Twenty Two Liberty @ Fan Pier | 22 Liberty Drive - Parcel C | Seaport

Re: Twenty Two Liberty @ Fan Pier | 22 Liberty Drive | Seaport

Extracted images from the second document:

The new version of the park looks much better. I like the little inlets, will make it more interesting in person.

Re: Goodwin Proctor and Parcel I.

This week's BBJ interviewed a CRE broker whose deals to date included signing GP to Fan Pier. But we've seen some posts here saying GP has not "approved" the move or something along those lines. Would (or could) Fallon build Parcel I on spec?

BBJ isn't gospel, but they probably wouldn't keep touting a deal that rests on an unsigned lease right? The Globe reported in December 2012 that the deal was done.

So is the confusion just here on ArchBoston or does someone actually have knowledge that BBJ, the CRE broker they interviewed and the Globe does not?

Anyway, that Fallon disclosed renderings of both 22 Liberty and Parcel I in June tends to indicate that these buildings are moving forward together. Obviously 22 Liberty has started. Any word on when Parcel I breaks ground?

EDIT: GP signed an LOI in December 2012.

Shepard, not only is that a great letter to the BRA, it should be submitted to the Globe for an Op-Ed piece.

That is not the final design.

Attached is the link for the pnf on the park, will only have one inlet they are referring to it as a "Tidal Well".

http://www.bostonredevelopmentautho...ns/05-07-2013-bcdc-presentation-fan-pier-park

Wow, that is so much worse. Well at least they are keeping the bridge over it, and i guess its better than no inlet. I just like the kinda natural looking coastline of the picture i thought was the final, especially if those are indeed topography lines.

any indication of "pier point" will be?

The "inlet" or whatever it is may be cooler than appears from the plan. If you look at the images used as precedents it seems like that may turn out to be some kind of stone water feature...perhaps a waterfall of harbor water?

The "inlet" or whatever it is may be cooler than appears from the plan. If you look at the images used as precedents it seems like that may turn out to be some kind of stone water feature...perhaps a waterfall of harbor water?

I did not see that. Looks like the waterfall at the National Museum of Art in DC and might actually be really beautiful. I tentatively retract my previous statement.

I did not see that. Looks like the waterfall at the National Museum of Art in DC and might actually be really beautiful. I tentatively retract my previous statement.

It seems it is planned as a waterfall, from the presentation linked above

"Fan Pier Park’s proposed centerpiece feature is a tidal well that references the historical
boat slip Stepped, terracing stone-block walls will delineate the harbor’s water level,
making intelligible the ebb and flow of ocean tides throughout the day. The tidal well
will also include a cascading fountain element that will move water down and across the
stepped walls of the well. Sited on axis with Fan Pier Boulevard, the tidal well also serves
as a visual termination of the street."

I wish they would move that boat dock that extends out from the back (or is it the front) of the ICA. It's going to interfere with the effect you get, in the suspended Mediatheque/Theater, of hanging out over the water.

I wish they would move that boat dock that extends out from the back (or is it the front) of the ICA. It's going to interfere with the effect you get, in the suspended Mediatheque/Theater, of hanging out over the water.

I wouldn't count on that happening, as transient dockage, those slips are going to be among the most valuable in the country.

I just sent this letter to the BRA (Fan Pier comments are open through 2014)

I could not agree more with every word of this. Well done!

I took a look at the presentation and it is quite impressive

If they actually build it as described and illustrated in the renderings it will be the highlight of all of the new parkland in the Seaport Innovation District

The Tidal well is the key to the uniqueness and organicness of the site and the strength of its design,.

Few highly populated places have anything like Boston's regular daily 9+ foot tidal range -- the well will let us return to the natural ebb and flow of the tides without having to go to the beach.

The the extra monthly range due to the lunar/solar alignment will both be art and science -- people will see the natural range + the Neap / and able to put into context the "amped-up" hype about the few inches of sea level rise predicted over the next 100 years by the majority of the Anthropogenic Global Warnming models

There are two missing elements to make it a truly inspired design:

1) A well designed Sun Dial with both daily and annual representation

2) the other missing element is a large series of Bronze Maps illustrating the evoluion of the Fan pier coastline from mudflat to the lat 19th century railroad oriented fan piers to today's remanufactured urban shoreline

But otherwise its some of the best landf-reforming I've seen since Paul Revere's Landing and the NorthPoint Park

Buyers may be excited; their flood insurance agents overjoyed.

I just sent this letter to the BRA (Fan Pier comments are open through 2014)

Shep -- This the Innovation District -- let's innovate -- all innovators with nautical connections and Boston roots or links

1) McKay -- Clippers
2) Fesenden -- Submarine Signal Co. and first AM radio transmission
3) Watson -- of the phone but also -- in 1883 Watson founded the Fore River Ship and Engine Building Company -- today's former General Dynamics Quincy Shipbuilding
4) Joshua Humphreys designed Constitution and her sisters -- larger and more heavily armed and built than standard frigates of the period
5) Edmund Hartt's shipyard built the Constitution in his eponymous yard
6) BLAKE & KNOWLES STEAM PUMP COMPANY -- Kendall Boiler and Tank Co. -- Largest Individual Industry in Cambridge and Second Largest Plant of Its Kind in the Country—Nearly 1600 Men Employed - complete pumping units can always be supplied on demand. ' A specialty of the Blake & Knowles works is pumps for marine purposes. They have supplied the entire pumping outfit for a majority of the modern cruisers, battleships and other government boats, and today [1907] a large proportion of the work on which the company is engaged, is government ' work.
7) Percy Spencer -- innovator in the manufacture of the Cavity Magnetron core of Microwave Radar responsible for "Winning the war in the Pacific"
8) Moses Farmer -- in 1851, he designed and managed the construction of the Boston fire-alarm service in 1860 He built a platinum filament incandescent light and lit the parlor of his home at 11 Pearl St in Salem with incandescent lamps, the first house in the world to be lit by electricity. He was a co-inventor of the self-exciting dynamo, an electric generator using electromagnets for the field which are energized by the generator output -- essential for modern marine propulsion
9) Charles Pearson and Chelsea Clok who invented the ship's bell clock having a fully encased chime and striking mechanism, patented in 1900 -- still in production
10) George B. Grant inventor, author and founder of Boston Gear Works pioneer in gear cutting machinery and standardized gearing

There are probably a whole lot of others -- its rare in our neck of the woods where there could be an integrated coherent system of streets connected to a theme -- and what better a theme for the Seaport / Innovation District -- than innovation related to marine and maritime

Open to suggestions -- I suggest perhaps this spin off as a separate Thread

Last edited:

Image from U-Hub http://www.universalhub.com/2013/ground-broken-new-waterfront-condo-project

fanpierbuilding.jpg

Wow. That looks infinitely better than the other render...love the way the facade steps back along with the curve of fan pier. If the glass is as nice as it is in this render the project will be a major success.

So far each building on Fan Pier has been an improvement over the previous. Like to see that trend continue throughout.

The influx of money from these placing filling the way they appear to be can't hurt.
Seem 1MP is the only one truly built on "spec", so it would make sense it has the cheapest look.

That view in the rendering above gives me more hope for this area. That park is such a better place and use than the big rectangle next door to it.

Back