Tree House Residence Hall Tower @ MassArt | 578 Huntington Avenue | Fenway

Re: Mass Art Dormitory

Would love to know what they're doing with the current site of the field. It's so awkward sitting in front of the MFA.

The field would be a perfect site for a major new building but what about the "shadows" it would cast on the MFA lawn? Have to consider those shadows! Of course, in the suburbs there are rarely shadows due to buildings being separated by massive parking lots. Let's suburbanize the city!!!!

Seriously though, that triangular block is shared with Northeastern University which owns the eastern third and is occupied by two converted apartment houses and the old Punter's Pub building at the tip. How about NU and WIT building a building that could be used by both institutions on the whole block: residence hall with classrooms etc.

It doesn't have to be tall; just something that continues the cornice line of the other buildings on the block and presents a roughly symmetrical block to anyone exiting the MFA anf gazing across the street.

NU owns all besides Punters/UHOP i believe so putting a building there is not going to happen. WIT is already planning on putting a building on Sweeney Field. And you are nuts if you think NU would ever build something academic or dorm related with Wentworth.

That WIT field is easily large enough to accommodate a quad-like complex of buildings. It would greatly impact their presence on Huntington. As an architectural and engineering school, I've always been surprised that WIT continues to build all it's buildings in subdued earth tones; while they are nice, they seem to be little more than infill while other schools (MassArt, Simmons, Emmanuel) go for more daring designs.

The Goody Clancy Render of the Wentworth campus has the Firehouse being replaced by an academic building. Engine 39 is one of the busier stations in Boston. I can't see them replacing this strategically located fire station.

I heard a while ago that this station was being slated for decommission. I could be wrong though, maybe a new deal was struck. If it was that busy perhaps a new, larger station is being planned.

Judging by that rendering above it's not so much a setback as a well defined lawn enclosed on 3 sites.

Good eye, it might actually work.

NU owns all besides Punters/UHOP i believe so putting a building there is not going to happen. WIT is already planning on putting a building on Sweeney Field. And you are nuts if you think NU would ever build something academic or dorm related with Wentworth.

Why not? Most schools in Boston collaborate -- physically and virtually.

I may just be very ignorant on this subject. I know tiny schools will share in large schools buildings/facilities like Northeastern and the music schools around it or Lesley and Harvard, but two big schools sharing a residential dorm is very different. Especially with Northeastern wanting every dorm room they can get on campus right now.

Wentworth is a member of the Colleges of the Fenway consortium, which includes MassArt and several other nearby small schools, but doesn't include Northeastern.

I heard a while ago that this station was being slated for decommission. I could be wrong though, maybe a new deal was struck. If it was that busy perhaps a new, larger station is being planned.

I don't think the city would be in any rush to replace Engine 37's firehouse unless it was being funded by or built in conjunction with a development like Engine 10 with 125 High. I recall reading somewhere that renovations were planned in terms of exterior masonry and plumbing and electrical systems, but there was nothing about outright replacement or decommissioning.

Here's their campus center addition:

img5826yq.jpg

img5827.jpg

Was that done by the same people who did all the Blackstone buildings renovations downtown?

2009 -- Year of the Apple Store knockoffs

I hate to say this because it is truly atrocious, but on foot, it's not nearly as repulsive. It's such a narrow street that you really cannot see much else aside from the glass wall.

Boston is becoming so ordinary.

Why so surprised? It's not like there's a modern Boston style. It's the same starchitcrap that's going up from NY to Tulsa, and not even faux-brick cladding can hide that fact.

Starchitcrap? Really? I doubt Renzo Piano or any of his peers had anything to do with that.

More like hackitecture.

I like the glass addition, it's the flesh colored panels that look absurd. These need to be painted a different color or replaced with a better looking material.

The flesh panels and windows are original to the building, so perhaps they'll get replaced. The renderings are inconclusive on this.

It's the same starchitcrap that's going up from NY to Tulsa, and not even faux-brick cladding can hide that fact.

A simple glass box is now considered starchitecture? And what faux brick cladding are we referring to?

What about the firehouse on Huntington/Ruggles?

Back