What was proposed and what was built.

Boston02124

Reaction score
33 arch Please add other's you might have!
Picture2018.jpg
33archstBoston2.jpg
33archst.jpg

Last edited:
Pru center or 111 huntington
xcranes026.jpg

111huntingtonas1stsproposed.jpg

Picture2011.jpg

Picture2015.jpg

Bostonfebuary15th2008RonT001.jpg

Last edited:
45 Province st
xcranes033.jpg

CranesBRAmaps53008002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, the first proposal was terrible for 45 Province! Thank god we got this instead of that proposal!

I'm really glad we don't have two identical buildings in the Back Bay. I don't hate either one, but twins would just look stupid.

I could see the original 45 Prov proposal going quite nicely on the Shreve, etc. plot.

Wow, the first proposal was terrible for 45 Province! Thank god we got this instead of that proposal!
Yeah,Im surprise this was allow to go higher instead of cut down like so many other proposed buildings in this city!
45_P.jpg

Probably because the mayor is pushing for more residential units in the downtown area.

Cool thread indeed! I was just thinking the other day about being able to go back and see what people thought of proposed buildings of the past. It looks as though in most of these examples (so far) that the end result may actually be better than the proposal. Maybe the same will happen with buildings such as Trans-national if it ever gets built.

Van - excuse my ignorance, but can you explain your comment about Philip Johnson?

International place really wouldn't be half as ugly if it weren't for those Palladian windows. But then again, that was probably Johnson's only involvment in the design anyways...

In regard to 33 Arch, the rendering looked more graceful than the end result. I'm not a fan of the decision to add a "crown" to 111 Huntington Ave. Wasn't that added at the 11th hour at Mister Mayors prodding?

Whereas I like the crown - it makes the building stand out. How many of us would notice 111 Huntington otherwise?

This thread has only inflamed my hatred of PoMo. Good job though. :)

Whereas I like the crown - it makes the building stand out. How many of us would notice 111 Huntington otherwise?
I agree that the crown makes the building stand out, but it doesn't fit the design that well and always looks like an afterthought (well, i guess it is).

Back