Whittier Choice Neighborhood | 1158 Tremont Street | Roxbury

Yes, it's a bad picture but I was so glad to the stigma of old housing erased from this prominent site! I hope the next Phase gets started soon.

IMG_8263.JPG

This is definitely better, especially with the urban form, but the materials and architectural details leave much to be desired.

Its fine for affordable housing but I think instead of doing the random colossal order pattern on the red part of the facade it would have looked a lot better to just keep it the same as the pattern on the tan part.

Theres no need to make some wacky pattern on every single low rise facade, especially a background building like this. In this case less would have been more imo.

Phase 3 will at least add to the tremont st street wall, which is good. Though the facade appears very mediocre hopefully it will come across better in person.

View attachment 38511
View attachment 38512
View attachment 38513
View attachment 38514
With the crescent parcel next door (which may have been funded), Tremont will look a lot better. Of course, it'd be even better if the city could get it's act together on the Northeastern dorm proposal and P3...

With the crescent parcel next door (which may have been funded), Tremont will look a lot better. Of course, it'd be even better if the city could get it's act together on the Northeastern dorm proposal and P3...
I am not sure what is happening to that new Northeastern project. Now that the university has a long term lease on the entire tower 2 of the old Sheraton Boston (39 Dalton) they may be rethinking the whole project. Maybe more academic space, less housing?

Looks like Nichiha which is actually more expensive than you'd think. IMO, taste and arch details matter more than material cost.
"It costs a lot of money to look this cheap." -Dolly Parton

Back