Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Why is it that on one end they are pouring concrete, there is a core starting and steel going up and on the other end, they are still scooping up muck?

^^Yup,
at one of the Meetings, Millennium showed precisely this type of excavation taking place, as sections of the building began the slow rise.
The monster is going to roar very soon.

From 12/23
B92EAF83-086A-4E55-B6AA-83EE2C497D1E.jpeg
F66F0553-AC56-4A5A-8D9E-E9036DD69B3D.jpeg
5BAB2841-F7C7-46EE-AC76-AF8CCA533488.jpeg
3CF7DBFE-BFB5-4F4D-9910-3C845013BF64.jpeg

Why is it that on one end they are pouring concrete, there is a core starting and steel going up and on the other end, they are still scooping up muck?
Top-Down Construction. I'll bet the guys down there appreciate a roof during the cold months. Or maybe not.

Under Winthrop Square #16, the last remarks read: "Expect further evolution in 2020, or the finalization of plans for the prominent spire."

I don't remember reading anything about a spire being a part of WS. Is this new? One lazy google search turns up little to nothing.

Mr. Acitelli assigns his favorite synonym, "spire" to any type of tallish building.

I think the spire is the tower itself.

Since we're talking about the article here (and not on that thread), I'll just point out this stupid quote here:

It now looks like lead developer Hines and partners might just start construction early this year, thanks to a recently closed air rights deal. That would be a major milestone. The project is due to include a 678-foot glassy tower erupting from the station, high enough to become one of the tallest U.S. buildings north of New York City.

One of the tallest north of New York, huh? Specifically, it will be the 6th-tallest. I know that because it will be the 6th tallest in Boston. Funny how that works.

Of course Curbed defines the whole Boston skyline as "those pointy things that aren't located in NEW YORK BABY!"

One of the tallest north of New York, huh? Specifically, it will be the 6th-tallest. I know that because it will be the 6th tallest in Boston. Funny how that works.

Minneapolis and Seattle are both North of Boston. Detroit and Chicago are also both North of NYC. All 4 of those cities have buildings over 700'. South Station Tower would be just outside the Top 40 buildings in the US that are North of NYC, if it was completed in 2020. By the time it's completed it will be noticeably further down than that.

Since we're talking about the article here (and not on that thread), I'll just point out this stupid quote here:

Of course Curbed defines the whole Boston skyline as "those pointy things that aren't located in NEW YORK BABY!"

I'm pretty sure Chicago, Detroit, Seattle, and Minneapolis are north of NYC technically.

Minneapolis and Seattle are both North of Boston. Detroit and Chicago are also both North of NYC. All 4 of those cities have buildings over 700'. South Station Tower would be just outside the Top 40 buildings in the US that are North of NYC, if it was completed in 2020. By the time it's completed it will be noticeably further down than that.

Just goes to show how "NEC" Curbed's editorial mindset is.

I'm pretty sure Chicago, Detroit, Seattle, and Minneapolis are north of NYC technically.

Wow, I beat you to the punch by literally a few seconds. We both nailed the same 4 cities though!

Add Cleveland to that. 2 more over 700' there. Anything else? In case you're unsure google "New York City Latitude" then whatever city you are comparing, also with the word latitude.

What about Toronto and Montreal..

It says U.S. in the article. Otherwise we'd also be including Calgary, Edmonton, and then heading over to Europe for London, Moscow, St Petersburg...

Montreal has 1 cheater building considered taller than 678', but in actuality it has a ridiculous side spire that shouldn't count a lick. The roof is 650's and its otherwise tallest is 673'.

Back