Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Re: 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

you go to the meetings and you meet the Globe nimby's.

the majority of these obstructionist loons are well over 60 years old....

a good many will be on death's door before the cladding even goes up on 115 Winthrop, Parcel 15 or 1 Bromfield.

wackier still, they trully believe they're saving Boston for future generations.

a good many will be on death's door before the cladding even goes up on 115 Winthrop, Parcel 15 or 1 Bromfield.

You probably see this as a good thing?

You probably see this as a good thing?

Yeah, that's pretty nasty, but unfortunately of a piece with "terrible excuses for human beings" and a million other ugly things he's said since he plopped into this forum like a turd in a punchbowl eighteen months ago.

Like I said in another thread, there are people on ArchBoston just as bad or worse than the worst Globe commenters that folks often complain about here.

Like I said in another thread, there are people on ArchBoston just as bad or worse than the worst Globe commenters that folks often complain about here.

I think that's an overstatement. The globe comments actually get blocked.

And no discussions are less civil than Citylab's.

I think that's an overstatement. The globe comments actually get blocked.

And no discussions are less civil than Citylab's.

Respectfully, you're wrong. I don't know what Citylab is, but I was referring specifically to the "NIMBY" or whatever-they're-called commenters on the Globe site that certain people complain about here, not what gets blocked. So yeah, I think calling people "terrible excuses for human beings," and worse, is itself worse than any overwrought hysteria about shadows.

Yeah, that's pretty nasty, but unfortunately of a piece with "terrible excuses for human beings" and a million other ugly things he's said since he plopped into this forum like a turd in a punchbowl eighteen months ago.

That made me laugh pretty hard - thanks for that.

Meh...I have a slightly different take on that. NIMBY's are used to being deified in Boston so they tend to have a much thinner skin than anybody else. Everybody who approves of a building taller than a tree is either a paid poster or has a stake in the development company in their little world. Or is some sort of big business conservative. My take is if you don't point out and shout down idiocy you end up with things like President Trump. That's why all of their lunatic arguments needs to be taken on directly and forcefully even if it ruffles a few feathers and again I'm talking about the professional NIMBY's who oppose every project.

Meh...I have a slightly different take on that. NIMBY's are used to being deified in Boston so they tend to have a much thinner skin than anybody else. Everybody who approves of a building taller than a tree is either a paid poster or has a stake in the development company in their little world. Or is some sort of big business conservative. My take is if you don't point out and shout down idiocy you end up with things like President Trump. That's why all of their lunatic arguments needs to be taken on directly and forcefully even if it ruffles a few feathers and again I'm talking about the professional NIMBY's who oppose every project.

I can say some people here have thinner skins than NIMBYs. Never heard of NIMBYs being deified in Boston unless you're saying there are people that agree with them.

I take it you don't read the Globe. :D

I do. They aren't deified. There's a difference between taking their side and deifying them

Read these comments and never claim archboston is worse than the globe ever again.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...ry/fq1zBxrfxy1uxG0dHQu0wL/story.html#comments

Sorry to keep this going....

Fitch, try to read more carefully. I said there are some people on here who are worse than the typical "NIMBY" Globe commenters that some people complain about. That's all I said. I didn't say archboston was worse than anything. I made no global judgment about archboston.

Last edited:

Respectfully, you're wrong. I don't know what Citylab is, but I was referring specifically to the "NIMBY" or whatever-they're-called commenters on the Globe site that certain people complain about here, not what gets blocked. So yeah, I think calling people "terrible excuses for human beings," and worse, is itself worse than any overwrought hysteria about shadows.

Perhaps you're right.

And this is citylab. Actually saw a death threat on there once.

Perhaps you're right.

And this is citylab. Actually saw a death threat on there once.

I had never heard of Citylab, and after looking at it for less than 3 minutes, I never will again.

To spare some of you, in a nutshell it's "racism! gentrification! cultural appropriation! white people are the worst!"

The first article was about some white guy trying to open up a fried chicken restaurant in a black neighborhood of Pittsburgh (HOW DARE HE!)

Yawn.

I had never heard of Citylab, and after looking at it for less than 3 minutes, I never will again.

To spare some of you, in a nutshell it's "racism! gentrification! cultural appropriation! white people are the worst!"

The first article was about some white guy trying to open up a fried chicken restaurant in a black neighborhood of Pittsburgh (HOW DARE HE!)

Yawn.

There's actually a hell of a lot more to it than that. And I would imagine that quite a few people on these boards have read CityLab before, it being a project of Richard Florida (with whom I have my disagreements). Actually, looking at the home page now, it seems that you purposefully sought out an article that you could complain about being in some way PC.

ITo spare some of you, in a nutshell it's "racism! gentrification! cultural appropriation! white people are the worst!"
Yawn.

That is not what it is about. There are lots of different ideas on Citylab, and you are definitely not providing an accurate view of the site.

Yawn.

Methinks you don't know how much of an impact cultural appropriation does to the culture that is being appropriated. How about you open your mind before you mock people.

Last edited:

Methinks you don't know how much of in impact cultural appropriation does to the culture that is being appropriated. How about you open your mind before you mock people.

+1. Youthinks right.

Back