Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Re: 111 Federal St. | Formerly Trans National Place (Winthrop Square) Part 2

Millenium clearly went into this with the singular goal of maximizing square footage, hence the shit design and their offer of $50 million cash back contingent on getting their desired SF approved

Healey knocks City Council over Winthrop Square deal
By Tim Logan GLOBE STAFF AUGUST 05, 2016

The state’s top lawyer said Friday that the Boston City Council violated open meeting law when it voted to turn the Winthrop Square Garage over to the Boston Redevelopment Authority.

But the ruling could actually have the effect of smoothing the way for the garage’s planned conversion into one of Boston’s tallest buildings.

The office of Attorney general Maura Healey said the city council failed to give proper notice 48 hours ahead of its meeting in December at which it voted 10-3 to transfer ownership of the garage to the BRA. The Winthrop Square vote was not posted on the Council’s published agenda; instead during the meeting, the Council pulled the item from a list it maintains of previously-discussed items, the so-called “Green Sheets.”

------

But, Manganaro indicated in the letter, the AG’s office now considers the matter resolved, with the City Council receiving a warning not to vote on Green Sheets items without notice again. No re-vote is required.

-----

BRA officials are eager to get the project underway in this hot real estate market, and on Friday, a spokeswoman for Mayor Martin J. Walsh said the city now plans to push ahead with the transfer. She said the city’s law department had reviewed the ruling and did not believe it requires a new vote of the City Council. City Council president Michelle Wu did not immediately return a message seeking comment.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...al/sH7RXYjdotzSYvItnmgJOK/story.html#comments

Great news so this bitch bout to go up quick. That garage should get the peoples elbow within months.

I bet if you did a poll 95% of Bostonians would rather see a tower there compared to that parking garage. Shirley can suck it, development is a good thing.

100 federal looks tall from outside south station because you face the thin side. This thing is going to look fucking huge.

^ I can honestly see this both ways (and I honestly don't know which is accurate, but I am hopeful for the 2nd): either we can embrace conspiracy theories about some sort of inside advantage of MP, blah blah, OR, the optimists among us can point to this being how things should work: MP gets a tax break to build MT, they make a bunch of money, then they follow through on a partnership mentality with the community to bid $50million more than anyone else (e.g., giving some of that dough back). In other words, city invests in developer, developer invests back in city.

(And no, MP's was not my favorite design). But I can't say I am against the concept of a public-private investment paying off for both parties.

The best developer was chosen. Period.

I still can't believe that some of you are still complaining about the design. That's NOT what is going to end up as the final product. In fact, even if any of the other developers got picked, none of those proposals would have been built either.

In fact, from the same developer just down the street.

First Proposal:
Millennium-Tower-Boston-9.jpg

What we got:
photo.aspx

^^true. all.

tough medicine. but no chance of an unfinished project.

you know 5 years in advance the job's gonna get done.

Tom Menino was something of a nut. but not about Millennium Partners.

Millennium's track record, balance sheet, assurance of success -

the runner up probably scored a distant second.

how can you let a partner like that walk?

then, you get to tell the parasite class/bleeding hearts/class warfare provocateurs;

'Go home children, the grownups got your ransom booty.'

Millennium's success becomes your success -

Boston rising on your watch.

and Shirley Kressel sent to the trashbin of history.

Last edited:

Just as a reminder this has already changed a lot since the original submission to the BRA in the spring of 2015.

Remember this:

MILLENNIUMPARTNERS-7A.jpg

Is now this:

tower.jpg

I honestly like the design and hope it stays. The glass is intricate in a way that hasnt reached boston yet. The current MT just looks good but its average glass.

MP has completely changed this area. First with the ritz, then hayward place, now MT, and finally 111 fed. In a couple well positioned blocks worth of real estate they have completely changed an entire neighborhood. My hats off to them.

The original plan had once called for a shorter 30-story hotel / condo tower.

The developer that was originally going to take on the project had flown the coop to New York to invest in having a super-tall office tower built near the Empire State Building.

The "mini Ground Zero" was left empty until the present developer was found.

^ thats the other millennium tower

The best part of this site is how prominent it is. This is unlike any developments planned or built so far. 1 dalton is huge but right next to the pru, same with copley to the hancock, and sst to the fed/1fc. The new MT is prominent from a couple angles but not at all from the water, southie, or within downtown. This is going to be just as prominent as MT is from the same angles, but also from the waterftont, south station, downtown, and south of the city. Hopefully it stays at 750' so not only is it tall compared to its surroundings (MT) but also compared to the rest of Boston- being 1 foot taller than the pru. Downtown is finally going to stand on its own vs the back bay which is great. Downtown has a much better supporting cast than the back bay and finally it will have the capstone piece that ties it all together and creates a great skyline. Honestly after this boom and especially if we somehow got the aquarium tower we are going to have one of the better skylines in america- not so much in height as just a well balanced waterfront skyline that looks great. The shot from the harbor of downtown is absolutely going to be iconic, and the new MT already made the charles river view even more iconic with the centerpiece of it added. Boston has had the pieces forever from the custom house tower to international place to the north end, harbor, zakim, rowes wharf, it just needed that piece to tie it all together. Its finally on its way.

Last edited:

Look at the difference in height between state street bank tower (225 franklin) and 100 fed and add that to the top of 100 fed plus around 30 feet. So if you imagine the top part of 100 fed that isnt blocked add that on top and thats about where it will be.

I made a quick and rather simple edit based on what Stick said the height would be from that angle.

Here it is:

rd6LCOp.jpg

If this stays at 750 imagine if we got a 700 footer on boylston st next to the pierce. Even a 500 vanilla footer would be extremely dramatic. But anyways ill try to whip up some more renders soon and ill try to make the one above work.

I made a quick and rather simple edit based on what Stick said the height would be from that angle.

Here it is:

CityLover -- real question who wins the first to be seen from the Pike context

At night its the Pru hands down because of the lights at 900ft on the Antenna Mast

Daytime it could be Winthrop Sq or whatever the nickname will be[*1] -- as the base on Federal Street is a meter or so higher above sea level than the sidewalk next to the Pru on Boylston St in the Back Bay [reference point to Above Ground Level]

*1 -- Proposed nickname -- Winny

Millennium needs to get some new architects their shit is boring as hell

Oy. I guess it is that phase of the project cycle where everyone complains about what is being built. Beats what is there now and we know Millennium will build a quality product.

Back