Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Re: Trans National Place (Winthrop Square) Part 2

I wonder how it'll look after 25 years worth of New York winters?
They don't call it stainless for nothin'. Chrysler Building's upper third seems to be doing pretty well after all these years.

^ Right, but I'm considering falling ice, expansion and contraction due to climate stresses, and damage from the window-washing equipment.

I am imagining the afternoon sun hitting those undulating, parabolic stainless curves and inflicting solar death rays on unwitting pedestrians on the streets below. It would only take the incineration of one elementary school student in the school yard at the base to get the NY Post all up in Gehry's grill.

^^^^
Archimedes, come on down!

It's nice, but it would never work in Boston. Too industrial, IMO. I thought it would look better in Chicago, on the waterfront.

A 1000" tower may dwarf the other buildings downtown, but i think it may pave the way for more 700-900' buildings to pop out of our mediocre downtown plateau. A 1000 footer and a few 7, 8, & 900 footers would make for an interesting skyline. SST at 621' will be an ok start to a visually appealing skyline.

I posted this who knows how many pages ago. I obviously agree, but I still think I'd rather have a building in the 900's (in feet) that is asthetically pleasing, rather than a 1,000+ footer that is boring and uninspired. I think if you get that 900 footer and it looks good, and is a boon to the area, it will help change certain parties' minds about building that high. Then you'd see more buildings in the 600-800 foot range.

Feast your eyes:

8888.jpg

Although off subject, having just three pointed skyscrapers downtown and one in the Back Bay just above what is currently there would do wonders for the skyline.

I have to say I hate almost every single one of Gehry's designs. Yes its new and unique but all his designs looks like it comes from scrunching a piece of napkin and then getting the basic shape of his towers. Other towers like the one proposed in Brooklyn, NY and the one in Cambridge looked like it was struck by an earthquake. This design is one of his better one though I still think it's ugly.

I'm trying to remember if this is like that never built Gaudi skyscraper design.

I have to say I hate almost every single one of Gehry's designs. Yes its new and unique but all his designs looks like it comes from scrunching a piece of napkin and then getting the basic shape of his towers. Other towers like the one proposed in Brooklyn, NY and the one in Cambridge looked like it was struck by an earthquake. This design is one of his better one though I still think it's ugly.

I normally agree with you, particularly citing earlier Gehry works (Santa Monica Place anyone?). I've never been a big fan of the Deconstructivist (sp?) movement in general. I find most of what he does to be overly gaudy and just plain unattractive. It stands out, sure, but so do turds on a white rug (I'm NOT implying that his work is the architectural equivalent of fecal matter, just stating that being different for the sake of being different is not exactly impressive).

That being said, this particular proposal I think is better than much of what we've seen from him. For once, he manages to blend his own signature design with the surroundings and the result is a tower that stands out and blends in at the same time. It's beautiful, and it's unique features help it achieve iconic status without going overboard. the Stata, the Bilbao museum, and others inspire "awe" in me the same way that that over sized road side elephant houses in NJ or Milk Bottle shaped Ice-Cream stands inspire me-- "oh wow, that's different, let's keep on moving unless you want a sugar cone?."

It's just a personal POV, but I am very fond of this rendering.

That skin is Gigeresque:

hr_giger.jpg

Exactly Briv! I was going to say it looks like something out of the Alien's dwellings from the movie. Good eye!

Although off subject, having just three pointed skyscrapers downtown and one in the Back Bay just above what is currently there would do wonders for the skyline.
would,nt that be nice! Then we would have a real skyline!!

That skin is Gigeresque...

Good call, briv. I think the facade is an extension of Gehry's fascination with fish-forms (skeletons and scales).

I was bored, so I made these. These are variations of the Boston Skyline with existing towers that I think would look a lot better than Piano's design.

The original image was taken by Mike in the 45 Province St thread (Mike, I hope you don't mind). Even though I seriously doubt that anything will be built here in any of our lifetimes, we can at least celebrate the fact that we won't get stuck with the Piano box.

With TransAmerica Pyramid (San Fran)
bostontransamericapyramht1.jpg

With Messeturm (Frankfurt)
bostonmesseturmrh4.jpg

With BOA (Charlotte)
bostonboahj8.jpg

With the current 2 story parking garage:

2550426183_3515e50abf_b.jpg

I'm not sure why the Pyramid pic did not show, but here it is again... although I think that Casteven's is the most realistic ;)

bostontransamericapyramgt3.jpg

Back