Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

I sunk an unreasonable amount of time on that skyscraper page.

Although #1 and #2 are from the 70's and 60's respectively, #3-6 are new buildings (fingers crossed on SST) and #9 is the new State Street HQ. It is good to see that although we moan about no new "tallest in Boston" coming through, there is a decent number of new construction in the top 10.

It's basically the densest area of a city that's already at around 200 buildings over 200'. If we think it's up to about 250' now, it would be the 150th tallest building in the city. Tough to stand out from 150th place!

I sunk an unreasonable amount of time on that skyscraper page.

Although #1 and #2 are from the 70's and 60's respectively, #3-6 are new buildings (fingers crossed on SST) and #9 is the new State Street HQ. It is good to see that although we moan about no new "tallest in Boston" coming through, there is a decent number of new construction in the top 10.

It's all relative! I am typically on that multiple times every week. I enjoy pairing Boston up against other cities (put the other city in the search first so they don't muddle up the Boston searches) and will compare how they match up across the Top 100 combined (ie the first 4 pages).

We are doing well with that #3-6, although obviously 6 isn't out of the ground and shouldn't even be listed as U/C yet. Also, #3 is possibly #2 since we don't really know the true height of 1 Dalton, and State Street is probably really #7 but they just have it as an even 600' for now. Of course, once we replace half of the Top 10 in under 10 years, then we are more than ever crying out for a new tallest to be built in Boston. If you go by "deserving" using the criteria of (A) how old our tallest is, (B) how tall our tallest is on the national/world stage, and (C) how well the city is doing in general from a construction standpoint, I'd say at this point there is not a single city IN THE WORLD more "deserving" of a new tallest building than Boston. I would have put Miami there due to their insane boom, but they recently built a mid 800's and continue to raise the bar. I would have put Sydney there for sure but suddenly they have multiple 800's. I mean, what other city could we possibly put other than Boston? Maybe Baltimore because their tallest is so pathetic? (certainly not because it's booming like Boston) Really, I challenge everybody here to name a more deserving city on the planet using the 3 criteria above.

If you go by "deserving" using the criteria of (A) how old our tallest is, (B) how tall our tallest is on the national/world stage, and (C) how well the city is doing in general from a construction standpoint, I'd say at this point there is not a single city IN THE WORLD more "deserving" of a new tallest building than Boston. I would have put Miami there due to their insane boom, but they recently built a mid 800's and continue to raise the bar. I would have put Sydney there for sure but suddenly they have multiple 800's. I mean, what other city could we possibly put other than Boston? Maybe Baltimore because their tallest is so pathetic? (certainly not because it's booming like Boston) Really, I challenge everybody here to name a more deserving city on the planet using the 3 criteria above.

Washington, DC :p

Washington, DC :p

Metro DC is building taller buildings though, specifically I think in Tysons or whatever its called now. I mean, if Kendall built taller than the Hancock, I wouldn't include Boston on the list anymore, even though Kendall is technically Cambridge.

Metro DC is building taller buildings though, specifically I think in Tysons or whatever its called now. I mean, if Kendall built taller than the Hancock, I wouldn't include Boston on the list anymore, even though Kendall is technically Cambridge.

The Washington Monument is still taller than anything in Northern Virginia afaik. I’m obviously being tongue in cheek because they‘ve chosen to limit height as a matter of policy, but by your 3 metrics they are much more “deserving” than Boston. Built 1884, 555 feet, in a city growing faster than Boston is.

The Washington Monument is still taller than anything in Northern Virginia afaik. I’m obviously being tongue in cheek because they‘ve chosen to limit height as a matter of policy, but by your 3 metrics they are much more “deserving” than Boston. Built 1884, 555 feet, in a city growing faster than Boston is.

Except the Washington Monument isn't actually a building. Do you realize that Newton has a freestanding supertall tower? That isn't part of this conversation either.

Here's Tyson's Corner, which built the new tallest building for the area in 2018 and has a building proposed to go even taller than the Washington Monument. I thought that one was U/C already but looks like I am mistaken.

1622095435093.png

Mainly I just hope it's a different color from MT, and obviously any other glass in the city. I think that it is, but it's hard to tell for sure until it gets higher and starts reflecting sky and not just the buildings around it.

Just a reminder of what we're expecting here, thanks to Beeline pointing it out earlier.

Still hard to tell how the shade of it will look on the skyline as compared to the shade of MT's glass, until there's a substantial amount of it and we can directly compare them from different views. Quality looks good, fingers crossed the general cladding isn't completely derivate of MT, only with waves.

I love how Boston just hangs Red Sox, Patriots, Bruins and Celtics flags on the same pole as the American Flag LMAO. Made my day there.

And seeing how they forgot the Patriots flag, I'll just assume the American flag represents the real "America's team"!

The glass panes seen is #5711 appear to be translucent and colorless. Hopefully that just the angle of the picture that was taken.

Back