Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Re: 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Wasnt the faa going to allow 725-730?

I sent THIS one:

DEAR Mr>Hiness,

This 115 design is MOST beat iful. PLUS> It NO LONGER has a BIG ANUS on groundfloor, perhaps it has moved to SKYLINE ;)

OUR late great MAYOR Memino is smiling dOwn at Us from HIS Grave. And. So he SHOULD!

BEST WISHHes,

A. Varzi

Please send that!

Millennium, Group showing True colors

Downtown tower---[Great building--still cost taxpayers 7,800,000 Million in future tax incentives
San Fran Tower---sinking and tilting into the city---Taking no Accountability
Winthrop Garage---Won a bid and paid 175 million on the original proposal---Only to dupe the city and change the entire proposal which I'm assuming change the overall risk factors for Millennium, Group.

People on this board think this is a good group I already see the angles on this. They picked up one of many few places to build in Boston on the CHEAP and switch out the proposal. Pretty scummy on swindling prime property from the city of Boston AKA the Taxpayer.

Nothing but angles from this group trying to game the system in the last 3 developments even our Beautiful DOWNTOWN skyscraper in which they are selling 42 units for at least 10+Million.

BRA should be ashamed of themselves falling for this trap. Great city development group watching out for the city more like SUCKERS.

Last edited:

From the other day.

twPcb5cl.jpg

Millennium, Group showing True colors

Downtown tower---[Great building--still cost taxpayers 7,800,000 Million in future tax incentives
BRA should be ashamed of themselves falling for this trap. Great city development group watching out for the city more like SUCKERS.

Please DON'T send that.

Looking at the other renders again it hurts for that to be gone. It was so elegant and the roof even literally formed a crown. Would have been beautiful on the skyline. Now who knows....

A second look at this proposal and I dunno I don't think it's nearly as bad as my initial reaction thought it was.

Two easy fixes:

1. Get rid of the awful checkered tinted window pattern.
2. Fix the top balconies a bit to not be so... obvious?

Otherwise I kind of like the design. I like the mish-mash of facades attempting to be contextual and make the project seem like several different buildings.

A second look at this proposal and I dunno I don't think it's nearly as bad as my initial reaction thought it was.

Two easy fixes:

1. Get rid of the awful checkered tinted window pattern.
2. Fix the top balconies a bit to not be so... obvious?

Otherwise I kind of like the design. I like the mish-mash of facades attempting to be contextual and make the project seem like several different buildings.

The windows are not checkered, they are pleated glass. What looks like a checkered patterns is actually just how the rendering shows the different reflections on the different angles of glass. look at this highres image of the render to see it:

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/9s_...s_asset/file/9995223/WinthropSq_Elevation.png

It is actually kind of an interesting take on the notches in the Hancock, Millennium Tower, and new Four Seasons.

i've been re-looking and re-examining the renders for over a week now, trying to convince myself to like it.

if this gets built as currently designed it will be the single ugliest highrise/skyscraper built anywhere in the world since 1979.

it looks like one of the background buildings in the opening for the original 'bob newhart' show.

it makes one federal street and one beacon street look elegant and forward-thinking.

this is the most disgusting building proposal i've ever seen.

I think I established up thread found5dollar is a millennium partner, or possibly works for handel.

Millennium's actions throughout this process fall somewhere between a sound, strategic plan to win the rfp, and a clever 'swindle.'

Additionally, they created the impression of an iconic tower such that the Building Dept could sell the City on the substantial benefits - all while closing the space above ground off from the public.

Then changed the gilded skin to the ugliest cardboard seen since the '70s.

Brilliant. These guys are real pro's.

http://www.wgbh.org/articles/New-Owner-Means-New-Hope-At-Downtown-Crossing-5493
By Toni Waterman

Feb. 5, 2012

filene's
After years of stalled construction, Menino expects this pit to become a multi-use building in relatively short order. (Toni Waterman/WGBH)

BOSTON — Gone are the bargains, the holiday rush and the wedding dress frenzy — but the former site of the Filene's department store, now a downtown eyesore, has finally turned a major corner.

For the first time in 3.5 years, there’s good news to report on that ghastly, gaping hole at the heart of Downtown Crossing. The site of the old Filene’s building is under development — again.

"Millennium Partners has agreed to take a controlling stake in the project at One Franklin," Mayor Thomas Menino announced on Feb. 3. "This is the first step towards a new beginning at the historic site."

New York–based Millennium Partners is taking over the long-languishing project. Philip Aarons, a founding partner at Millennium, said the company will pour $500 million into the site, building a towering 600-foot-tall building chock-full of shops, offices and apartments.

"We will really target all of the potential uses that could possibly add 24-hour vitality to the critical corner," he said.

That corner has been sitting vacant ever since the site’s current owner, Vornado Realty Trust, ran into money problems and halted construction. It caused a huge dust-up with Menino. But on Friday, the mayor was confident Millennium would have the project off the ground within a year.

"They’re creative. They get the job done. A lot of developers come and go but Millennium comes into the city and gets the job done," he said,

As for the local shop owners who have seen business drop off the charts since Filene’s closed, they’re thrilled by the news. Russ Centamore, who owns Bromfield Camera, said he doesn’t care what goes there — as long as something does.

"All businesses, whether they’re small or big, we can’t survive on one or two small stores down here," he said. "It’s nice to give out cocoa — everyone loves that — but we really need to get businesses opening."

Last edited:

How could the city allow this? Who are the city lawyers representing the original proposals?
Why no contingencies concerning what will be build against the original proposals.

This seems like an inside deal and should be under investigation.
Somebody from the city gave them what would be needed to take out the garage then pull back the proposal and build cheap shit because the condos no matter what will sell for millions.

This type of deal seems shady.

Millennial group is about to be sued because of the San Fran tower. They should have not been chosen for the his site. Big mistake by the city for not putting together some type of accountability clause concerning building the original proposals.

I actually loved their original proposal and was pumped when they got picked. This is not right and the city leaders and the staff should be held accountable for giving a centerpiece of a property away only for them to build garbage because of the location.

Last edited:

I agree you cant show something pretty nice win the bid then swap it out for a value engineered pos to maximize profits. The great hall was a reason the requirement of an obs deck was allowed to be left out. Now its a big lobby, still no obs deck, its fat and has an avalon mid rise nowhere usa facade. The height is chopped down below whats even allowed to add insult to injury. This is insane that after all these years of this site going through the processes it all lead to this lol. 15+ years for this? Wtf? It is Boston in a nut shell though. Its a friggin miracle we got MT. Its literally the worst facade and massing in the entire city on whats supposed to be the centerpiece of downtown.

I think I established up thread found5dollar is a millennium partner, or possibly works for handel.

Are you shitting me?

If you have read just about any fucking thing I have posted here or looked at my post history it is incredibly obvious I am a theatrical scenic designer living in Brooklyn and often working in Boston. Hell I was just recently posting about a show I opened at the Huntington Ave Theater. I have been a member in good standing on this board for over ten years and have never seen something as heinous as what you just did. Trying to "out" me as a paid poster is not just flat out offensive but outright dangerous and completely uncalled for.

Just because I don't believe this building is "the single ugliest highrise/skyscraper built anywhere in the world since 1979" or that "they sold the city a lie" does not mean you can personally attack me like this.

The way this board is devolving to personal attacks is fucking outrageous.

I disagree with people on here all the time but I have never felt someone did something so egregious they should be disciplined, until now. Mods, please do something. This board is dying.

Back