Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Re: Trans National Place (Winthrop Square) Part 2

The tenants can buy matching Donald Trump brand shirts and ties at Building 19.

Can anyone quantify the potential demand for an additional 1-2 million square feet of office space downtown?

What is the planning, permitting, and construction timeline for something that big? 5-8 years?

I would imagine that they would need a large tenant to committ in order to get financing. Additionally, residences might be a tough sell since 45 province is still not full.

I don't think that sort of office tenant exists in Boston right now.

Exactly. There's no demand there.

Perhaps another "innovation" incubator can move there?

I think the best way to go about this would be micro units. Maybe they can get some influence from this classic tower:

field-of-dreams-scene.jpg

Would a mixed-use tower work consisting of residential, hotel, and office work? Boston is in great need for more hotels and having a large hotel component in a tall tower such as this might be able to satisfy the demand.

Would a mixed-use tower work consisting of residential, hotel, and office work? Boston is in great need for more hotels and having a large hotel component in a tall tower such as this might be able to satisfy the demand.

Well, the hotel crunch would be eliminated if this was a hotel.

I don't think that sort of office tenant exists in Boston right now.

Maybe the city & the BRA can entice the rest of the financial districts tenants to relocate to Tommy's New Tower with massive tax break incentives.

No seriously its about Jobs.

Maybe the city & the BRA can entice the rest of the financial districts tenants to relocate to Tommy's New Tower with massive tax break incentives.

No seriously its about Jobs.

According to an article today in MarketWatch.com (I cannot link it on this cellphone) regarding Dubai planning to build its tallest office tower despite a 40+% office vacancy rate, Boston currently has a 20% office vacancy rate . That would explain why almost all new construction is residential and not office.

I thought it was closer to 10%

If there were a hotel component, it's about a 15 minute walk or a short bus ride to get to the BCEC. I know people like to be right next to the convention center, but that'd be a pretty attractive option to people with the trade off being a downtown location near (hopefully thriving) new developments.

I thought it was closer to 10%

Me too. Wasn't there a report out a month or two ago saying downtown's vacancy rate was at or near 10% and falling? Things are getting better, to be sure.

That is pretty good, no? Like unemployment vacancy cannot and should not be zero.

Seaport and Back Bay are adding the only shiny and new office space in the near term. Somewhere around 2020, when all those 80's towers downtown are getting really tired and dated, there may indeed be strong enough demand for shiny, new uber-premium office space downtown.

Back