W Hotel | 100 Stuart St | Theater District

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: W Hotel

It's just three floors of glass, scaled well to the street, and functions as a large advertisement for the products inside. As do the glass windows of the D|R building on Brattle Street in Cambridge. I don't think this huge hotel can be compared to either of those.

The first three floors of the W could be scaled well to the street. Above that, importance to the pedestrian drops off (I thought). One strong aspect of the Apple Store or Design Research is the lack of (mullions?). An uninterrupted glass surface does a better job of communicating transparency, and as such, inviting pedestrians into the building. Also, low-iron glass is much lighter and clearer, than the blue- or green-hued glass on the W.

I guess comparing a hotel to a retail store is difficult, as pedestrians technically can't just saunter into a hotel lobby, er, living room. But, for the guests and armchair architecture critics, it does make a difference, IMO.

Last edited:

Has anyone stayed here yet? I was going to treat myself to a night in the city and thinking about the W... Didn't know it was already open. Any reviews??

img4662.jpg

img4663.jpg

img4664.jpg

Apple Store = design

Kinetic Lighting = Crutch for boring design.

cca

When did Boston of all places start becoming obsessed with Hong Hongy lights?

I like tacky lighting in the context of the Theater District/Chinatown.

^Me too. In the context, it works. I really with that slender building with the lightboards that was proposed to be built not far from here was built. It was very Times Square-esque.

^^ It was going to be built directly across the street! Hopefully it will rise someday...

Anyway, I also like the lighting for this building...it wouldn't work in Back Bay or Beacon Hill, but in the Theater District/Chinatown it just works.

^^Yeah, but I could also see it working in DTX. Turn that place more Times Squaresque and it would drive business.

Why can't we turn it more DTX-esque, or even better, more Washington St.-esque first? I mean, if the current theme on the board is anti-novelty, then we might as well have something original. I'd be happiest if they took the best elements of Times Square and threw a uniquely Boston spin on things.

Why can't we turn it more DTX-esque, or even better, more Washington St.-esque first? I mean, if the current theme on the board is anti-novelty, then we might as well have something original. I'd be happiest if they took the best elements of Times Square and threw a uniquely Boston spin on things.

What, like instead of LCD screens everywhere, we plaster advertisements onto pre-cast concrete panels?

:D Thank you! Thank you! I'll be here all week!

The first closing in the W Hotel and Residences was recorded at the Suffolk County Registry of Deeds, yesterday. The buyer purchased a one-bed, one-bath, 857+/- square foot home on the 19th-floor. The purchase price was $750,000 or approximately $875 per square foot. (Purchase price included one parking space, apparently.)

Great pics, KZ...I'm grateful for this building, finally filling in the streetscape and ridding us of that parking lot. It gives this part of Boston a truly urban feel now and balances the bulk of the transportation bldg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back