What was proposed and what was built.

That's the one. If I remember correctly this building was scrapped for the current one to get more floor space.

The above is I.M.Pei's proposed Hancock Tower, which was not chosen. They ended up going with his partner, Henry Cobb's, design.

Pei's version apparently also called for the demolition of JH's 1920s lowrise across the street. And while I don't really care for that building, I'm sure I would've cared even less for all the extra plaza space that would've been created.

Plus, the cylindrical form would have called much more attention to itself than the wedge we ended up with.

I think what we got in this case was pretty good. The Hancock Tower is iconic (for boston) and has great interaction with Trinity Church and the hancock Building, not to mention the way the building seems to change with the sky around it. We may not have viewed that other version in the same way.

I'd agree that the Hancock we ended up with is far better. "Iconic" Cylindrical buildings exist in Atlanta (1 Peachtree??? I'm not sure and too lazy to check) and in Detroit (Ren Center). Another of similar height in Boston wouldn't have been a great addition.

The Hancock we ended up with isn't exactly crazy, but it fits in very well and it looks different (in shape and color) from all different angels at different times of day. It's a beautiful building and it's certainly more unique than any cylinder.

I love One Lincoln, but I really love the lower floors in those renderings.

The Hancock we have now is the perfect building for the location. Reflects the Charles, the church, and the old Hancock. I love it.

parcel 7
xcranes019.jpg
today
xcranes068-1.jpg

Tremont st
xcranes031-1.jpg

There was another one after this that called for a very tall spire
xcranes076.jpg

Today
xcranes077.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if this came out like the rendering?
tremontst.jpg

xcranes082.jpg

Today
xcranes078.jpg

Last edited:
Washington st
Picture2021.jpg

xcranes039-1.jpg

Bostoncranesapril2008049.jpg

Bostonnov2007007o.jpg

milliniampl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Jordan's don't know if this counts,they might build something on top of it some day?
xcranes038-1.jpg

commonweathcenter.jpg

xcranes083.jpg

xcranes085.jpg
Bostondec9th2007014.jpg

well don't seem to have a good pix of macys or lafayette pl.I'm sure someone can add it!

Last edited:
Mass General,there's a color rending somewhere that shows this to be bronze glass

xcranes021.jpg

101_02820.jpg

I think we dodged a bullet on most of this PoMo stuff.

Thanks for these great posts and reviving lost memory.

Do I recall correctly that the Jordan Marsh/ Lafayette proposal died when Olympia and York fell and couldn't get up? Pity. The project would have wiped out that red brick tanker of a department store, as well as the pathetic Lafayette Place.

LP got a mild facelift after ALL of the in line tenants failed. Little wonder. The circular layout was disorienting, and there was a deliberate disconnect from street activity. (Musn't let the gentle suburban white folk get scared by those, uhm, minorities out there. How'd that plan work out for ya mr. mall man, ya loser!)

Jordan/Macy's contracted its retail space, converting the top floors into large leasable floor plates of Class B office space. These are rented chiefly by wireless communications companies, I have been told.

Thanks for these great posts and reviving lost memory.

Do I recall correctly that the Jordan Marsh/ Lafayette proposal died when Olympia and York fell and couldn't get up? Pity. The project would have wiped out that red brick tanker of a department store, as well as the pathetic Lafayette Place.

LP got a mild facelift after ALL of the in line tenants failed. Little wonder. The circular layout was disorienting, and there was a deliberate disconnect from street activity. (Musn't let the gentle suburban white folk get scared by those, uhm, minorities out there. How'd that plan work out for ya mr. mall man, ya loser!)

Jordan/Macy's contracted its retail space, converting the top floors into large leasable floor plates of Class B office space. These are rented chiefly by wireless communications companies, I have been told.
I believe your correct!

I agree that we dodged the bullet on most of these. The 1980's and early 90's were a strange time for architecture; many of these renderings look like the gothic and foreboding Gotham City from the Batman films.

Last edited:

Back