Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Re: 111 Federal St. | Formerly Trans National Place (Winthrop Square) Part 2

There's a public school in 8 Spruce Street/New York by Gehry in Lower Manhattan, though I'm not sure if that immediate part of town (close to the Brooklyn Bridge) is included within NY's Financial District.

Yeah, but does putting one here do any good if all the "residential" units in these buildings are owned by multinational absentee multimillionaires without kids?

Yeah, but does putting one here do any good if all the "residential" units in these buildings are owned by multinational absentee multimillionaires without kids?

Aye, there's the rub. 8 Spruce was just an example, either way, I'm certainly not saying it was the best idea.

From the RFI response PDFs...

ACCORDIA
Architect: SHoP/Hacin

UDb1ioj.jpg

gKirrkR.jpg

75nnUPZ.jpg

KsB7Ap8.jpg

Tj4s1ai.jpg

NzDiRcg.png

6fPQi3t.jpg

gX9UBi6.jpg

0wZBPZR.png

SCD6oM9.png

vuuYJXm.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TRANSNATIONAL/BELKIN
Architect: CBT

Zh5laqg.jpg

tmTzJsP.jpg

vDeOVni.png

Rooyk2U.png

5VPIs7i.jpg

INap1iB.png

0CEp6Y2.jpg

tj0OhWk.jpg

7wEZa3V.jpg

HITqugQ.jpg

oUhrOT6.jpg

mRlAFzX.jpg

d0XTusF.jpg

UT3pfED.png

RwfzRXS.png

v7Sut3U.jpg

FDAlqQX.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FALLON
Architect: HOK

yHpmKu0.jpg

Vhz4Pjn.jpg

MBZMV6T.jpg

lNdBhkr.png

XcvPi0w.jpg

HYM
Architect: Elkus Manfredi

boY1Hz7.jpg

CsYLoKZ.png

ZfTg5E0.png

6trxO4w.png

wAtJpqX.png

sXW07iy.png

JjceRoz.png

lsBNOcg.jpg

LEND LEASE
Architect: Graziani + Corazza

(This proposal included tons of renders of Aura. You can look it up if you want to see them all.)

PTslobF.png

B45jlTx.jpg

MILLENNIUM
Architect: Handel

335lwDq.png

NQc1uTm.jpg

6RX08J9.jpg

llgrZso.jpg

wjpFg46.jpg

SKmmlmr.png

iSjuioM.jpg

Y2Z8c5i.jpg

XgRYXK4.jpg

ArxWdgf.png

aYTbizX.png

T44W7JU.png

TRINITY
Architect: TAT

6KL6LKX.jpg

yRCRkRx.jpg

BhkZzyY.jpg

vcfjHqQ.jpg

gMMg3Fb.jpg

mZWQRbe.jpg

4ur6t1Y.jpg

AQSiyaK.jpg

bXZVWL5.jpg

Give me accoridia or give me death.

Thanks Data!

The cladding on the shorter Transnational building really looks like a cheap knockoff of the original WTC towers in NYC.

HYM's idea is neat, but the notional massing of the tower is less interesting than Accordia.

+1 on Suffolk 83's comment. But if that is what we will receive as opposed to the nothing garage, I will take it!!

Barring a very impressive design from HYM (and I am not impressed by the current massing in their presentation) this needs to be Accordia. Nothing else comes close.

I'm sorry but CBT-Belkin is total moist dogshit yet again...Belkin should be put on blast down at City Hall

Love the Accordia presentation

whhhhhy did you post that like that

Accordia is so superior to all the others. If they don't get the bid I will be massively disappointed.

Acc-or-di-a! Acc-or-di-a! Acc-or-di-a!

I'm not a fan of the HYM configuration. It strikes me as an extremely inefficient use of space. I'd much rather see St. Anthony's stay separate from this project and maybe go the Citicorp Building route somewhere down the line.

Belkin's proposal...ugh.

The Accordia proposal by a mile, but I must say this picture strikes me kinda queer: instead of highlighting how awesome it'll be on the skyline it just reinforces how dull of a box shape it really is. I hope the ghost of Menino haunts these developers and architects in their dreams until they come up with a silhouette even halfway interesting.

75nnUPZ.jpg

Here is how I rank them.

1) Accordia
2) Accordia
3) Accordia
4) Accordia
5) Accordia
6) Accordia
7) Accordia

Belkin should be ashamed of himself, but TAT should be more.

And I'll admit it... this is the one location in the city that I care almost 100% about height and all that.

Reminiscent of all of the NWTC proposals that were out before the rebuild there began! :cool:

Here is how I rank them.

1) Accordia
2) Accordia
3) Accordia
4) Accordia
5) Accordia
6) Accordia
7) Accordia

Belkin should be ashamed of himself, but TAT should be more.

And I'll admit it... this is the one location in the city that I care almost 100% about height and all that.

+1

I actually like what HYM is doing in terms of urban design but the fact that they have no tower design is troubling.

You can tell which developers have built in Boston the most by how conservative their designs are.

This needs to be Accordia and it needs to be Bostons new tallest. With mechanicals on top and the crown (good god if its lit up at night this thing is a winner) this has to hit the 800ft mark set by the FAA. Theres no reason not to push this right up to the height limit and make that impact on downtown the city has been waiting for forever.

On a side note I didnt realize how they designed it to fade from terra cotta brownish red which is essentially Bostons official color to glass on top to go from old down low to new up top. Also the way that the lower levels are scaled to fit with the neighborhood and the top is designed to stand out from all angles this thing is a winner.

Boston is already an architects wet dream, but imagine if our high rises start living up to that also. This city is going to be unstoppable.

Cool, thanks for posting.

Accordia is interesting...a bit of Harbor Garage, and Gov't Center Garage projects. The mix of materials and patterns.

Trinity, just no, because TAT = Kensington. It makes me angry just seeing their name on anything, let alone the potential tallest building downtown.

What is also clear: the love of the flat roof in Boston continues!

Back