Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Re: Trans National Place (Winthrop Square) Part 2

Although creating a discontinuity in Devonshire Street will confuse taxi drivers and visitors even more than they already are....

Yes, It certainly looks like they're just closing it off to autos. The trees suggest that there will be no structures, but park area right there. The funny part is that the way the park area is, it looks like they could have kept the road. But I'm sure it'll make the base of the building that much more beautiful.

But I'm pretty sure you'll still have your walking route.

Closing the road may detact from Winthrop Square's sense of urbanity, which derives in part from the frame given by active streets. I have nothing against green space, but admit a preference to the structure of the Italian or French garden, as opposed to its rambling English counterpart. So to me this looks a bit amorphous, but we'll see!

http://boston.bizjournals.com/boston/stories/2008/03/17/newscolumn3.html

Friday, March 14, 2008
Towering problem: Developer still needs a land dealBoston Business Journal

by Michelle Hillman Journal staff

Steve Belkin is missing one crucial component needed to build Mayor Thomas Menino's 1,000-foot edifice. Land.

Belkin and the city have not been able to come to an agreement regarding how much he should pay for a city-owned parcel that is crucial to constructing the tower. The tower would be located at 115 Federal St. in Boston's Financial District.

During an interview with the Boston Business Journal last month, John Palmieri, director of the Boston Redevelopment Authority, said the city and Belkin were trying to "structure a deal that is fair to both sides."

Palmieri, who has been BRA director for little more than three months, said he "hoped the tower would get built" but "I wouldn't wage odds. I don't know if that would be helpful."

Considering this is a Menino "pet project" hopefully he'll step in and hammer this out. I'd really love to see a spectacular building.

This actually sounds like progress to me. Belkin and the BRA have more than enough time to come to a deal, and there shouldn't be any reason why either side would back out. Palmieri himself even said that he wants this to get built, and Belkin has the deep pockets and support of the mayor.

This actually sounds like progress to me. Belkin and the BRA have more than enough time to come to a deal, and there shouldn't be any reason why either side would back out. Palmieri himself even said that he wants this to get built, and Belkin has the deep pockets and support of the mayor.

According to Boston Magazine, Belkin is worth $300 million; Druker is worth $400 million; Stephen Weiner $700 million; Robert Kraft $1.1 billion; Thomas Flatley, $1.3 billion; Stephen Karp $1.6 billion.
http://www.bostonmagazine.com/articles/the_50_wealthiest_bostonians/

Belkin's pockets are not that deep that he can finance TransNational without a major tenant signed up, particularly in the current and future credit market.

According to Boston Magazine, Belkin is worth $300 million; Druker is worth $400 million; Stephen Weiner $700 million; Robert Kraft $1.1 billion; Thomas Flatley, $1.3 billion; Stephen Karp $1.6 billion.
http://www.bostonmagazine.com/articles/the_50_wealthiest_bostonians/

Belkin's pockets are not that deep that he can finance TransNational without a major tenant signed up, particularly in the current and future credit market.

Good point. At 300m he might need a little help. However, TransNational is worth a lot and they own 101 Federal as well as this building which he is tearing down. I am not sure how all that will play into it.

I always get a kick out of reading that list. But I didn't know that Boston had more millionares per capita than LA, NY, or Chicago. I'm doing something wrong.

the only people that drive down devonshire are the people going to that parking garage.

Good point. At 300m he might need a little help. However, TransNational is worth a lot and they own 101 Federal as well as this building which he is tearing down. I am not sure how all that will play into it.

I don't believe that 101 Federal is owned by TransNational. I work in 101 Federal and it is managed by Lincoln Property Group which I believe is owned by Blackstone (purchased from Equity Office a couple of years ago).

I don't believe that 101 Federal is owned by TransNational. I work in 101 Federal and it is managed by Lincoln Property Group which I believe is owned by Blackstone (purchased from Equity Office a couple of years ago).

Yes, you are correct. My mistake...

http://archboston.org/community/showthread.php?t=968&page=43

For some reason, I thought I read somewhere that Belkin purcahsed 101 about 13 years ago, because he had long-term plans to build TNP.

Yes, you are correct. My mistake...

http://archboston.org/community/showthread.php?t=968&page=43

For some reason, I thought I read somewhere that Belkin purcahsed 101 about 13 years ago, because he had long-term plans to build TNP.

I believe you are thinking about another building on Federal St (perhaps the one with the Cosi and BOLOCO in the bottom?). 101 Federal isn't going anywhere whether this building gets built or not.

I believe you are thinking about another building on Federal St (perhaps the one with the Cosi and BOLOCO in the bottom?). 101 Federal isn't going anywhere whether this building gets built or not.

That one is 133, and it is from where I am writing this now. This is the one he is tearing down to put up TNP. Come to think of it, this IS the only one he owns. I simply confused all of my AB info :)

Is that what the expansion idea was before the architect died?
Just tear it down. There are plenty of other contrete hulks in Boston that show this style and period of architecture, which, i.m.o, are nothing special.
Yes, this was designed by Rudolph himself in the mid-eighties.

In a letter he plans to submit to the Landmarks Commission, Mr. Rohan points out that in 1986 Mr. Rudolph was hired by a former owner of 133 Federal Street to produce a plan for developing that site. Mr. Rudolph, who died in 1997, proposed doubling the building?s size, an idea never realized.

From the New York Times of March 7, 2007.

Paul Rudolph didn't like how 133 Federal turned out, thinking it was too short.

Just got word yesterday from the grounds crew at 133 Federal that demolition will not happen until late next year now due to the market. It will be so much time before we even [possibly] see a tower built here that I am not even counting on it.

Well folks we seem to be at the end of a cycle. It been a fun run but it will probably be slim pickins for a while.

I wonder what we will all talk about after all the projects already under construction are completed?

how terrible this city is?

What a disappointment all the projects we hyped turned out to be?

It's pretty frustrating. Hopefully we get to see the Copley Place Tower get built. And maybe over the next year or so Chiafaro(sp) will give us some renderings or idea as to what he plans to do with the aquarium garage. By then, SST, Russia Wharf and a few of the Fan Pier buildings will be rising. It's not all bad!

Things could be worse....ALL of the projects could be delayed/failed...

Back