Waterside Place 1A | 505 Congress Street | Seaport

Re: Waterside Place

from the BRA:

Waterside+Place+Phase+I+Night.jpg

http://bostonredevelopmentauthoritynews.blogspot.com/2010/08/waterside-place-to-bring-new.html

^^ At first I thought there were waves and/or bulges in the side of the building until I realized it was just a trick of light and shadow. Oh well.

Much better than the previous shopping mall renderings. Then again, this is an ugly poorly-massed POS design. At least I hope all the retail we see here actually gets build out.

On a related note, this is the first honest rendering of a seaport development I've seen in terms of how it treats the desolate surrondings.

Best looking project in the entire seaport. Still really bad though, especially with the flat roof. Does anyone know what happened to that 20 something story proposal that was supposed to go up near a ramp or something like that?

^^ At first I thought there were waves and/or bulges in the side of the building until I realized it was just a trick of light and shadow. Oh well.

Too cool for Boston to do something like that. Another turd for our beloved 'Innovation District'.

Better than a parking lot. <sigh>

Appreciate all the updates and renderings from all in the last 48 hours!

At 1st I thought this was the backside of the new Albany hotel! Just another boring box IMO

I love how it's positioned in a sea of traffic.

Good god, what do you people see in this at all?

Good god, what do you people see in this at all?

I had this same thought. Is it the presence of any retail that excites people? It looks like a cheap hotel you'd see along any highway in the US.

^joebos, czsz, et. al.

+1

I'm not clear why the BRA Board had to vote on Waterside Place since I thought the site was Massport property. From what I remember of the other Massport projects (Seaport Hotel, etc.), they went through a voluntary "mini-Article 80" approval process with the BRA, and their parcels were technically not subject to Boston zoning.

I had this same thought. Is it the presence of any retail that excites people? It looks like a cheap hotel you'd see along any highway in the US.
The Natick collection part 2!

I was actually thinking either stubby BU dorm tower or Westin Airport Hotel with fewer flourishes, but that works pretty well...

Anyone know the exact location of that building?

It's located directly across D St. from the Manulife building. There are some renderings of the original complete proposal on the BRA website.

You know a project is awful when the renderings almost feature more cars than people in the entourage.

It's a shit sandwich (shark sandwich)

ewww it looks like fan piers queer cousin.

and to think i liked the older plans from like 2006...

The older plan was actually a shopping mall. Urbanistically, while crap, this design will be better in the long run, especially with a full build out of the surrounding area.

What worries me though is that the old plan decked over the mass pike. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this new scaled-back version does not. I have a feeling that as a result, a gaping highway trench will be a permanent feature of the Seaport.

Back