W Hotel | 100 Stuart St | Theater District

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: W Hotel

I also really like the building! Looks good from many angles.

I'm typically not a fan of wide buildings but I like this one. The wall of blue glass facing Stuart Street reminds me of the ocean.

today from Dorchester
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-15.jpg
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-16.jpg

Last edited:

Reposting this shot from my apartment from page 33, followed by one from just over an hour ago:

DSC_5673i.jpg

I just posted this second picture in the POTD thread, but I wanted to repost it here since it has the W hotel in it:

3106158772_a24a98988e_b.jpg

Walked by this today (pics coming). I like it. I don't love it but it works. I think it's biggest failing will be a lack of street activity. All the new buildings along Kneeland and Stuart Sts have really sterile and uninviting street levels which is due to the small number of doors spaced far apart.

Ooo Van, you're back in the bean for the holidays? cool

Staying with the relatives down in Plymouth and was just in the city for the day. I don't spend enough time in the city but whenever I do it always feels way too comfortable for me. I kinda feel like if I spend too much time back I'm gonna gain 10lbs.

Funny, your 1776th post talked about Plymouth -- well I guess 1776 and Plymouth have very little to do with each other past being important parts of American history.

my fiancee lives in Plymouth (Manomet)

I think it's biggest failing will be a lack of street activity. All the new buildings along Kneeland and Stuart Sts have really sterile and uninviting street levels which is due to the small number of doors spaced far apart.

Good observation. The base of Tufts is even worse.

I wonder if the BRA is acquiesing to a "fortress architecture" mentality held by property owners/developers in rougher neighborhoods. This mistake assumes that nothing changes, but ultimately leads to obsolence due to incongruity. I submit Copley Place as Exhibit A.

Small world, castevens. My grandparents have a house on Homer Ave and my family and I spent weekends in the summer down there growing up.

today 12-30-08 my favorite view!
118.jpg
almost finnish exterior
121.jpg

I've just decided that I like it. Maybe a bit too wide along Stuart, but I like the shiny/translucent facade. The area is a bit over-(soot stained) bricked and this building really pops in part of town that for being an entertainment district is amazingly drab thanks to the Radisson, Tranportation Building, NEMC, etc, and sporadic but plentiful surface lots.

Stick some gaudy vestibule lighting on there and call it a day. The problem with the Ritz, is aside from the theatre, it tries too hard to be unoffensive at the street level, which has translated into really poor lighting and pedestrian interaction along Essex and Washington.

I'm predicting that this corner will see a more substantial reduction in drug deals than the corner of Essex and Washington simply due to the sheer volume of light that will be projected into the intersection.

Re: Top of the HANCOCK

Great pics!

This pic seems to show a very large setback for the tower portion of the W hotel. Too large of a setback IMO. Maybe the setback appears larger than it actually is given the angle where the shot was taken.

Re: Top of the HANCOCK

this comes right out to the sidewalk' then the tower is set back on the right side only.
121.jpg

Yea this thing is right up to the street pretty much. It's just a curve in the street further down which you're not able to see in that picture.

This is taking shape as a great addition to the area.

Now all we need is the development of the "marquee" building across the street to really liven up the intersection.

I'll withhold my decision until it's inhabited, but I think I really like it. Definitely adds presence to the skyline, I think the glass is rather contextual (in the way the Hancock was contextual)-offering a bit of cleanliness and reflection in such a dirty (Radisson) part of the city, and since it's a hotel, there should be plenty of street-action-the guests coming and going, the doorman calling cabs and at least light exuding from the restaurants or whatever they put in the lobby.

Now I'll have to wait in line to go to my bar (Rock Bottom) across the street :(

Oh well, all in the name of progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back