Union Square D2.1 | 10 Prospect Street | Somerville

Approaching from East Somerville.

D97DE712-4F81-4A39-88E8-C0DB36C8C6EE.jpeg

I might miss the McGrath overpass when it’s gone. It’s some real urban Somerville grit - pidgins and all.

DF3125CC-5D73-4C86-986A-CCF19ACC221B.jpeg

I’d say that the Prospect Tower viewing platform is just about level with the 8th level (currently the top) floor plate of the lab bldg.

View attachment 24199

@Bruins11363 @dhawkins @DwnTwnr: You folks seem to have knowledge of elevator cores. What’s with the lack of one in this lab building going up in Union Sq?? (See attachment above) I don’t recall ever seeing steel going up before/without a core.

@Bruins11363 @dhawkins @DwnTwnr: You folks seem to have knowledge of elevator cores. What’s with the lack of one in this lab building going up in Union Sq?? (See attachment above) I don’t recall ever seeing steel going up before/without a core.
There is actually still a core it's just made out of steel if you look closely at the cross bracing running in the middle. Some go this route for various reasons - the hub on causeway office tower did it because it's much lighter than concrete and was going on top of the existing podium that was already built independently of the potential tower

There is actually still a core it's just made out of steel if you look closely at the cross bracing running in the middle. Some go this route for various reasons - the hub on causeway office tower did it because it's much lighter than concrete and was going on top of the existing podium that was already built independently of the potential tower

I see that now - thx! But will the elevators and stairs still need to be enclosed in concrete for fireproofing?

Back