Winter Garden | 100 Federal St. | Financial District

Programming-wise, I like how they're proposing to better-use the space. The financial district can be pretty oppressive during the winter, so the idea of an active, enclosed retail and green space here is a good one.

I dunno... I could try to pop over to the BCDC meeting this afternoon also to learn more about the design. Maybe it's already changed since December 1st.

Agreed. It's such a bizarre design. It doesn't relate to the existing building, and it relates terribly to the street as well.

Cden -- worse that reverse slope is asking for problems if ice was to fall off the tower

I don't see why they couldn't take the idea of the glass tent and couple it to the exterior of the building at the transition from the lower part of the tower to the bulge

make the slope of the glass roof the same as the slope above the bulge and carry it out toward the street with a removable vertical wall for the summer

leave a sidewalk area along Congress that widens near to the corner with Franklin for sidewalk cafe service

That has absolutely no relationship to the existing 100 Federal. It is almost a joke on what contemporary architecture is. A strangely shaped building, shaped this way for no apparent reason, latching onto an older one.

Also, that "concert series layout" leaves no room for the audience to get to their seats.

Agreed. It's such a bizarre design. It doesn't relate to the existing building, and it relates terribly to the street as well.

It has the level of refinement of a sophomore studio final crit or a senior studio midcrit.

I like how they show all these performance uses of the space when there's no back stage area. Rather odd. And I can say from experience that it's no fun having a panel discussion in a big cavernous lobby!

I also like how they don't show an elevation of the Matthews St. side where they're obviously leaving a big blank wall by a car ramp to the expanded underground parking!

They could do a lot better than this design.

Programming-wise, I like how they're proposing to better-use the space.

You know ... I think this is 'don't believe the hype' territory. I'm pretty confident we're looking at a food court.

That has absolutely no relationship to the existing 100 Federal. It is almost a joke on what contemporary architecture is. A strangely shaped building, shaped this way for no apparent reason, latching onto an older one.

THIS!

As David St. Hubbins once said:

tumblr_mslql1zNKC1sqv808o1_500.gif

Essentially zero plants too, other than what looks like boxwoods and will probably just be converted to yew hedges and cedar chips

The BCDC meeting has been cancelled without explanation.

The BCDC meeting was rescheduled to TONIGHT:

BOSTON CIVIC DESIGN COMMISSION DESIGN COMMITTEE MEETING

FEB 16, 2016 5:00 PM - 8:00 PM

Contact Name: David Carlson
Contact Email Address: David.Carlson@Boston.gov
Contact Phone: 617.918.4284
Type: Boston Civic Design Commission (BCDC)

1 City Hall Plaza, Boston, MA 02201

Description:
BCDC meeting to discuss the public realm impacts of major projects currently being reviewed by the BRA. Committee meetings are open to the public.

The agenda is as follows (times may be approximate):
5:00 PM Room 937A Goddard House
6:00 PM Room 933A 100 Federal Plaza Addition

http://www.bostonredevelopmentautho...g?hootPostID=b9b3fd1e8c8ec1275dd5463bc5f153ab

BCDC approved. This from the BBJ

The view of downtown Boston's so-called "pregnant building" from Post Office Square is about to change.

Boston Properties' plan to build a glass atrium outside 100 Federal St. received design approval this week from the Boston Civic Design Commission, moving forward a plan that will glass in much of an open courtyard area facing Congress and Franklin streets downtown.

--

Early presentations for the glass atrium outlined plans for 8,500 square feet of retail space, 500 square feet of kiosk space and an 8,990-square-foot “winter garden” at the street level at the glass atrium. Renderings show a plan for a “farm-to-table” restaurant as well as multiple large-scale television screens.

The project’s architect is Perkins + Will, and the landscape architect is Mikyoung Kim Design. The team will next appear before the Boston Redevelopment Authority for full project approval.

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/r...operties-gets-design-ok-for-glass-atrium.html

No pics but this has definitely started.

No pics but this has definitely started.

617 -- its almost ironic that now after years of a big boring plaza at the foot and under the belly of the First National Bank of Boston Building -- finally the plaza is being updated into an open enclosed room [albeit with a strange shape] -- and just at this moment just across the street we will soon have Winnie -- the new Millennium Partners Tower -- with the Great Hall of Boston

I guess I favor the 100 Federal "glass tent" for the nicer months and the more enclosed and Medieval-style Great Hall for the winter

617 -- its almost ironic that now after years of a big boring plaza at the foot and under the belly of the First National Bank of Boston Building -- finally the plaza is being updated into an open enclosed room [albeit with a strange shape] -- and just at this moment just across the street we will soon have Winnie -- the new Millennium Partners Tower -- with the Great Hall of Boston

I guess I favor the 100 Federal "glass tent" for the nicer months and the more enclosed and Medieval-style Great Hall for the winter

I was recently in Milan, I love the galleria there. In MP presentation they show it as inspiration for the great hall. I wonder if this means the hall will be totally open air at each end like the galleria is with multiple places to eat and drink and "outdoor" seating in the hall. Prob not...it will be interesting to see how the winter garden and hall fare in winter.

Another POS development from your friends at BP.

Another POS development from your friends at BP.

a bit harsh in my opinion...BP does some fantastic work. Atlantic Wharf being example number 1. The hub at Causeway has the potential to spectacular for that area. Their Kendall projects and the back bay station redo are pretty daring. Some people may not like their design work but they do high quality class A work.

This might pleasantly surprise in what is a pretty dull space.

Back