Waterside Place 1A | 505 Congress Street | Seaport

Re: Waterside Place | 505 Congress Street | Seaport

Looks like it belongs in the Soviet Union or could be something still standing from the Chernobyl disaster.

A lot of the old Soviet era buildings in Russia are being reworked. They now look a lot better than this.

Not to mention that those buildings were built in droves for the working class, not as luxury apartments..

This Building speaks of Innovation for the 21st century in Boston. This must be a tax break special for this developer.

Has anyone seen renderings for Phase 2, which may be called Waterside Crossing? Drew has a ground lease for three acres and I doubt Waterside Place is anywhere near three acres.

And if Waterside Crossing masks the south-facing facade of Waterside Place, then the only people who have to live with that south facade are the tenants of Waterside Crossing.

"Bask in my Glory"

Oh, I get it. That overhang thing on the end of the roof is the opener for the Hood Milk Bottle!

Now that both facades are finished, the true amount of VE that went on in this building is starting to set in with me and is simply staggering. WOW. This is a textbook example of a building being VE'd to death. Every single element of depth on the facade was VE'd. The original render showed so much depth and variation. Notice all of those dark spandrel panels popping out running between all the windows. The balconies are gone as well.

6b891bd9-c6b4-46b5-a13d-9a0693fae57c

This thing should win Worst 2013 Development unanimously. If it doesn't I am going to question some of the voters sanity.

It looks like the vomit of a lovechild created by a dinosaur turd and funguss monster.

I'm going to miss this thread when this building is officially complete.

This thing should win Worst 2013 Development unanimously. If it doesn't I am going to question some of the voters sanity.

Maybe the City can force a façade do-over like the Hotel Commonwealth. The steaming pile that was built was not what was approved.

Is the rendering that Data posted the design as approved? If so, there should be serious discussion about a do-over here. How did th issue get raised in the Hotel Commonwealth case?

If I remember correctly, the Hotel Commonwealth approved renderings were wayyy different than what was built. The complaint was raised by the community groups that said WTF to the city.

Is the rendering that Data posted the design as approved? If so, there should be serious discussion about a do-over here. How did th issue get raised in the Hotel Commonwealth case?

The render I provided is straight from the BRA.

Come on Data, fight fight for the home team!

On Saturday, I rode past it for the first time. Everything about it says the developer just didn't care. I see zero pride in the work.

A lot of the old Soviet era buildings in Russia are being reworked. They now look a lot better than this.

Jeff -- In Poland -- some of the Soviet-era buildings are being reworked

Those buildings constructed throughout the 50's while bizarre and often inhuman scale did have some character -- even if -- mostly Stalin-lived here Workers of the World Unite style with the iconic statuary of Ivan and Ludmila with their rolled-up sleeves and bulging "Stakhanovite Muscles" [especially Ludmilla]

The Brezhnev and later buildings were so poorly built, out fo inferior materials ["They pretend to pay us and we pretend to work"] and their presence is so destructive to the soul that they are for the most part being leveled. In their place modern western-style, typically much smaller multifamily buildings are rising on their footprints. If you want an example of this think about Columbia Point Housing Project
imagescolumbia-point-1986-small1.jpg

Columbia_20Point_201961_20aerial_small.jpg

6967635871_5cb5b788d0_z.jpg

and its replacement with the mixed-income neighborhood of Harbor Point
bulfinch-harborpoint.jpg

51422f92e0252697.png

4f75ddf082a76431.jpg

Side by side:

zZAH2c5.jpg

I can't tell from that rendering, but was the entire facade originally supposed to be grey glass?

idk why they went out of their way to make this look hideous all they had to do was make it all glass and it would have not stood out at all.

In the side by side the rendering is the front, the photo is the back. As rendered this could have been beautiful. The back will soon enough be blocked by whatever is going up behind it.

Plusses: the thinness is good, not tall but doesn't look stumpy; I like the bottle opener top; the front, while nothing great, isn't quite as horrible as some make it out to be.

Back