What was proposed and what was built.

I agree that we dodged the bullet on most of these. The 1980's and early 90's were a strange time for architecture; many of these renderings look like the gothic and foreboding Gotham City from the Batman films.

:( That's why I like them.

I don't know if you're being sarcastic...but I was actually thinking that. Would certainly add some much needed diversity to what we've got here.

:( That's why I like them.
The problem is, they would've never turned out as nice as they looked in the drawings, since the developers would skimp on materials and detailing like almost every other postmodern building boston got (aside from the AM Stern and P. Johnson duo, Rowes Wharf, and a few notable others).

That's true. I actually really like how Millennium Place turned out, probably one of the most progressive buildings in Boston in the last 10 years (all the others are in Cambridge, lol).

Thanks for these great posts and reviving lost memory.

Do I recall correctly that the Jordan Marsh/ Lafayette proposal died when Olympia and York fell and couldn't get up? Pity. The project would have wiped out that red brick tanker of a department store, as well as the pathetic Lafayette Place.

LP got a mild facelift after ALL of the in line tenants failed. Little wonder. The circular layout was disorienting, and there was a deliberate disconnect from street activity. (Musn't let the gentle suburban white folk get scared by those, uhm, minorities out there. How'd that plan work out for ya mr. mall man, ya loser!)

Jordan/Macy's contracted its retail space, converting the top floors into large leasable floor plates of Class B office space. These are rented chiefly by wireless communications companies, I have been told.
Thanks tobyjug, I believe you were one of the 1st to welcome me aboard and encourage me to learn how to post pix's! I did'nt know I would become a posting nut! lol.
584a.jpg

Haha thanks for all this Boston02124! I love all the pictures you post....and I must say you are currently one of the leading picture-posters! haha kudos!

^ The photographer is actually standing on an island. The small park on Commercial Point has been used as a dog park for some time. A small wooden bridge is its only connection to the mainland so people let their dogs off the leash and they can't get lost.

I don't know what was supposed to get built here but there once was a twin to this gas tower without Corita's art.

There were two gas tanks, one with Corita's painting and the other with a Boston Gas logo. The gas company took down the one with the painting, and had it repainted on the other one which remains standing.

That's true. I actually really like how Millennium Place turned out, probably one of the most progressive buildings in Boston in the last 10 years (all the others are in Cambridge, lol).
I'm always amazed by how well these buildings hide their stoutness. Excellent use of coloring and massing.

^ The photographer is actually standing on an island. The small park on Commercial Point has been used as a dog park for some time. A small wooden bridge is its only connection to the mainland so people let their dogs off the leash and they can't get lost.

I don't know what was supposed to get built here but there once was a twin to this gas tower without Corita's art.
I was walking my dog's!
enrTallest005.jpg

Haha thanks for all this Boston02124! I love all the pictures you post....and I must say you are currently one of the leading picture-posters! haha kudos!
Thanks! this is a one of the last few that I have,I never knew why I saved all this stuff starting back in the early 80's but then came pc's and digital scanner's and camera's,now I'm glad I did!
xcranes466.jpg
xcranes4668.jpg
xcranes4666-1.jpg
russiawharf33.jpg

About 35 or so years ago, this infamy became known as "Judge Troy's Marina". One of our jurists somehow "acquired" harbor bottom, and then managed to truck in boulders and demolition debris. This material was dumped into the harbor, creating the peninsula in violation of numerous laws. The Judge's marina plan and its contempt for legality caused a public furor. What is notable is that, hitherto, no one cared what got dumped into the harbor. In that respect, Judge Troy's Marina is one of Boston's most significant environmental landmarks.

The project was halted, but only after the damage was done. After years of sitting as an open dump, the site was covered in dirt and remodeled as you see it today.

As for the gas tank...there used to be two 30's-40's gravity sliding tanks on the spot. They were covered with an exoskeleton of girders, and painted in large red and white checkerboards. Around 1970 (?), these were demolished and replaced with two LNG tanks. One had the "Corita" artwork on it. That tank was later demolished, leaving the one you see today. A replica of the original "Corita" art was painted onto the survivor. The replica's Ho Chi Minh beard never looked quite right to me.

The problem is, they would've never turned out as nice as they looked in the drawings, since the developers would skimp on materials and detailing like almost every other postmodern building boston got (aside from the AM Stern and P. Johnson duo, Rowes Wharf, and a few notable others).

I look at architectural renderings like online dating site ads. When the date walks in the door, he will be 40% paunchier and 40% older than the pics in his online profile.

I do wonder why they chose to demolish Corita's tank and then repaint her work on the other tank, instead of just demolishing the other tank instead.

I believe the original Corita tank was simply at the end of its operational lifespan, and was cut up for scrap. There are government regulations and industry best-practices that are in place for a reason -- the catastrophic failure of a tank that size could ruin your whole day...

I have a colleague who used to work for N*Star and knows about these things -- I'll ask him.

Thanks! this is a one of the last few that I have,I never knew why I saved all this stuff starting back in the early 80's but then came pc's and digital scanner's and camera's,now I'm glad I did!
xcranes466.jpg
xcranes4668.jpg
xcranes4666-1.jpg
russiawharf33.jpg

I have always been disappointed in the outcome of this building. The omission of the top's details, including the lack of lightning rods, has made the building look unfinished and cheap.

I agree! thats why I included this one in this post.Anyone remember why these were not added? Here's one from Medford
medfordspaceshiphotel-1.jpg
xcranes4700.jpg

Last edited:
Are you sure the date on that article isn't April 1st?

I want that spaceship hotel on the Seaport!

Harvard's Library Services Building

Hans Hollein's Proposal:
Hollein_Reject.jpg

Leers Weinzapfel's design that was built:
harvard_library_services_2.jpg

harvard_library_services_1.jpg

Back