Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Re: Trans National Place (Winthrop Square) Part 2

I like that one. We need more pointed buildings.

Although it is not yet built, I prefer Nashville's signature tower.

Nashville.png

That does look awesome. The proportions with the signature tower against the skyline are just right too.

I agree Van, we need a pointy building. One that just breaks through the almost perfect plateau that exists now.

Thanks for the pics - I was surprised (in a good way) to see what an impact a tapered tower would have on Boston's skyline from this angle.

^signature tower would definetely be taller than that. in that picture, it can't be more than 700 feet, where in RL it is a supertall.

^Actually although I know the pic I made does not show the Nashville tower to be at around 1054 ft, it should be standing at around 900ft+ if not 1k ft already. What you don't see in the picture (because it was shrunk as I was cropping it) is the spire which in the picture should taper around 1000ft. The BoA building next to it is already over 600ft.

Although it is not yet built, I prefer Nashville's signature tower.

Nashville.png
was in Nashville this past week-end lots of consturction,but was told the Signature tower broke ground but has been cancled?
TENNEESEE66.jpg
TENNEESEE65.jpg
TENNEESEE48.jpg

Great pics! We should steal their design!

sorry but that thing is hideous. Like a robotic japanese beetle. It manages to be original and generic at the same time, no small feat, but absolutely nothing about it says "Boston" to me. That's kind of the problem with photoshopping these other towers in, it just leads to us emulating other cities' buildings. Nothing about the financial district fabric, horizontal or vertical, says "powerful symmetry"--unlike the grids these buildings were designed for. I revel in the view corridors through these streets, and across the tops of the buildings in the area (the view across dewey square from south station's front doors is one) where the myriad planes of the buildings, each following its own natural street orientation, are jumbled together like some cubist painting. Its quite dramatic, and outside of the very bottom of Manhattan, not found anywhere else that I can think of--such a mix of height and irregularity

That's kind of the problem with photoshopping these other towers in, it just leads to us emulating other cities' buildings.

I don't think that's true. We're simply trying to get an idea of what downtown would like with a spired bruilding breaking out in the center of the table-top.

And again, nothing is going to be built there in any of our lifetimes so it doesn't matter anyway.

Pierce is right that the Financial District has something of lower Manhattan to it. Same origins, when you think about it. That's why T-One is right that it is fun to see what a Wall St. type spire or two might do for the look! Has there ever been a cooler city view than Lower Manhattan seen from the harbor, circa 1930? Somebody start photoshopping in the Singer Building and pals! Throw in an ocean liner and a couple of biplanes for laughs!

I revel in the view corridors through these streets, and across the tops of the buildings in the area...where the myriad planes of the buildings, each following its own natural street orientation, are jumbled together like some cubist painting.

dscf0033xn8.jpg

^^Thats a really cool pic

I wholeheartedly agree with Toby and Corey about 1930s Lower Manhattan. Everytime I see an old photo of Lower Manhattan I'm awestruck.
VV

Last edited:

Has there ever been a cooler city view than Lower Manhattan seen from the harbor, circa 1930?

I agree. 1930's lower Manhattan is my idea of a perfect skyline.

sorry but that thing is hideous. Like a robotic japanese beetle. It manages to be original and generic at the same time, no small feat, but absolutely nothing about it says "Boston" to me. That's kind of the problem with photoshopping these other towers in, it just leads to us emulating other cities' buildings. Nothing about the financial district fabric, horizontal or vertical, says "powerful symmetry"--unlike the grids these buildings were designed for. I revel in the view corridors through these streets, and across the tops of the buildings in the area (the view across dewey square from south station's front doors is one) where the myriad planes of the buildings, each following its own natural street orientation, are jumbled together like some cubist painting. Its quite dramatic, and outside of the very bottom of Manhattan, not found anywhere else that I can think of--such a mix of height and irregularity
Yeah everyone I was with at the time hated this building,It was great in Nashville but would,nt want it in Boston!
xx1tennesee047.jpg

^Optimus Prime?

Cathedrals of commerce over rectangles with stripes any day now please.

Off topic but one thing that amazes me is the amount of docks NYC has.

Anyone else momentarily freaked out by those Crush Center banner ads on imageshack?

"Ryan from Stanford has a crush on you."

christ.

Back