What was proposed and what was built.

Wasnt the original gas tank leveled because they didn't need the extra capacity anymore?

The building has human hands...holding up a spaceship.

That's absurd to the point where it seems like it was a prank.

No, really, that bizarre scheme was the one proposed. If it was a joke, it was never revealed as such. I remember the design of the hotel being announced on the evening news with great fanfare. The "plate" on the hands was supposed to be a restaurant that revolved to give diners a view of Boston (and the loveliness that is Rt. 93). The original developer wanted to put Medford Sq. "on the map" with this scheme, but fortunately saner and more banal heads prevailed.

Okay, what about the "spoon" originally proposed for the top of the Gehry building (Tower Records).

Anyone?

I'm a little worried about Boston02124. He said he'd check the date on the article when he got home . . . almost 2 days ago. I think he got lost ;-)

Okay, what about the "spoon" originally proposed for the top of the Gehry building (Tower Records).

Anyone?

An homage to all the coke done by Wurlitzer clients during the analog epoch?
(Bought a beautiful white Vox "Brian Jones" teardrop guitar and AC 30 there in vinyl times.)

Anyone know why Hans Hollein's building wasn't built in Harvard Square? I remember those renderings; I'd forgotten all about them over the past 4 . What a fantastic project it could've been (though the open-book bit is a bit cheesy... but isn't that one of Ablarc's axioms?) -- and what a bore the reality is.

It's like being close to something exciting, fresh and paradigm-shifting and going with the same old porridge. Akin to voting McCain in the upcoming election ;)

Anyone?

I thought it was supposed to be a huge tea bag, tucked into the top corner indentation of the building...an a idea that was never fully "brewed"!

I'm a little worried about Boston02124. He said he'd check the date on the article when he got home . . . almost 2 days ago. I think he got lost ;-)
Ha,Ha I,m here! just hav'ent had the time to check! thanks for your concern though!:)

2 more I found, The Kennedy Building,because it actually gained a floor! Did,nt have a good pix of the Boston medical Albany st area.
xcranes020.jpg
xxxx003.jpg
xxxx001.jpg
xcranes081.jpg
Bostonfebuary15th2008RonT0099.jpg

I thought it was supposed to be a huge tea bag, tucked into the top corner indentation of the building...an a idea that was never fully "brewed"!

I thought it was a giant martini glass spilling onto the Mass Pike.

I thought it was a physical manifestation of Gehry's hubris and ego

^Yea, that's why I thought it was a great idea.

The rendering is so grainy.. what block is that on? The Macys-Hyatt block, or does it extend down to the Hayward Place lot too? Either way, how the heck did we end up with that lame mall thing over this?

This was a proposed replacement for Macy's and Lafayette Place (which already existed at the time). I'm not sure if it extended all the way south to what was already a vacant lot at Hayward Place.

It fell apart due to Robert Campeau's financial overextension (and subsequent bankruptcy) in the wake of the Allied Stores-Federated Stores merger.

How old is that article? I remember reading an article before the ArchBoston v.1 crash that there was a possibility of two towers, 21-30 stories high, being built over Lafayette. Is that the same proposal?

Back