Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Re: 111 Federal St. | Formerly Trans National Place (Winthrop Square) Part 2

Regarding the decision, great news. I'm glad they were picked, and the the design will progress just like 1 Franklin did after it got approved.

Odurandia is Tosh333, and to him/her, I say "I hate you." You are worse than a million NIMBYS and you ruin every website that you catch on to.

haha so true, seriously - who quotes their own posts in the comments section of online news articles, man oh man...

I was wrong about this one. Thought the increased taxes from Belkins twin towers would win out.

Glad a finalist was picked and looking forward to seeing a shovel in the ground this year (dreaming i know)

This looks like an updated version of the IDS Tower in Minneapolis.

Absolutely.

The vertical pleats try to hide the chunky silhouette - think Melissa McCarthy in Olivia Wilde's dress.

I still think this type of tastefully restrained tower proposal would look best over Back Bay Station. It beats the hell out of the jumble of stumps that Boston Properties trotted out over the winter.

it just shows that the Back Bay skyline will continue to grow in preeminence.

And while I just blurted out Phoenix without a specific example in mind, I took a look at their buildings and GUESS what I found...built in 1976

US_Bank_Bldg_PHX.jpg

Looks almost like THIS building in Chicago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aon_Center_(Chicago)

Absolutely.

The vertical pleats try to hide the chunky silhouette - think Melissa McCarthy in Olivia Wilde's dress.

I still think this type of tastefully restrained tower proposal would look best over Back Bay Station. It beats the hell out of the jumble of stumps that Boston Properties trotted out over the winter.

Im glad im not the only one who thought that proposal was horrible. Even the towers were like waterside place but tall.

I absolutely hate the base of this proposal.

Absolutely.

shitty, sexist, jackass post. disgusting, dude. do you have no mom or sisters or GF or anything to relate to? gross

shitty, sexist, jackass post. disgusting, dude. do you have no mom or sisters or GF or anything to relate to? gross

Melissa McCarthy is a multi-millionaire because of her goofy fat woman schtick, I cant imagine that being highly relatable to many moms or sisters out there. MM's fatness is a commodity, using that as an analogy is perfectly fine because of it.

She doesn't need a white knight on a small architecture board, that's for sure.

also I'm relieved they didn't pick Trinity, HYM, or Trans National.

But HYM's base and tower were so nice! :'(

FYI that view is not only missing the other new millenium tower ... it even has the intercon under construction. Is that 1997?

^^^^
I'm not crazy on the building but I like this Skyline Pic: How the Top of the tower grazes IP--- This would look awesome especially if it's LIT UP--

I feel Winthrop Garage location is a tough area in my opinon.
I could see this development being Millennium nail in the coffin if we get an economic downtown---especially after the SF fiasco.

You can thank the FAA for that. In places like say NYC you can get the height needed for return on investment, profit, and you still have plenty of height to spare. That means you can get the height you need and still have 1000-500ft to do whatever you want after that.

I understand your point, but I disagree. I don't think the height requires lack of imagination. I also get that Boston is not about pushing any envelopes (which may be good) but I don't find much cause for excitement.

The height requires buildings to be short and fat and also they cannot have a spire. There is still plenty that you can do but at the end of the day your not going to get a spire, and its going to have weird proportions to be able to make money.

Anyways heres a more current version of the skyline with the tower added. Theres no pictures with millennium that are at the right angles yet, but this will do.

I understand the need for safety, FAA regulations, etc.

But it would be nice if this was a taller (800'), more slender building (like the 1st Accordia proposal).

What's an additional 50'?

Let's be honest - if a plane came THAT close to the roof of the building, it's probably got MUCH more serious problems going on and the additional 50' isn't going to matter.

Flight patterns don't bring planes right over downtown. Sure, they zoom just to the east of the Fed Res Bk, but they don't go right over downtown.

But it would be nice if this was a taller (800'), more slender building (like the 1st Accordia proposal).

Let's be honest - if a plane came THAT close to the roof of the building, it's probably got MUCH more serious problems going on and the additional 50' isn't going to matter.

Flight patterns don't bring planes right over downtown. Sure, they zoom just to the east of the Fed Res Bk, but they don't go right over downtown.

As we've been over a few times, this is just not how this works. FAA height limits in Downtown Boston reflect the One-Engine-Out (OEO) emergency protocol, where an aircraft loses an engine on takeoff to the south and has to make a sharp bank under limited power to return to land eastbound. This is actually the more permissive of the possible standards - using the baseline surfaces for areas around an airport, Downtown would have a height limit of around 300'.

Boston ought to look like San Diego or Phoenix. It doesn't because tall buildings already existed at the time the regulations took effect. Every high-rise on the Shawmut Peninsula represents a compromise by the FAA.

Three questions: Would a tower of this size and location be of interest to radio/broadcasting companies? Is it possible that a radio mast could be added to the top after construction? And would the FAA allow that?

Three questions: Would a tower of this size and location be of interest to radio/broadcasting companies? Is it possible that a radio mast could be added to the top after construction? And would the FAA allow that?

Radio mast wouldn't count towards the final height anyways so why even posit the question?

Radio mast wouldn't count towards the final height anyways so why even posit the question?

It wouldn't be official in terms of accounting height, but it would change the visual effect dramatically. I think it's a warranted question.

It does count towards what the tower looks like though just look at the pru, old wtc, and especially the sears tower. But no the FAA would no allow that.

Although this doesnt count towards height-technically, in reality it makes the building look much taller, and a lot more interesting.
willis-tower-chicago.jpg

With regards to downtown, planes don't fly over it, it has more to do with blocking radar coverage.

With regards to downtown, planes don't fly over it, it has more to do with blocking radar coverage.

See Equilibria's post 2142.

Back