Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Re: 111 Federal St. | Formerly Trans National Place (Winthrop Square) Part 2

Okay, but then what do you not fund? Does the City not need parks or affordable housing? Like it or not (and it's for the better), the City doesn't control transit here - the Commonwealth does. The City pays the MBTA for the service. We can definitely talk about raising those rates, but that's how Boston contributes to the MBTA.

Plenty of projects around Boston are built on the MBTA's land, bought or leased. Those proceeds fund transit 100%. If the Legislature wants to work out some way that Downtown Core projects put money aside from a State perspective to win State approval, then fine, but that's not the City's business. They should use their income to improve the stuff they're responsible for.

FWIW, official PNF out a week ago:

http://www.bostonplans.org/getattachment/5f51a0ad-6157-419e-a437-089917c78905

We've seen these pictures before. Listed height is "up to 775 feet" (BPDA height, but I bet that's also structural height, since the FAA won't let them build that tall anyway).

Now that the PNF is in and we know the address, can we please change the thread's name to reflect the proposed project? It's "115 Winthrop Square | Financial District".

Also, if you want full-screen renders, they have a website up at mpwinthropsquare.com. Somebody could have some fun extending the building to 775', since they haven't done it.
Thank you. They're going for LEED Platinum btw!
(Sorry for low quality images, but that's actually quality they are in the PDF)

ZmclQbl.png

HFmC1Di.png

b6sLPdP.png

6nl9YLH.png

N1qmC7p.png

riPVtgP.png

XLCLTAu.png

tKFbIzF.png

bVYKH0E.png

qwMVIqP.png

ic33D5c.png

w0WLYpt.png

jNh4EjQ.png

x21TNBs.png

ktRsonT.png

Re: 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

^ Wow.

It says north elevation, where would you be standing to see this uninterrupted line from ground to top?

It doesnt exist unfortunately. I cant remember the name of the building but they cut away the building this is tucked between to show this render. The only unobstructed views have already been rendered. One is with the winter garden-or whatever its called side, the other is the fat side you'll be able to see from that tiny park in front.

The left side of this render is what you see there. You can see that both sides are blocked though.

accordia.jpg

Last edited:

^ Wow.

It says north elevation, where would you be standing to see this uninterrupted line from ground to top?

I had the same thought. I believe that the answer is basically nowhere. The north elevation is mostly blocked by 75/101 Federal and One Federal behind it. The north view in general would be from Government Center, so the upper floors of the Bulfinch Crossing towers ought to have a good view of it.

On the other hand, I wonder if they can twist the building up to 90 degrees without ruining their great hall idea. That would put some version of this view on the Common and Airport sides. Worse for residential views, but great for shadow reduction.

^ Wow.

Within an office at 75-101 Fed.

I had the same thought. I believe that the answer is basically nowhere. The north elevation is mostly blocked by 75/101 Federal and One Federal behind it. The north view in general would be from Government Center, so the upper floors of the Bulfinch Crossing towers ought to have a good view of it.

On the other hand, I wonder if they can twist the building up to 90 degrees without ruining their great hall idea. That would put some version of this view on the Common and Airport sides. Worse for residential views, but great for shadow reduction.

I was wondering the same thing. They twisted copley a little bit to change the wind I believe and with this Im just waiting for them to spin it to reduce shadows. It would look horrible if it was twisted though, it would be the thin sides from the waterfront and common, and the fat sides would be the north-south elevations, basically it would be fat from the sides of the skyline and thin from the front and back.

Within an office at 75-101 Fed.

Exactly. Clever marketing because that's a neat elevation; but it doesn't exist for the average person.

For me, the success of this project hinges on the public accessibility of the Great Hall. If it's only open 9-5 M-F, it's just a big lobby and there are plenty of those around (including a block away at 1 Federal which has a Starbucks and lets you walk inside for about a block on a cold winter day), and what will probably end up being the Winter Garden at 100 Federal.

However, if it's a truly accessible space it'll provide a great means of access between Federal Street and Winthrop Square which has potential to be one of downtown Boston's neatest urban spaces (especially with the foot traffic an occupied residential component will provide). I love Winthrop square from an aesthetic standpoint, but it's not particularly accessible unless you mean to be there, and there's not much activity on the street level. This could change that. If it's not accessible, you essentially have another lobby replacing the garage fronting the square. An improvement? Yes. But not particularly transformational.

Last edited:

Exactly. Clever marketing because that's a neat elevation.

For me, the success of this project hinges on the public accessibility of the Great Hall. If it's only open 9-5 M-F, it's just a big lobby and there are plenty of those around (including a block away at 1 Federal which has a Starbucks and lets you walk inside for about a block on a cold winter day), and what will probably end up being the Winter Garden at 100 Federal.

However, if it's a truly accessible space it'll provide a great means of access between Federal Street and Winthrop Square which has potential to be one of downtown Boston's neatest urban spaces (especially with the foot traffic an occupied residential component will provide). I love Winthrop square from an aesthetic standpoint, but it's not particularly accessible unless you mean to be there, and there's not much activity on the street level. This could change that. If it's not accessible, you essentially have another lobby replacing the garage fronting the square. An improvement? Yes. But not particularly transformational.

Agreed, but I assume it will be open at least evenings and weekends, since it's going to have retail in it.

Exactly. Clever marketing because that's a neat elevation; but it doesn't exist for the average person.

I believe is is planned to be major event space, so I have to assume extended hours and weekend accessibility. If that proves to be the case it is a very nice addition.

Also love Winthrop Square. But doesn't this scheme mean to overhaul it? I hope not.

Re: shadows. My concern is every other developer will come hat-in-hand arguing "you did it for them, why not me?"

i don't believe that will be a problem. This is Menino's site. The Big One. It's a Boston sale on a condemned garage. No other parcel rises to this level of priority for redevelopment, tax revenue + delivering an iconic structure. This has been a featured project for a long time - to become the crown of Downtown Boston. The right people appreciate that this one eludes the strictest concerns over shadows.

It would look horrible if it was twisted though....

Maybe they will keep the base and rotate the upper section, with some narrowing near the top. Accordia's proposals appear to have given consideration to shadow. Their second proposal had rotations, setbacks, cantilevers, and gradual narrowing ...and many of us liked it. Millennium will deliver. The waiting is the hard part.

Last edited:

Millennium sure does know how to build a boring tower. Gotta give them kudos on that

^ It's 2016, pal. You get two design options: either a whole lotta nothing (this) or a bunch of blustery hooplah (the 100 Fed thing). Take your pick.

Also love Winthrop Square. But doesn't this scheme mean to overhaul it? I hope not.

I didn't think so- I just thought they were removing the worst part (the garage) and replacing it with the tower/Great Hall. I hope there's no plan for the actual square.

Hope you're right. I recall one proposal redoing the park with mobile elements that could be adjusted to suit need. Thought that was this developer.

I wouldn't mind some additional pedestrian markings.

Millennium sure does know how to build a boring tower. Gotta give them kudos on that

I wouldn't be so sure that this is what we'll see in the end. I emailed Sarah Myerson at BPDA about re-designing the project at the same height to reduce shadows and got this:

"The BPDA team is currently working with the Millennium team to fully understand the extent of the potential shadow impact and to explore ways in which design solutions including architectural sculpting can work to minimize such impacts."

Take it with a grain of salt but it's possible that we haven't seen the final product.

IAG Meeting Tonight:

Note: This is an IAG meeting. Comments & questions from the IAG are prioritized. Public discussion is only opened if there is time after the IAG has finished. Please be respectful of this format. There is a public meeting on December 5.

115 Winthrop Square Impact Advisory Group Meeting
Nov 28, 2016 | 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM

Type: Impact Advisory Group (IAG)
Fort Point Room
Boston, MA 02210

Description:
Impact Advisory Group (IAG) Meeting for the proposed redevelopment of 115 Winthrop Square in Downtown Boston. The proposed redevelopment of the Project Site consists of a thoughtfully designed, iconic, tower of synergistic uses, up to 775 feet tall, built respectfully around a voluminous approximately 200 foot long by 60 foot wide by 60 foot high area that includes curated public gathering space (the Great Hall) that connects streets, cultures, ideas and people. The Project involves innovative office work space; residential units; retail, dining, and other commercial space; as well as residential and private commercial parking below grade. Design and programming of the Project continue to evolve through market analyses and discussions with the City of Boston and BPDA. The Project is anticipated to include approximately 1,100,000 to 1,500,000 square feet of gross floor area and the allocation of square footage among specific uses will be determined during the design process.

Please note that the purpose of this meeting is different than that of a traditional community meeting. As part of the development review process, IAG members work closely with BPDA staff to identify the impacts of a project and recommend appropriate community benefits to offset those impacts. IAG meetings prioritize discussion between the project proponent (i.e. the developer) and IAG members. If time remains at the end of the meeting, BPDA staff will open the floor to other community members in attendance.

Although anyone is welcome to attend IAG meetings and listen to the discussion, the public meeting on December 5 is the more appropriate forum for the broader public to provide feedback about the project.

http://www.bostonplans.org/news-cal...g?hootPostID=78e4cf8bba560af8adfcf26e931b399e

Back