Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Always seemed to me that the view from Logan gives the skyline a disappointing look. Nothing that says to me “wow, I can’t wait to get over there!” San Diego is kind of the same. But in fairness there is the enticing view from the Dubai airport, and when you “get over there” it’s kind of disappointing (to me).

Imagine how prominent south station tower is going to be being out in the open.

Completely agree. I think SST will be much more prominent in the skyline compared to MT or Winthrop tower. I'm really looking forward to watching that one.

... San Diego is kind of the same. ...

I believe that San Diego has similar FAA restrictions since the airport is in close proximity to their downtown, if you can call it that. Boston's skyline is far superior.

I believe that San Diego has similar FAA restrictions since the airport is in close proximity to their downtown, if you can call it that. Boston's skyline is far superior.

San Diego caps its skyline at 500'. Boston currently has 22 buildings 500'+. It's no contest! It does look like they are "relaxing those standards" as of last year, so who knows what that means...

Of course, things can change in a hurry. Take Edmonton for example, which essentially had the same height limit then moved (or removed) the airport causing it. Literally the first thing they did to celebrate was to eclipse the Hancock.
1650553916099.png

Last edited:
When flying into San Diego you are less than a mile from high rises.
Totally different scenario.

Yes, yes we know all that! Simply remarking that both cities look dreary from the airport. But on landing approach, Boston looks good! And I always enjoy picking out my residence.

The skyline finally seems to be looking as changed as it actually has changed. Theres been a lot of construction so far, but I feel like the skyline still kinda looked the same. It seems like with one congress and winthrop both wrapping up it finally looks like a lot has changed. Sometimes even deep into the cycle Id see pictures from the 2000’s and not even realize at first glance it was an old pic, I dont think thats possible anymore.

The skyline finally seems to be looking as changed as it actually has changed. Theres been a lot of construction so far, but I feel like the skyline still kinda looked the same. It seems like with one congress and winthrop both wrapping up it finally looks like a lot has changed. Sometimes even deep into the cycle Id see pictures from the 2000’s and not even realize at first glance it was an old pic, I dont think thats possible anymore.
I'd agree. Again, arrival at Logan the other morning, and maybe it was the golden sunrise hour, but between everything at North Station, Bulfinch Crossing, One Dalton in the distance, PO Square reno, cranes all over the Seaport, this of course, and SST to come- what can sometimes feel like a glacially slow place, is in fact a VERY changed city.

Here's the key stat that I will repeat again once South Station Tower is up... Through 2015 our 5 tallest buildings (Hancock, Pru, Fed, 1 BP, 1 IP) averaged approximately 670'. The 5 tallest of this boom (including South Station) will average approximately 680'. So not only are we doubling up at our top level, but the new 5 is actually taller than the previous 5! Overall it will raise the heights of both our Top 5 and 10 by over 60', from 670' to 731'+ for Top 5, and 615' to 676'+ for the Top 10. The reason I included the "+" is because I only counted 1 Dalton as 742' in the calculations while it could be as high as 756'.

Last edited:
Thank god that view is an edge on view of the sleek thin side vs what would have been a fat jumbled mess had the 2nd tower not been chopped down. It looks great and really emphasizes the verticality esp with the long vertical lines of the pinstripes. Thankfully they didnt try to colossal order away the vertical feel of the tower and instead emphasized it.

At a distance, this does look like a copy of MT. Luckily, within Downtown, you are able to better discern the difference between the two, and they look more like cousins rather than twins.

I'm still wondering how much taller this will get. I now it's not much, is it just the mechanical left? The building angle looks great from the expressway. Is South Station going to block it in any way or some of the others, or is it far enough away to keep good lines of site to some of the others we see now?

Back