Tree House Residence Hall Tower @ MassArt | 578 Huntington Avenue | Fenway

The trees had to be located sparingly on top of columns though:

Of course, probably cause the garden was thought of and installed after the garage was already built! I imagine if a garage or structure is built with a rooftop garden in mind (say six floors high), that provisions for trees would already be built into the structure.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/cambridge-center-roof-garden-cambridge

Here's an example of a roof garden across the river in Cambridge. Six floors up, (about the same height as what's proposed to be planted on at Boylston West), and it has a few decent sized trees! We lived in a new high rise here in Atlanta (the Metropolis)with a pool deck above the parking garage! Fairly large trees were placed in very large pots and survive to this day, 15 years later! We're talking a few floors above the street, not 50 floors up. It's quite doable!

This is a very different animal in that it has 3 or so feet of soil and could be done because of the nature of the structure, but your point is well taken. Some trees do survive on a raised platform. I hope they can pull off the sexy rendering. More often than not what happens is what happened at the Berhakis Center at Northeastern. The trees have a really hard time establishing.

This is a very different animal in that it has 3 or so feet of soil and could be done because of the nature of the structure, but your point is well taken. Some trees do survive on a raised platform. I hope they can pull off the sexy rendering. More often than not what happens is what happened at the Berhakis Center at Northeastern. The trees have a really hard time establishing.

There are trees in the mountains in many different parts of the world subjected to far more challenging conditions than sitting in a pot on a balcony or a top a parking garage. I've seen trees of quite substantial size, happily growing out of a narrow crack in an outcrop of rock which filled with organic debris.

If the tree gets light, and water, and if the wind and temperature are not extreme -- then the right species of tree will manage to not just survive but thrive -- Google Bristle Cone Pine if you are skeptical

It can be done, and I hope they are successful. My skepticism comes from experience. I hope the best for whoever proposed this type of extensive planting.

My comments were more about the overselling designers often do in their renderings. I am sure this is a very competent team and will get it done right.

cca

Apologies, but can someone explain what development we're talking about? It seems like the dorm tower thread has become something of a catch-all for MassArt stuff...

Apologies, but can someone explain what development we're talking about? It seems like the dorm tower thread has become something of a catch-all for MassArt stuff...

tmac posted a render of the terrace on Boylston West that showed the MassArt TreeHouse and then the thread diverged into a discussion about vegetated roofs in regard to the proposed one at Boylston West. I requested for the posts to be moved, but nothing has happened yet.

This thread is also being used to document the new MassArt Media Center on Huntington. Kind of a mess.

Let's make Data a mod since (she's)? always all over these things. There, I solved that problem and bestowed great power upon you. Don't go abusing it.

Let's make Data a mod since (she's)? always all over these things. There, I solved that problem and bestowed great power upon you. Don't go abusing it.

The powers that be have declined this reasonable request.

tmac posted a render of the terrace on Boylston West that showed the MassArt TreeHouse and then the thread diverged into a discussion about vegetated roofs in regard to the proposed one at Boylston West. I requested for the posts to be moved, but nothing has happened yet.

This thread is also being used to document the new MassArt Media Center on Huntington. Kind of a mess.

Jesus. Actually, I posted the image but whatever, I'm surprised at what this degenerated into. I just like the treehouse and all the pictures kz takes of it.

So this image of Treehouse's BIM came up on Twitter during a discussion about why the tower is shaped and located on the site as it is due to the giant MWRA culvert under the plaza. Thought it was worth sharing, as it's really cool. This was ADD Inc's first fully-BIM coordinated project.

https://twitter.com/MarkOdryna/status/623184702023856128

CKX_Ln2W8AA9T87.jpg:large

Back