Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Re: 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

This would look great in the skyline-----I want to see Harbor Garage's new renderings.

This may come across as quibbling but I wish people would use updated pictures when they create renders. That first pic in particularly is really old, and Millennium Tower is not built in either of them. There have been a million pictures posted here since then, including that exact view.

I like tall, but I like the public garden better. How much is the morning sun worth?

I always find the shade / shadow argument strange. In NYC, some of the tallest buildings in the world are going up on Central Park South, casting shadows on Central Park. There was some push back from the community, but it was more about 1,500 ft buildings for billionaires going up. I never heard one peep about shadows.

I always find the shade / shadow argument strange. In NYC, some of the tallest buildings in the world are going up on Central Park South, casting shadows on Central Park. There was some push back from the community, but it was more about 1,500 ft buildings for billionaires going up. I never heard one peep about shadows.

Not for nothing, Central Park is much larger than the Common. Also, the one place in this country where no one complains about "Manhattanization" may be actual Manhattan.

^^good urbanism must give way to Zeus (FAA/Massport), neighborhood reactionaries and their agent provocateurs. ...it is at these sites where those contemptable souls of Boston gather to scream about shadows and other invisible affronts to civilization.

they well should be be sacrificed before the altar of the world's most offensive brutalist inverted ziggurat

–Boston City Hall.

I noted this in the aerial thread but in the picture below, you can see the amount of shadow that MT casts on the Common at approximately 7:15 am on the 23rd of April. I would assume that 115 would cast a shadow just as long to the right of it.

Boston Aerial by Kent Xie, on Flickr

I noted this in the aerial thread but in the picture below, you can see the amount of shadow that MT casts on the Common at approximately 7:15 am on the 23rd of April. I would assume that 115 would cast a shadow just as long to the right of it.

Boston Aerial by Kent Xie, on Flickr

Seriously - how many of you are hanging out on Boston Common at 7:15am?

Oh - NONE of you? That's right.

I used to? I did the 5:45 AM runs with Back on My Feet and then would relax on the common until my office opened for the day where I could take a shower. I wasn't out there tanning though.

I can go out at 7:15 am and count about how many people are hanging in the Common if you like. I don't really care about shadows on the park nor do I think it should hinder this project but while none of us probably hangs out on the Common then, there probably are people who use it at that time.

I think the better question is, how many of those people in the common at 7:15 am are actively trying to shield the sun from their eyes?

Rather than ruining the common for everyone, if anything, this tower would improve the view FROM the common and otherwise have virtually no effect on the park whatsoever.

Why would anyone infer that she was commenting on it for any purpose other than in passing? i can think of plenty of stuff to object over. but that sure as hell isn't one of them.

BTW, can someone please locate the site of 1 Bromfield on that Godforsaken snapshot? The future of Boston hangs in the balance. :)

I can go out at 7:15 am and count about how many people are hanging in the Common if you like. I don't really care about shadows on the park nor do I think it should hinder this project but while none of us probably hangs out on the Common then, there probably are people who use it at that time.

fair enough.

but to anyone complaining about 1/2~3/4 mile long shadows in the first 60-90 minutes after sunrise stemming from Downtown.

you have no business living in a city.

Last edited:

^I sincerely hope that you get the help you need in order to get better, because you clearly are not well.

Then why bother commenting on it?

Because you asked a question and I answered it by saying while WE don't use it, OTHER PEOPLE do and while I don't care for shadow, since this affects people within this forum and outside this forum, you can't just dismiss the issue just because people within this forum doesn't use the park at 7:15 in the morning. While my original comment may have came off as a little snarky, what I mean to say is that I take a walk around the park and give an estimate of the people using the park at that time and whether it is significant or insignificant.

Honestly, if Boston was a bigger and more attractive city for corporations, had the capability to expand their transit system, and didn't have the Seaport fulfilling all the office space demands, I would suggest Boston build a new CBD in the South Bay area and line it with new train stations. FiDi is incredibly hampered by the nearby parks and waterfront. South Bay doesn't have that issue.

South bay has the FAA and train yard issue which is even tougher.

Back