Wentworth Institute of Technology Expansion | Fenway

That is good to hear. As neighbors, you would hope that they would work together and communicate proactively. Too much of this crap ends up in courtrooms rather than face to face in conference rooms.

On the contrary, WIT's planning team and NU's planning team have admittedly met with each other on multiple occasions recently to coordinate their development plans for the next 10-15 years. NU has even gone as far as to include WIT's Innovation Center's massing details adjacent to its own renderings for future development at NU, including the Burstein/Rubenstein site.

Last edited:
I didn't know that either, dshoost, thanks for the information. Hopefully the NU tower will compliment this "Innovation Tower" nicely- it really is of lovely design.

I wonder if NU is trying to buy the Punter's Pub site? It would allow them to build an interesting triangle building to fill out the block. .

^^ Off topic, but according to what university leaders have been saying the last couple years at meetings I've attended, Punter's owner(s) ain't selling.

Whoa! That looks fantastic!!

This would be right down the street from the new MassArt dorm and directly across the the MFA...this will be a really great stretch of road moving forward.

Agree. The building is nice, but the proximity to the MassArt dorm really makes it more than a sum of its parts.

I am really dating myself here, but does anyone remember the Rice Bowl, the nasty Chinese food place behind the gas station?
I used to eat there all the time when I first moved to Boston in 1996. The last time I walked by it look like it was being used as some sort of gallery, but I couldn't really tell for sure what it was supposed to be.

It appears that the BRA approved the Innovation Tower component of the Wentworth expansion at the same hearing they approved the CSC 700' tower. The approval happens around the 1 hour & 22 minute mark in this video:

http://www.cityofboston.gov/cable/video_library.asp?id=3214

tumblr_m0codgbPA01r1x26wo1_250.gif

Which part of the project is the "Innovation Tower"?

Newbie here: I don't understand how the zoning / approval process works. I assume the 280' building is higher than zoning allows there? Then what happens - the developer asks for approval of the building and approval for zoning relief at the same time?

Last I heard about the Sweeney Field project, it was a "future" project. Suddenly it's on the boards and suddenly it's approved? Where's the public comment and all that stuff?

What am I missing here?

Also, included in the new tower are 410 (underground) parking spaces.

Enjoy your commute!

John, the site of the future Wentworth complex is currently zoned for a max height of 280'. It makes up the Wentworth Community Commercial zoning sub-district which takes up most of the block, bounded on the NE by the edge of Sweeney Field.

Back