Waterside Place 1A | 505 Congress Street | Seaport

Re: Waterside Place

So what is it thats being built?

This:
Waterside+Place+Phase+I+Night.jpg

Aren't you stoked?

Tremont on the Common on the Waterfront.

The ground level looks nice, if they are able to fill out all the storefronts.

Seaport stumps, meet your cousin, the slab.

I like it. It's a thin tower with great ground level retail, everything we advocate for on this board. Had this building been wider, I'd say it would not be as successful. There's only 20 floors, but they're pretty damn slim... sort of like the MassArt tower that is tall and slender.

I agree with data. Seeing the steel go up now, I'm pleased with how thin the upper floors will be. And it sits on a slightly wider retail podium that will create a nice street wall.
Phase II was supposed to be air rights retail over the ramp that leads to the Pike, right? Something tells me if we can't get air rights built in the Back Bay / South End, we're not getting them built in a neighborhood that is currently mostly surface parking lots.

I think Briv's analogy is entirely appropriate.

This block-killing slab reminds me of one of Manhattan's most regrettable buildings, the Hilton on 6th Avenue in Midtown, minus the pedestal:

Hilton_New_York-Hilton_New_York-20000000000855997-500x375.jpg

Rendering is ok - although the mockup lowered expectations. Don't mean to be overly negative, since it is another big resi project in the Seaport.

Shame that supermarket on the right side of the render is now part of "phase 2".

Hard to tell how much of a setback the building has from the pedestal, but generally I'm not a fan of the tower on a squat pedestals. To establish appropriate scale I would think 5 or 6 stories, not 2, would create a better streetscape. Given the wide streets in this area, if you're going to have a setback maybe even a taller base than 5 or 6 floors would be appropriate.

Hard to tell how much of a setback the building has from the pedestal, but generally I'm not a fan of the tower on a squat pedestals. To establish appropriate scale I would think 5 or 6 stories, not 2, would create a better streetscape. Given the wide streets in this area, if you're going to have a setback maybe even a taller base than 5 or 6 floors would be appropriate.

Maybe these will help.

Waterside 2 by snagshead67, on Flickr

Waterside 4 by snagshead67, on Flickr

At least Brutalist buildings used graceful, poured-in-place concrete.

Another One Marina Park Drive / Kensington is the last thing the city needs.

I'm still dismayed by how every street out there is a massive suburban boulevard. That doesn't help these developments feel any less inhuman and suburban. Throw in a bike lane and sidewalk bulb-outs at least.

At least Brutalist buildings used graceful, poured-in-place concrete.

Another One Marina Park Drive / Kensington is the last thing the city needs.

I don't think this one will be quite as bad as either of those, as it doesn't have the awkward form of the Kensington nor is the design trying to do too much with too little like OMPD. The design is certainly dull but I wouldn't call it bad, and I don't mind the slab sitting close up on Congress, which needs all the enclosure it can get.

The only question I have is how good the quality of materials will be...? The mockup doesn't send up any red flags, but we'll see.

I want to start collecting facade mock ups and start a museum.

Was the whole megamall thing cancelled or put into phase 12?

Above the retail floor there appears there to be a level of parking garage if you look closely.

Back