What was proposed and what was built.

IMO, 75 State St., of all the buildings in town, is begging for a cap of some sort. Everytime I see it, I just feel it has an unfinished look to it. A gold cap, a la United Shoe Machinery, might fit nicely on top.

Van - excuse my ignorance, but can you explain your comment about Philip Johnson?

The story I was told by an architect prof was that when International Place was being designed the community (what community?) demanded that Johnson use Palladian windows. Frustrated, Johnson then covered the entire building in them, except they are fake. They are just standard glass plates with a Palladian shape over them.

That's the story anyway, not sure how grounded in reality it is. I actually really like IP and PoMo in general so I'm not complaining.

I had always heard that Don Chiafaro himself wanted the palladian windows?

Did you know that Charlie Croker, the main character of Tom Wolfe's "A Man in Full", is based on Don Chiafaro? I was lucky enough to hang out with Tom Wolfe for an evening and he told me all kinds of funny stories about Don. Say what you will about Don, but I personally like him and his cantankerous ways.

The story I was told by an architect prof was that when International Place was being designed the community (what community?) demanded that Johnson use Palladian windows. Frustrated, Johnson then covered the entire building in them, except they are fake. They are just standard glass plates with a Palladian shape over them.

That's the story anyway, not sure how grounded in reality it is. I actually really like IP and PoMo in general so I'm not complaining.

That's interesting. I had always assumed that this was just Johnson's (and postmodernists in general) sense of humor- like his town hall for Celebration, FL.

It's also funny seeing the mention of Tom Wolfe here, given his adoration of postmodernism's ostentatious silliness.

Like I said, that's the story as told by an architect. Who knows the reality.

1 Linclon 1
xcranes025-1.jpg
xcranes041.jpg
xcranes040.jpg
what happen to the side tower
101_1392.jpg
100_1143.jpg

Last edited:
Boston Garden
Picture34239356.jpg
oldbostongardenproposal.jpg
bostongarden.jpg
oldbostongardenproposal001.jpg
usanashua01lg3ye.jpg
xcranes084.jpg
what we got!
boston1995.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone have any images of the original Hancock tower proposal?

Was it different than what we got? If so,I hope someone has it!would luv to see it!
I've seen the image in a few IM Pei books- It was a round tower with a flat top, with a split in the middle. I can't seem to find any images online, or I'd post it.

Back