Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

^Thats a cool perspective. I like how both Millennium Towers (and the chonk at One Congress) frame One Boston Place. OBP used to be one of the dominant landmarks driving into town from the north (my dad worked there and used to always pony out “the building with the hat). Things have certainly changed.

^Thats a cool perspective. I like how both Millennium Towers (and the chonk at One Congress) frame One Boston Place. OBP used to be one of the dominant landmarks driving into town from the north (my dad worked there and used to always pony out “the building with the hat). Things have certainly changed.
I think I've said it before on this forum, but One Boston Place is my least favorite skyscraper on the entire skyline. For some reason, that "hat" really bothers me. The rest of the building is fine and kind of reminiscent of the Hancock Tower in Chicago with the external structure showing. However, I would LOVE to see something done to that hat at the top to make it more integrated into the design. :)

I think I've said it before on this forum, but One Boston Place is my least favorite skyscraper on the entire skyline. For some reason, that "hat" really bothers me. The rest of the building is fine and kind of reminiscent of the Hancock Tower in Chicago with the external structure showing. However, I would LOVE to see something done to that hat at the top to make it more integrated into the design. :)
I definitely don't love the hat either. I do think it's one of those buildings that looks better up close than from a distance though. I like to color (it's a nice contrast to others in the area), and I think it gives the optical illusion of being taller than it is (black and vertical stripes are slimming they say) which is a novelty for Boston (especially the Financial District). I'd be open to suggestions for fixing the hat, but I can't see it being done without taking away from the rest of the building.

Agreed 1000000%

A few years ago, I made that comment and someone on here did a photoshop edit of the top for me. It was such an improvement. That ugly box could totally be hidden by some type of crown/screen, with minimal cost. I wish they would do something!

Have always liked that building! It is unique.

From 93 north, Winthrop looks taller than MT (which it is but only by like 5 feet)...once the crown and cladding is done, it might hopefully look to be 20-50 feet taller than MT from that vantage point!

52032925764_ff82f9fb26_k.jpg

From Arlington Heights

52033195630_1ce7c53b3f_k.jpg

From 93 north, Winthrop looks taller than MT (which it is but only by like 5 feet)...once the crown and cladding is done, it might hopefully look to be 20-50 feet taller than MT from that vantage point!
Is the crown occupiable or is it basically a spire?

what a great pic! i envy your morning commute.

Thanks! This is one of the shuttle ferries while the Blue Line tunnel is closed for the next week and a half or so. So this will be my temporary commute before being crammed back in the tube underground. I don't hate this at all and wish they ran it regularly.

FWIW, the ferry shuttle/replacement schedule between Eastie (right next to Tall Ship) and Long Wharf is solid for anyone looking to get a quick harbor ride in over the next week or so. It's free. They post that you're supposed to show a Charlie Card/Ticket to board, but they're not asking to see them (and they have no way of collecting fares anyway).

Back