Twenty Two Liberty @ Fan Pier | 22 Liberty Drive - Parcel C | Seaport

Re: Twenty Two Liberty @ Fan Pier | 22 Liberty Drive | Seaport

Are we loving this? Where are the "What ... is this Miami Beach" comments?

cca

A little more Miami Beach and a little less Novosibirsk is a good thing in my humble estimation.

I wonder how the new FEMA maps will impact the project.

Like them both. The condo is sleek enough and likely only one of a few buildings in the area that will have these more attractive height/width proportions. The ground floor doesn't seem to have the platform-as-fortress that is so deadly to many Miami condos.

The office building is a box, but not bad as boxes go.

I wonder how the new FEMA maps will impact the project.

If you live on a high floor in a flood area do you still need flood insurance? because that would be stupid

Hey cool, some things were released to the public, so I can finally lose the shroud of secrecy. Thanks a ton Hutchinson for finding that presentation with the renders. =P

I thought the fan design of the building was a pretty neat response to the site and the retail along the water should be great. Definitely another solid building for CBT's repertoire.

If you live on a high floor in a flood area do you still need flood insurance? because that would be stupid

Yes yes yes yes yes. Everyone in a flood zone needs flood insurance because if the lobby floods and ruins the elevators, electricity etc and you have to move out temporarily, you can be covered for the expenses. Even though your apartment specifically didn't flood, you still feel the impacts from the flood. This is especially important for businesses and organizational resiliency. If you are on the 38th floor of a high rise, you still need flood insurance because if your business has to stop or relocate due to the building being flooded, you need to be able to continue your operations and remain financially sound.

^ Yes love to see so much retail along the water. Probably a restaurant or two here?

I realy like how the blue glass office box is not actually a box. Its copies the angle of the ICA and extends it down the street.

Any sense of timing here? the whole site's been approved, Parcel A & B are getting towards done, Parcel C has begun, Parcel I is drawn up, D E & F (EDIT: H not F) exist as ideas... but is there a projected schedule? when we might see these buildings completed or occupied?

Last edited:

Any sense of timing here? the whole site's been approved, Parcel A & B are getting towards done, Parcel C has begun, Parcel I is drawn up, D E & F exist as ideas... but is there a projected schedule? when we might see these buildings completed or occupied?

F is completed already (One Marina Park), my list below

Parcel A - Vertex 1 - Almost complete
Parcel B - Vertex 2 - Almost complete
Parcel C - 22 Liberty Drive - Under Construction
Parcel D - Temporary Building for Louis Boston - no current plans
Parcel E - Empty Lot - no current plans
Parcel F - One Marina Drive - Complete
Parcel H - Empty Lot - no current plans
Public Green - Complete
Fan Pier Park - Design Complete - Construction to begin after completion of 22 Liberty Drive (http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/south_boston/2013/05/hold_fan_pier_park_receives_ok.html)

So by my count 10 different lots on fan pier property - 2 complete, 2 nearing completion, 1 under construction, 2 with completed design, 1 temporary building and 2 empty lots

F is completed already (One Marina Park), my list below

Parcel A - Vertex 1 - Almost complete
Parcel B - Vertex 2 - Almost complete
Parcel C - 22 Liberty Drive - Under Construction
Parcel D - Temporary Building for Louis Boston - no current plans
Parcel E - Empty Lot - no current plans
Parcel F - One Marina Drive - Complete
Parcel H - Empty Lot - no current plans
Public Green - Complete
Fan Pier Park - Design Complete - Construction to begin after completion of 22 Liberty Drive (http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/south_boston/2013/05/hold_fan_pier_park_receives_ok.html)

So by my count 10 different lots on fan pier property - 2 complete, 2 nearing completion, 1 under construction, 2 with completed design, 1 temporary building and 2 empty lots

what is to happen to the temporary building? and the empty lots? will they be redeveloped eventually? i dont see any empty lots on the master plan. where are they?

Fallon has agreed to build the park in front of 22 Liberty earlier than he was required. He thinks he needs it to help maximize revenue from the residential buildings (incl 22 Liberty) so he's front loading it.

I wonder if they are intelligently making provisions to ensure that critical infrastructure such as elevators and other electrical components will be able to function soon after a flood. I would assume they would use marine grade electrical wiring and components and place all critical items on higher floors or the roof.

I just sent this letter to the BRA (Fan Pier comments are open through 2014)

Dear members of the BRA and applicable review boards,

I am delighted with the way Fan Pier is progressing. The buildings are varied in style and are planned with active ground floor uses in mind. I have one reservation however which I would like to being to your attention. It may seem minor, but I believe it sets the tone for the area in a very tangible way.

I'm referring, actually, to the street names.

Marina Park "Drive,"Harbor Shore "Drive," Bond "Drive" and Liberty "Drive" are not street names befitting a dense walkable neighborhood such as Fan Pier and adjacent Fort Point. Other "Drives" in the city - Storrow, for example - are as the suffix would imply long highways built primarily for automotive use. "Drives" are also prevalent in office parks - Staples Drive off of Route 9 in Framingham, for example - for the similar reason that they are car-oriented thoroughfares that lead to parking lots.

The roadways of Fan Pier are rightly designed as complete streets - and I believe that it's fitting we call them as such. Complete "streets" are public spaces. They have room for cars, pedestrians, cafe tables, bikes, and transit. "Drives" by contrast are built for cars. What we call these roadways sends a signal about their intended use, and makes a statement about the neighborhood. Nobody instinctively picks out a "Drive" on a map and knows that it would be a great place to take a leisurely stroll (the old joke about "driving on a parkway" aside).

My key comment is therefore about the suffixes planned for the roadway names of Fan Pier. But I'd be remiss if I also didn't mention the names themselves. Marina Park, Harbor Shore, Fan Pier Boulevard, Courthouse Way, Waterside Avenue... do these sound like Boston? Do they instill a unique sense of place? No: they sound like Galveston, Miami, or Honolulu. Similarly, National Harbor, a riverside development near Washington, DC in Maryland, contains roadways named "American Way," "National Harbor Boulevard," and "Waterfront Street." Names that provide no sense of location, and sound like marketing copy devised by a Vice President of Sales in a corporate office somewhere outside Orlando. The roadway names of Fan Pier will forever separate this neighborhood from organic Boston because of these - to put it bluntly - lazy and generic names.

What are alternatives? Most easily, the north-south streets of Fan Pier can be continuous from their Fort Point counterparts, to weave them more firmly into the psychological fabric of the organic city. Courthouse Way is actually Farnsworth Street. And, Fan Pier Boulevard is actually Thomson Place. That's an obvious and uncontroversial beginning.

As for the other streets? There are many options that impart meaning. They can honor participants of the Boston Tea Party: Crafts, Cooper, Hewes, Kinnison. They can honor famous clipper ships built right here in Boston: Nausett, Ganges, Golden Fleece, Blue Jacket. They can honor trailblazers of the city's maritime industry.

Names that are devoid of meaning are devoid of place. Imagine Yawkey Way (named after a renowned bigot!) renamed Baseball Drive, and Lansdowne Street renamed Stadium Boulevard. You can't; to do so would be to destroy something very essential, very local, very organic. Leaving a neighborhood with names like Harbor Shore Drive creates an impression that nobody really cared. Lets not let that be our legacy here in the Seaport.

Thank you for considering this comment and please feel free to follow up with me by phone or email.

Great letter and well written. However, how do you expect this letter to stand out among the letters written in crayon from the militant NIMBY moonbats?

Because I only used three colors of crayon.

what is to happen to the temporary building? and the empty lots? will they be redeveloped eventually? i dont see any empty lots on the master plan. where are they?

I believe they will all be developed, however they will be developed most likely post 2015, or until they can secure tenants.

Link to download the document with renderings for Parcel C, the condo building currently under construction - http://www.bostonredevelopmentautho...1-08-2013-bcdc-presentation-fan-pier-parcel-c

Link to download the document with renderings for Parcel I, the parcel behind the ICA - http://www.bostonredevelopmentautho...6-04-2013-bcdc-presentation-fan-pier-parcel-1

Extracted images from the second document for Parcel I:

Back