The Victor | 110 Beverly Street | West End

Re: Bulfinch triangle

I am actually going to defend the loading dock area for this specific street. Big buildings need service areas and in an area that lacks alley ways you have to stick them somewhere. If one building already has their service docks on a little used side street then I don't see the problem of sticking another one there. Not every street in the city needs to be hopping with life. There is a basic logistical reality that isn't pretty but having a single, small street like this used as an alley is better than filling the other streets with double parked trucks and bags of garbage.

I completely agree. I think it would be much worse putting the docks on Beverly. Having the docks on two-way Beverly would mean major traffic disruptions for un/loading. On the one-way Haverhill, traffic only flows in one direction and it's a much smoother process to load.

Beverley St. has axial views of the Zakim and the Custom House Tower. If there is going to be a "money" side of the building, its clear why they picked this one.

Also, given that theres a huge subway station and a 12 lane highway under the building, its fair to bet that those parking ramps go up, not down...
Yep, they go up. They have nice sections in the PNF. Parking is 2-4, with a roof garden on top of the parking bit on 5.

I am actually going to defend the loading dock area for this specific street. Big buildings need service areas and in an area that lacks alley ways you have to stick them somewhere. If one building already has their service docks on a little used side street then I don't see the problem of sticking another one there. Not every street in the city needs to be hopping with life. There is a basic logistical reality that isn't pretty but having a single, small street like this used as an alley is better than filling the other streets with double parked trucks and bags of garbage.

This is my thought, too. It looks to me like this street will function similarly to Providence St. between the Park Square building and the Boylston St. commercial buildings. It's an ugly street, hardly utilized by pedestrians, but the abutting buildings all work quite well on their public sides.

Sounds like they were going for a jazz-age-y sounding name.

Too bad they couldn't carry that theme over to the architecture.

If this was the victor, I'd hate to see the victim.

On Valenti Way they also have "MTA egress" listed. Isn't the MTA long gone?

perhaps it is an emergency egress for the highway (ex-Mass. Turnpike Authority) rather than the subway?

perhaps it is an emergency egress for the highway (ex-Mass. Turnpike Authority) rather than the subway?

Yup, that's what it is. I had a feeling it was related to the C/AT (on other drawings it's listed as "tunnel egress"), but couldn't remember what the acronym meant. Considering this was made in 2007 when the MTA existed, it makes sense. The acronym soup in this city really gets ridiculous. Thank you Ron.

The article does not say whom or what the development is named after. (Maybe just someone in the developer's family?)

It's located across the street from a sports arena. You know. Victory and that.

Enjoy the grass (and the view!) while you still can

IMG_0657.jpg

Update:
Suffolk Construction has posted a sign on the site, and construction fences are arriving.

Nice to see so much construction activity going on in the city in spite of the economy.

The fence is up now.

Good lord, Avinir sucks.

I presume that something will be built inside the fence

If that is the case a lot of this is the back door facing I presume another back door?

Otherwise the Penalty Box shold be cloned and replicated throughout the Triangle

The Victor

I thought it might be a good time to start a separate thread for this project now that it's officially underway.

Pols poised to welcome The Victor
By Herald Staff
Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The mayor and governor plan to converge tomorrow morning on the Rose Fitzgerald Kennedy Greenway — at the opposite end from the Occupy Boston encampment.

The top politicians will be on hand — likely with shovels — as a Denver developer breaks ground for a $140 million apartment project on a stretch of Greenway grass near North Station that has lain fallow since winning city approval four years ago.

Simpson Housing told the Herald this summer that The Victor will feature 286 units along with street-level stores and restaurants.

Apartments in the 11-story structure, located next to the Archstone Avenir luxury rental complex, are slated to be ready in the spring of 2013. Rates will range from the “low $2,000s” for studios to $3,800 for a two-bedroom unit.

The Victor will be built on land leased from the Massachusetts Department of Transportation. The site is across Causeway Street from the TD Garden where Interstate 93 runs underground south of the Zakim Bridge. The project is expected to create 400 construction jobs.

Renters will have access to 138 parking spaces. Amenities will include rooftop lounges, a health club and concierge services in the lobby. Two penthouse levels are planned.

Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino told the Herald in August that The Victor “will bring vitality to our downtown with the influx of new residents and retail space. I’m excited to see this project move forward.”

Link

Last edited:
Re: The Victor

Can we stop putting bland boxes in the freed up space in Bullfinch Triangle? This looks like something slated for the Seaport.

I like the glass to reflect the Zakim Bridge, though. Very cool.

Re: The Victor

They call it The Victor but give a design fit for the Los Angeles Clippers....

I hear you, Van, but what this shows is the continuing influence of "superblock mentality." Yes, there will be a street - an alleyway if we're being honest - between the Avenir and the Victor, but for all intents and purposes it will not be a part of the neighborhood experience - it's the totality of these two landscrapers put together that will characterize the area.

The only part of the plan which may prove me wrong is the fact that the MBTA entances and exits will face this street. This seems weird - imagine if Hynes station opened into the mid-block alley! - but who knows, it may overcome the alley-ness of the street and define it as a public space.

One other observation: every single side of the Avenir is completely, absolutely, dead streetwall. Unless there are plans for retail that haven't come about yet...?

Shep .. I think that it is not so much a matter of choice as necessity -- the multiude of underground structures in the area force what you can put and where.

I saw a 3D Computer Graphic of the volume bounded roughly by the Government Center ramp and the North Station / Storrow Drive ramp this is one of the busiest volumes on the planet (not much of an exageration);

You of course have:
1) the I-93 itself with its accompanying ramps to/fro Gov'tCenter, the Airport Tunnels
2) the transit system --- the Green Line, Organge Line and Blue LIne tunnels, platforms, lobbies,
3) emergency egress tunnels, and stairs for all of the highway and transit tunnels,
4) utility tunnels for the highways and transit system

In addition to simplify the existing spagehtti bowl of wires and pipes -- a major task of the Big Dig was to create two specialized utllity tunnels running on either side of the I-93 corridor with several cross tunnels -- these contain:

electric power -- major electric power transmission lines, distriitom feeders, transformer and switching
communications -- fiberoptic, coaxial and wire telecomunications cabling
major gas, water and sewer pipes and distribution to the various buildings;
steam lines for distrinct heating/cooling
and a few others

-- that volume is the textbook case for "DigSafe"

PS in the absence of the 3D computerized design tools -- the volume in question could never have existed in as compact a form as it does and there woud have to be large wasted surface regions that couldn't be built upon -- similar to rural HV transmission coridors

Last edited:

Back