Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Re: Trans National Place (Winthrop Square) Part 2

FYI, signs at the garage say closed "indefinitely." The closing has absolutely nothing to do with any tower construction moving forward at this site.

Which is why I wrote exactly what I wrote. If they choose to repair, it means they're investing in the garage for a good long time and you will never see anything redeveloped. If they knock it down, then the only thing to do is build.

Which is why I wrote exactly what I wrote. If they choose to repair, it means they're investing in the garage for a good long time and you will never see anything redeveloped. If they knock it down, then the only thing to do is build.

Sorry, I meant to respond to BussesAin'tTrains who indicated the garage was closing "for good."

^ No problem.

While I am here, I'll add that in true Boston-style they'll probably do a two year study followed by another three year study on whether the garage should be saved.

Ha. I actually meant someone from some historical preservation whatever and stuff group that wanted to save some loser of a building next door. I am definitely too new here to be labeling people as nut jobs. :)

If by "nut-job" you mean 30% of this message board, then yes! Paul Rudolph is the architect.

Paul Rudolph's Blue Cross Blue Shield building has attracted national attention toward preservation and adaptive reuse. There are some links I posted up-thread about three years ago, and there was an article in ArchRecord.

It look like the footprint of the garage alone could yield a decent-sized tower.

BetonBrut, could 133 Federal be incorporated into a new building and still preserve its floors like neighboring 75/101?

^ Of course.

When the initial Renzo Piano scheme was released, several posters expressed disappointment that he failed to incorporate the Blue Cross Building into the base of his tower, as many of the concepts that Rudolph tested here are visible in Piano's seminal work (with Richard Rogers) in the 1970s.

Thanks BB!

That's great news, and thank you for informing. It looks like the best of both worlds could happen on this site.

That's a crazy video - they really maim that poor building in every way possible. Attaching it to a glass cube, carving holes through it (wtf?) hollowing it out as a public art jazz venue (huh?) and then, my favorite of all. unceremoniously carving it up and bringing pieces of the facade to serve as centerpieces at bar mitzvas (or that's how I interpret it anyway). The only proposal I support after seeing this video is keeping the creators far far away from anything Rudolph has ever designed.

That's a crazy video - they really maim that poor building in every way possible. Attaching it to a glass cube, carving holes through it (wtf?) hollowing it out as a public art jazz venue (huh?) and then, my favorite of all. unceremoniously carving it up and bringing pieces of the facade to serve as centerpieces at bar mitzvas (or that's how I interpret it anyway). The only proposal I support after seeing this video is keeping the creators far far away from anything Rudolph has ever designed.

I had the same reaction. WTF gets taken to a whole new level.

The first proposal (just building around it) is the preferred option and the one that makes the most sense. The rest that follow had me clamoring for the nearest wall to bang my head on.

Last edited:

Shep, I'm not in love with any of the ideas in the video, but it's interesting to see how people are thinking and what constitutes "preservation."

For my money, I'd love to see André Balazs come to town and do with the Blue Cross Building what he did with the Superior Oil Building in Downtown LA.

KZ's and his bandmates have stayed in that property -- what did you guys think? And would something like that work here in stodgy Boston?

Last edited:

Please knock the garage down. Put it out of its misery.

l2v0wMc.jpg

For my money, I'd love to see André Balazs come to town and do with the Blue Cross Building what he did with the Superior Oil Building in Downtown LA.

KZ's and his bandmates have stayed in that property -- what did you guys think? And would something like that work here in stodgy Boston?

Definitely see the parallels, but I doubt such a flashy concept has any lasting viability here. Everything about the Standard DTLA was over the top and aimed for the edgiest of clientele, and having a decent grasp on the kind of people visiting here (never mind those who chose to stay in downtown proper) I'd say the concept would fly over almost everyone's heads.

As for my personal memories of the place, I'd say it had a very lively and cheerful atmosphere to the point of it almost feeling like a dorm with people making noise out in the halls 'til late nite, and it had a top-notch rooftop bar and lounge area. Super fun but limited in appeal.

Is the proposal for the supertall skyscraper still alive? Pardon my ignorance but I've been out of the loop for a while

Is the proposal for the supertall skyscraper still alive? Pardon my ignorance but I've been out of the loop for a while

A supertall is probably out of the question due to the FAA. However, it is eventually expected that a 700-800'+ building will be proposed on this site. The original proposal is dead.

TNCI has apparently liquidated, per this May 2013 Letter to Creditors (PDF). This was Steve Belkin's company, although maybe not "his" - I'm not sure how much he (and his wife) owned and whether his "$300 million" net worth including any of the company's assets.

He is listed on the city's assessor's site as owner (or, his trust is) of the property at 2 Charlesgate West. Not sure if that was / is being sold off.

Did people say he owned the building next to the Winthrop Street parking garage, the Rudolph building?

Yea I'm almost positive he did. That's what placed him firmly as the front-runner for this project when it was put up to bid.

Belkin does indeed own it, and this is big news. With the closing of this garage and the most-likely sale of 133 Fed, you can kiss it goodbye in the next 5 years. That building was also pretty vacant, which could have also contributed to Belkin's financial issues.

This might be a stupid question but could the city (legally and/or financially) buy the property and sell it as a package deal with the garage to a developer?

Back