Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

That view when you step out of south station was always so underwhelming for the location right in downtown. For some reason the angle was just right where there was a hole in the skyline and some really stumpy buildings and a big dig service building that blocked out the whole skyline. Winthrop ctr has finally changed that forever and its nice to see.

The one thing this perspective--all these wonderful photos posted in this thread, from this exact vantage point--conveniently overlooks, of course, is this. A remarkably blighted structure, abandoned and given over to rot since at least 2010, if not prior. Of course, it does represent some exceptional redevelopment challenges, in terms of any would-be developer seeking to "go tall" there, to recoup purchase price and obtain sufficient ROI.

For what it's worth, the FOR SALE page for 51 High: https://greenway-bldg.com/. Per the City of Boston, owner is still John Walsh.

And it’s worse than that, there’s an encampment (maybe since abandoned?) that’s on the Purchase St side piled high with trash and other old belongings. With the MBTA building and fire station on that stretch it really is a vacant wind swept nuisance.

The one thing this perspective--all these wonderful photos posted in this thread, from this exact vantage point--conveniently overlooks, of course, is this. A remarkably blighted structure, abandoned and given over to rot since at least 2010, if not prior. Of course, it does represent some exceptional redevelopment challenges, in terms of any would-be developer seeking to "go tall" there, to recoup purchase price and obtain sufficient ROI.

For what it's worth, the FOR SALE page for 51 High: https://greenway-bldg.com/. Per the City of Boston, owner is still John Walsh.

The history of that building is actually pretty interesting. Was a hardware store that the guy owned for decades. When he finally passed away, his wife ended up selling the building (the mid-2000s, I think?) for like $500k or something, and it's sat ever since. At one point they claimed to be getting a AAA high-end retailer to anchor it and has been on/off the market. I think they put it back on this year - last I checked years ago they wanted millions for it. Always imagine how great it would have been to get it for $500k and then rehab it into a storefront at ground level and one hell of a 4-story house + roof deck overlooking the Greenway above.

The history of that building is actually pretty interesting. Was a hardware store that the guy owned for decades. When he finally passed away, his wife ended up selling the building (the mid-2000s, I think?) for like $500k or something, and it's sat ever since. At one point they claimed to be getting a AAA high-end retailer to anchor it and has been on/off the market. I think they put it back on this year - last I checked years ago they wanted millions for it. Always imagine how great it would have been to get it for $500k and then rehab it into a storefront at ground level and one hell of a 4-story house + roof deck overlooking the Greenway above.

Excellent memory--I just looked up 51 High on Suffolk Registry of Deeds; Mr. Hardware Store Guy sold it to John Walsh for a cool $562.5k in May 2011. Also, re: your "I think they put it back on [the market] this year"--yes, I supplied the link to brokerage house's page for the listing above, here it is again, for what it's worth.

(The Greenway Conservancy should sue this broker for tainting their branding by marketing it as "Greenway Building," ha!)

https://greenway-bldg.com/

Last I heard he was trying to sell it, as a potential 25 story residential development, for $11M

I still stand that I would love to see it restored and put to use - almost the last tenement of the financial district. Maybe we could do an Arch Boston campaign and get it registered as a historic building 😄

I still stand that I would love to see it restored and put to use - almost the last tenement of the financial district. Maybe we could do an Arch Boston campaign and get it registered as a historic building 😄
Not to stay off topic for too long but this is what was proposed, a long shot I'd say:

1670159792802.png

That rendering is quite clearly Manhattan, somewhere around Chambers St. looking northwest.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

That rendering is quite clearly Manhattan, somewhere around Chambers St. looking northwest.
Upon further review, it is actually a rendering of 19 Park Place in Manhattan looking northwest:

That right by the office I work in. It is on Park Place across the street from the new Four Seasons Hotel and Residences in Downtown NYC.

Holy crap, One Post Office Square Building is looking pretty much finished. Woohoo! And I love it, was worth the wait.

Last edited:

Back