Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Re: 111 Federal St. | Formerly Trans National Place (Winthrop Square) Part 2

After looking at all the proposals I think that the Accordia proposal is still a very high quality proposal and I would be happy with Lendlease, Accordia, or HYM (aside from their timeline).

Not a lot of love for the Accordia Observation Deck. I think it looks unbelievable.

It's quite nice, and the massing on p.51 of the proposal is too. I just wish they could have translated this into something that actually looks good.

1z6xh61.png

Other goodies in the PDFs: Millennium needed to go with the napkin...

2crvald.png

And HYM was the only one to render with One Bromfield. Lendlease went with pictures old enough to exclude MT (Atlantic Wharf is U/C in them).

10f41s5.png

Accordia would be a much better proposal if it wasn't green. Why? Also the trend of putting vegetation ontop of buildings is such a fad, it looks so dumb on this tower.

If Lendlease isn't chosen, maybe they could work that tower into their proposal for the Volpe site. I think it would actually work better there than at the Winthrop St Garage.

1 Landlease it's not even close. If they show they can get it done I hope the BRA selects them.

2 Accordia - I actually like this proposal. Surprised it's getting so much negative reaction so far.
3 HYM Very nice but waiting 7 years or maybe longer? No thanks.
4 TransNational not bad but nothing special either
5 Millennium love MP but I think it's time for someone new.
6 Trinity basically a filler building. after what the city asked for how do they submit that?

I don't feel like going back to check but I'm curious who dropped out? Fallon and who else?

Last edited:

TRINITY
HEIGHT: 725' TO UNKNOWN

RENDERS

0TQgCeoh.jpg

PLANS, SECTIONS, ELEVATIONS

HLWlfm5h.png

XQYfR5sh.jpg

CONCEPT (Links to larger)

Last edited:

TRANSNATIONAL
HEIGHT: 725' TO UNKNOWN

RENDERS
PRYc9Zoh.jpg

WLfViUuh.jpg

ULgyv1fh.png

tpqZOBPh.png

uk9MOT2h.jpg

hdyCBrRh.png

Eri8um2h.png

22OEWwwh.png

OQq0dbdh.png

r7dbwWlh.png
471PWH7h.png

czoArgdh.png

Last edited:

MILLENNIUM
HEIGHT: 725' TO DECK OF ROOF, TIP UNKNOWN

RENDERS

RNCHSIdh.png

3Jn0qJEh.jpg

QOAe5xvh.jpg

a4OT5Srh.jpg

wnCjHmGh.png

vfWW12sh.png

yyQh9Mah.png

ZfCOUDYh.png

I0iCwifh.png

ye5Lms7h.png

Last edited:

LENDLEASE
HEIGHT: 725' TO TIP

RENDERS

eVWpEWdh.png

WEFkPHxh.png

SxZnFK1h.jpg

SuDHzC4h.jpg

G3RE2wxh.png

qAvbYnjh.png

eMtNqmSh.png

BBUqJVvh.png

AokQF7Zh.png

vUKGvDOh.jpg

QeLzbvKh.jpg

R5eeeRCh.png

8QfOdy1h.png

ZiF1TyBh.png

xs0SvgQh.png

PL9JENSh.png

Xjv9Rbsh.png

Last edited:

HYM

RENDERS

HCvBfTeh.png

JiWPXNth.png

SUm2p89h.png

V0mI8HUh.png

B0v8a0lh.jpg

FWRYaKRh.jpg

VP8A0Cgh.png

vzapdL7h.png

BUPRipJh.png

a4qWfTbh.png

Last edited:

ACCORDIA

RENDERS
uO8fbeAh.png

aQVqV2ah.png

xD12yoKh.png

oZgiqNAh.png

NVYklJ9h.png

Dw0F3G6h.png

EWswf7zh.png

cPiO1Anh.png

sRlZF8Lh.png

Last edited:

Lendlease times 200 million. WTF IS ACCORDIA DOING. They had it nailed.....never seen something go from that good to that bad before, they pulled the biggest bait and switch in history. Trinity is a joke. Millennium I could live with...but this is THE parcel to go iconic. I don't want to just be like yea its not bad when I look at whats built on this parcel. All of these are manageable but why is that what were getting? New York is throwing up some architecture now that looks even better than some of the art deco they have which I never thought would be possible.

Last edited:

As I look at the Accordia proposal, I am taken aback by what they're trying to do with texture. I think I am so used to seeing hazy/gauzy renders, that subtlety is often lost.

As I was looking at those diagonal striations, I thought that it was a typical overly-wrought render:

EWswf7zh.png

but it looks like this effect is the cause of these rotating mullions (someone with an actual architecture background could tell me what the term for what I'm describing really is)...

You can see them closer here:
xD12yoKh.png

I don't know if that was in the original Accordia proposal or not, but I find it very interesting.

Despite it being an unpopular choice now, I still like the new Accordia proposal. I think the massing is really cool, but I do agree that the green is really weird. If they could subdue how green it is, I'd like it a lot more.

With that said, Lendlease looks the best...any chance they can build that, and have HYM build their proposal on St. Anthony's Shrine? Please??

LENDLEASE!!!!! LENDLEASE!!!!! LENDLEASE!!!!!

What an outstanding proposal. Something uniquely different yet fits in with Boston.

--

If I had to pick a second, it would be HYM. But it's wayyyy down on my list.

Trinity should be embarassed with theirs. Accordia had an very, very solid design before and ruined it.

wow, that lendlease building looks great!

.......but this is THE parcel to go iconic.......We need to demand an Icon here because this parcel will make or break the city.......This is going to the the defining tower of downtown......

I actually completely disagree with this sentiment. It WOULD HAVE BEEN everything you say, except that it's capped at 725'. Considering 1 Bromfield looks to be taller, this parcel will likely only be the 2nd tallest downtown and 5th in the city by the time it's built. It's not as important as it would have been if it could have supported a new tallest.

Right now 1 Bromfield is more iconic than most of these, and even if Lendlease is built, it won't replace the (former) Hancock on the totem pole. Hell, it will be ~30' shorter than 1 Dalton.

Frankly, THE most obvious parcels to go iconic are the ones being screwed up by Boston Properties. (North Station and Back Bay Garage) All we're doing now is raising the rest of the plateau closer to the (former) Hancock/Pru. Nothing short of a new tallest is worthy of your above reaction in terms of skyline impact.

Millennium looks great from these angles.

ye5Lms7h.png

Of course its too much to ask to get real renders of what this looks like. Then they take something that looks this good make it a fatass on the other 2 sides and put the most beligerantly huge podium on it iv ever seen. Come on people. The podium is like half the height of the tower. What is that like 3 different buildings. The podium is literally made up of as many towers as Worcester's entire skyline.....probably taller too. Set backs are one thing and can look good but a podium half the height of the whole friggin tower...... They just did a great podium at MT, looks like they didn't learn anything from their pervious successes.

1. (Tie) Lendlease, great all around, but possibly a strange base?
1. HYM, great ground level design, sleek, but very long timeline
3. Transnational, looks nice, not exciting/iconic
4. Millennium, great base, eh tower
5. Accordia, great massing, awkward color/exterior
6. Trinity, self explanatory.

Everyone has an opinion... Well, to me the lendlease tower looks like a silly penis. It way too over the top, especially for Boston. It's semi-classy but the flourishes make it ridiculous. The gherkin in London although futuristic has class... If Boston had a lot of room to grow nearby, I'd be more supportive, but it looks too out of place.

I like millennium, it fits in but is nice. Too fat on the wide side - either go higher or slimmer. Also the grooves are reminiscent of the csc tower. But I like it the best.

Back