Winter Garden | 100 Federal St. | Financial District

I walked by here the other day and was shocked at the size of this project despite the fact that I spent 15 years working in 75/101 Federal and know the plaza very well.

A long overdue urbanization of a useless plaza. This and the Kendall Sq Draper addition are pointing the way to a far more intelligent use of these spaces. Starting next hopefully, the 500 Boyston proposal.

A long overdue urbanization of a useless plaza. This and the Kendall Sq Draper addition are pointing the way to a far more intelligent use of these spaces. Starting next hopefully, the 500 Boyston proposal.

As long as they start mixing up the methods. Those two being the same basic approach is fine, because they are two miles apart. Need more innovative reuse and repackaging.

That said. Both will be vast improvements.I can see the Draper one out my window at work, and it has made a pretty big difference for me.

I appreciate the winter garden effect (better use of the space for Boston's climate), but the framing seems much heavier than I expected. I am not coming away with the feeling of a light, airy open space. (And I have been up close to this recently; the impression is not just the pics.)

I appreciate the winter garden effect (better use of the space for Boston's climate), but the framing seems much heavier than I expected. I am not coming away with the feeling of a light, airy open space. (And I have been up close to this recently; the impression is not just the pics.)

+1 ---Seems a little more darkness and less space on the sidewalks which is not needed.

*Why not keep that open space and create the winter garden in their lobby on the ground floor?

Last edited:
So the steel is going to be painted white, and I think once the glass is in and it is lit up from the inside, it shouldn't appear as dark. Anything will be brighter than the hulking base of 100 Federal.

And there wasn't a lot of open, public lobby space in 100 Federal before this addition.

I personally am starting to like the juxtaposition of this next to 100 Federal and other buildings along Congress Street.

What's the theory behind erecting the steel and then painting it? Is it not possible/easier to paint before erecting?

Cost to have a shop paint it plus the cost of the patching of painting that will be required in the field after site damage occurs. Some accidental, some due to riveting, welding, etc.

The patched paint not 100% matching the shop applied.

Painting it all at once, after the ducts, sprinkler piping, etc. are in place. All one matching color.

Thoughts, ideas, possibilities....

Cost to have a shop paint it plus the cost of the patching of painting that will be required in the field after site damage occurs. Some accidental, some due to riveting, welding, etc.

The patched paint not 100% matching the shop applied.

Painting it all at once, after the ducts, sprinkler piping, etc. are in place. All one matching color.

Thoughts, ideas, possibilities....

Yeah, all those things. It is easy to spray paint the beams in-place once construction is nearly complete. The Draper atrium was done that way as well.

Because they'd rather only paint everything once. :)

It will likely be done by the fireproofing contractor since it is possible the finish will in an intumescent paint which acts as fire protection for the steel.

cca

Back