The St Regis Residences (former Whiskey Priest site) | 150 Seaport Blvd | Seaport

Re: Whiskey Priest/Atlantic Beer Garden Redevelopment | 150 Seaport Blvd | Seaport

Just curious what is the history behind what were the causes to the pollution to Boston Harbor?

Combined sewer/storm drains that dumped directly into Boston Harbor and the local waterways like the Charles.

Re: Whiskey Priest/Atlantic Beer Garden Redevelopment | 150 Seaport Blvd | Seaport

Yea i think I remember reading sewage and waste water was still dumped into the harbor until like the 2000s where they finally declared everything was accounted for. There were centuries old infrastructure that had to be found and sealed/diverted and not everything was as easy to account for as you would hope.

^^^ And they needed to build the Deer Island Treatment Plant and dig the 9.5 mile outfill tunnel.

Boston-Harbor-Google.jpg

The gray that you see is sewage.

waterfront-and-red-river-x.jpg

The Cuyahoga River in Cleveland.

1959-LAKE-FIRE.jpg

The Cuyahoga River after it caught fire one day from the pollution.

In London, they suffer from 'fatbergs'. Don't read before eating.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...-concrete-fatberg-blocks-london-sewage-system

In Peabody, once upon a time there was a structure called a grease pit, which was astride the main sewer line leading to the outfall in Salem Harbor. The grease pit caught on fire, the local fire departments couldn't put the sewer fire out Only after Logan Airport responded with several crash trucks was the fire extinguished.

After they built a new sewage treatment plant in Salem (for Salem, Peabody, Marblehead, and several surrounding jurisdictions) a group of Russian engineers were given a tour. Sludge from the treatment of what flows in a sewer is dewatered by drying. The Russians asked what the chromium content of the dried sludge was. It was about as high as chromium ore. (Chromium was used in the tanning process in the Peabody leather plants.) Before the treatment plant, the chromium flowed straight into an outfall in Salem Harbor. The outfall was the prized fishing grounds for flounder, the fish feasting on what was coming out of the pipe. So for many years, all those who fished there for flounder were unwittingly poisoning themselves with a highly toxic heavy metal.

Boy, Boston Harbor was disgusting back then. Kudos to CLF for contributing to getting it cleaned up, it seemed that they actually cared back then. Now it appears that, while being funded by the taxpaying public, they are opposing what the public is overwhelmingly in favor of.

I am DYING at "hash brown"

I refuse to call a lb sign or a number sign by it's third and most annoying name.

I did rip off my good friend H though. She deserves all credit.

Boy, Boston Harbor was disgusting back then. Kudos to CLF for contributing to getting it cleaned up, it seemed that they actually cared back then. Now it appears that, while being funded by the taxpaying public, they are opposing what the public is overwhelmingly in favor of.

Aye. Growing up a kid in the 80's our annual trip to Maine brought us through downtown Boston. Back then, you knew if it was low tide just by riding through with the windows down.

Imagine selling all those million (+) dollar homes on the waterfront then.

In London, they suffer from 'fatbergs'. Don't read before eating....

In Peabody, once upon a time there was a structure called a grease pit, which was astride the main sewer line leading to the outfall in Salem Harbor. The grease pit caught on fire......

Great info. Thanks.

Take this with a grain of salt but I've heard rumors that Whisky Priest is planning to close in March. Their Facebook page mentions that they will be closing for good in 2018, though i'm not able to find an exact date.

Hopefully construction will commence shortly after.

Take this with a grain of salt but I've heard rumors that Whisky Priest is planning to close in March. Their Facebook page mentions that they will be closing for good in 2018, though i'm not able to find an exact date.

I've heard that they are closing after St. Patty's Day and relocating to a location downtown. That will be a hell of a party on March 17th!!

Whiskey Priest is no longer open for business on Sundays or Mondays according to a sign on their door. Step by step....goodbye

CLF's suit just got tossed out of court, groundbreaking is scheduled for April!

Excellent news if true! What a waste of TP money that suit was.

CLF suit was not really geared towards Whiskey Priest in my opinion. Its specifically focused on Harbor Garage Development.

The Whiskey Priest development was a smoke screen to say look at our foundation we are just trying to protect the waterfront.

Expect the kitchen sink to be thrown at HG when that actually gets approved if ever by CLF/Barr Foundation.

CLF/Barr Foundation are breaching what a non-profit company should be in my opinion using non-profit money for personal agendas. This is non-profit money that are fighting private developments that are actually good for the public. Not even sure how this is LEGAL to be a non-profit company to fight private developments that are based on your personal opinion.

CLF should do a poll in the Boston Globe.
Keep the current structure vs the developers proposal.
That would settle all public disputes.

While good intentioned the people who fought to get more for the piece of sidewalk in front of WP/ABG might have caused the city to lose more money from the loss of property taxes then they gained from increasing the cost of the land.

CLF/Barr Foundation are breaching what a non-profit company should be in my opinion using non-profit money for personal agendas. This is non-profit money that are fighting private developments that are actually good for the public. Not even sure how this is LEGAL to be a non-profit company to fight private developments that are based on your personal opinion.

As silly as the lawsuit was, I don't really see the issue here? A non-profit has a mission and raises money for it. People donate based on their feelings towards that mission. For whatever reason, the CLF took the position they did on these projects, but they spent money that was given to them voluntarily. It may seem backwards and against their mission, but I can't see how it could ever not be legal?

Right?

Suffolk Superior Court docket states “case settled”. That’s what they say when the sides have come to a mutually acceptable agreement. “Tossed out” (which of course is not a technical term) in my mind usually refers to a judge dismissing a case. It’s uncommon for dockets to be updated incorrectly.

The docket doesn’t reveal how it settled. The parties can, if they all choose, keep it confidential. I’d be surprised if they did keep it confidential but I of course don’t know. We shall see. As I repeated enough times upthread to have become boring about it, the general outlines of a sensible settlement were always apparent. I’m going to guess that they* announce the terms of the settlement and proclaim it a win win all around, even if some partial cave becomes apparent. This suit wasn’t in the courts nearly long enough for either side to have surrendered completely.

ETA: By “they” I mean to imply/predict (with minimal confidence) that all parties put out press releases. How well they all agree or contrast will be enlightening.

As silly as the lawsuit was, I don't really see the issue here? A non-profit has a mission and raises money for it. People donate based on their feelings towards that mission. For whatever reason, the CLF took the position they did on these projects, but they spent money that was given to them voluntarily. It may seem backwards and against their mission, but I can't see how it could ever not be legal?

Right?

Agreed. You shouldn't ban non profits just because you don't believe in what they stand for. For example I don't agree with the message of anti abortion groups, but they shouldn't be banned. It sets a bad precedence.

Suffolk Superior Court docket states “case settled”. That’s what they say when the sides have come to a mutually acceptable agreement. “Tossed out” (which of course is not a technical term) in my mind usually refers to a judge dismissing a case. It’s uncommon for rockets to be updated incorrectly.

New development requires paying off the right extortionists, yet we always wonder why new housing is so expensive in this region.

Right?

Because if you conducted poll to the overall public do you believe the majority of the public is going to say keep these developments vs building something that is proposed? The Non-profit is deceiving the way they are using funds to help the overall public only to support personal agendas.
That is what is illegal about it.

Its not a real non-profit company its a slush fund that avoids paying taxes to prevent garbage like this. Basically bribing political officials. CLF is a shell for the Barr Foundation to funnel money into. This billionaire should be investigated at this point
The IRS should be all over this.

Back