Waterside Place 1A | 505 Congress Street | Seaport

Re: Waterside Place | 505 Congress Street | Seaport

Now that is ironic. I must say it looks a lot better on that site, appearing to be black or gray. Windows look a lot smaller as built.

And balconies.....did these guys pull a Commonwealth Hotel?

On Jan 7th,

5:15 - 5:16 Call to Order
Approval of December 3rd, 2013 Minutes
Signature of Votes/Committee sign-up sheet

5:16 - 5:20 Report from Review Committee:
Pier 4 Phase 2 NPC
The Skating Club of Boston
61-83 Braintree Street

5:20 – 6:00 Report from Design Committee:
600 Harrison

6:00 - 6:15 Report from Design Committee:
345 Harrison Avenue / Graybar site

6:15 - 6:30 Report from Design Committee:
Coppersmith Village

6:30 – 7:00 Emerson 1-3 Boylston Place Update (condition of vote)

7:00 – 7:30 Pier 4 Phase 2 NPC

7:30 – 8:00 The Skating Club of Boston

8:00 – 8:15 61-83 Braintree Street

Despite saying they will post "Boston Civic Design Commission meeting agendas, presentations, minutes, and votes", its nothing but the agenda and links to the BRA pages.

A lot of the commissioners are a really big deal in the local design industry, which on paper should be great. The big issue though, is since they are practicing professionals they don't exactly want to create bad blood, since it could effect their livelihood. You don't exactly want to trash a developer who you may be working with, or want work from. Especially after the recession, everyone's just happy there is work.

BCD Commissioner Bios

I attended a BCDC meeting recently, out of interest. It's a bunch of architects and assorted big wigs. The only person I recognized from elsewhere was Manfredi though.

Honestly, their comments were kind of cruddy. They screwed up the 61-83 Braintree project a bit, I think. The original proposal was nicer.

I got in a debate with one of the commissioners over the idea of "colonnades/porticos." He said they don't like them because they "create uncertainty about public and private space separation." I told him that was hooey because that only applies to semi-hidden, semi-private space. Colonnades and porticos are a many-thousands-of-years-old concept of traditional architecture. You would hope that someone on the BCDC would know that, and would understand the reasoning behind the public/private space distinction. But I guess not.

The only part worth taking pics of...

12708968933_54fcbf3f47_b.jpg

Nice shot kz! I do love that glass pattern.

Nice shot kz! I do love that glass pattern.

It is nice.
Even nicer if they took that pattern and scaled it up, and then cloaked the upper portions of this building with it...

So much on the waterside that the serf is literally bubbling up this thing like a swell.

12752320704_dcc07f06e0_b.jpg

I don't think it's glass. I think it's just metal siding hiding the above ground parking garage.

AmFolk -- I think you are right on target -- its a fancy version of the famous Frank Gehry chain link fencing on the Gehry House out in Santa Monica

When I looked at the image again on my PC, rather than my phone, I could then tell that it was not glass. I think it's more impressive as is instead of being a glass pattern.

from here its the best looking building

It's kind of like that woman that catches your eye from far away and then you get closer and closer, and then you have that Yikes moment

It's kind of like that woman that catches your eye from far away and then you get closer and closer, and then you have that Yikes moment

good from afar, but far from good.

a/k/a "good from far, far from good" :)

YOU'RE a towel.

The WTC looks like a smaller version of Rowes Wharf. As the seaport starts redeveloping, maybe we'll have a mini-me version of downtown from this view.

Or better yet, a stunt double.

spaceballs-stunt-doubles-copy.jpg

This picture skyline for the seaport is pathetic. Like I said for the amount of taxpayers money being looted for this priceless area of real estate we are getting 3rd rate developments that would be upgrades for Hartford ct.

Very sad

This picture skyline for the seaport is pathetic. Like I said for the amount of taxpayers money being looted for this priceless area of real estate we are getting 3rd rate developments that would be upgrades for Hartford ct.

Very sad

I thought a lot of the Seaport was height regulated by the FAA, so we could never get really tall skyscrapers there?

Back