Yawkey Center @ Dana Farber | 450 Brookline Ave | Longwood Medical Area

Re: Dana Farber Cancer Care Center

They need to get that guy to do the new extension to the Broad Institute in Cambridge -- about the same size building and equally well funded

I toured Yawkey today with Build Boston and this building is absolutely ASTOUNDING. Not only is the facade great, but the interiors are equally as awesome. Every single finish is so well thought-out in this building. Doors? Wood grain finish instead of plain wood. Glass? Etched and frosted. Cabinets? Decorative prints instead of typical laminate. Everyone should also check out the donor wall on P2 with the light-up tiles. The indoor meditation garden on 3 (double-height space) is absolutely stunning too.

It makes me really sad that this building has to exist (I nearly burst into tears when they walked us through the infusion area), but Yawkey is by far one of the best medical buildings ever built. This was thanks to an extremely collaborative process between ZGF, MDS, Facilities at DFCI, and the patients and families, who influenced the design the entire way through.

I highly recommend anyone who might be passing through the LMA to stop in and take a quick look around the public floors P2, P1, L, 2, 3.

^ Thanks data -- A lot of people worked very hard to make Yawkey happen safely, on time, and on budget.

^ Thanks data -- A lot of people worked very hard to make Yawkey happen safely, on time, and on budget.

Under!!!-budget (slightly) according to the facilities manager.

Not to dismiss the hard work put in here, but the declining costs of construction materials means lots of projects have been able to come in under budget recently.

Not to dismiss the hard work put in here, but the declining costs of construction materials means lots of projects have been able to come in under budget recently.

Kz -- good point

the Hub with its relatively booming economy -- can benefit from the almost depression US-wide which has depressed materials and probably labor costs from where they ordinarily would be in this "recovery" phase

We are in the unusual position of having the kind of pricing typical to the middle of the country closer to the supply of materials. If only we had the same relationship with energy.

Perhaps even Vornado/Roth will realize this relative cost advantage and rethink the Filene's Hole

I toured Yawkey today with Build Boston and this building is absolutely ASTOUNDING. Not only is the facade great, but the interiors are equally as awesome. Every single finish is so well thought-out in this building. Doors? Wood grain finish instead of plain wood. Glass? Etched and frosted. Cabinets? Decorative prints instead of typical laminate. Everyone should also check out the donor wall on P2 with the light-up tiles. The indoor meditation garden on 3 (double-height space) is absolutely stunning too.

It makes me really sad that this building has to exist (I nearly burst into tears when they walked us through the infusion area), but Yawkey is by far one of the best medical buildings ever built. This was thanks to an extremely collaborative process between ZGF, MDS, Facilities at DFCI, and the patients and families, who influenced the design the entire way through.

I highly recommend anyone who might be passing through the LMA to stop in and take a quick look around the public floors P2, P1, L, 2, 3.

Something further that moves me is remembering that this was the building which, during it's construction, the Globe had a beautiful article about how the construction workers painted the names of the young cancer patients who were in the building across the street and how the kids were thrilled by that and how their parents were so moved. Just a great triumph of human spirit and connection.

For some reason, I will never forget that article.

Post edit: I just checked this thread - - the article is copied in post #47.

Something further that moves me is remembering that this was the building which, during it's construction, the Globe had a beautiful article about how the construction workers painted the names of the young cancer patients who were in the building across the street and how the kids were thrilled by that and how their parents were so moved. Just a great triumph of human spirit and connection.

For some reason, I will never forget that article.

Post edit: I just checked this thread - - the article is copied in post #47.

Yeah they mentioned that on the tour. Since all the beams got fireproofed, they ended up copying a lot of names onto the non-structural beams in the main fire stair. That one really got me and a lot of us choked up. If you enter the stairwell on 1, you can see the names.

Apparently they had the kids hold up a piece of paper with their name written on it against the glass and then the workers copied their names on the beam. Really had to hold back a stream of tears. We all kind of looked at each other like "I'm gonna lose it, walk up these damn steps."

*Pictures of the kids holding up the papers on the windows are in the same stairwell.

They had a commercial about that which played before movies in movie theatres, I think. Anyone remember that?

^ yup. then they would ask for donations in the theater.

6421423185_a6302ee713_b.jpg

6421421805_9d943bf769_b.jpg

6421424673_2fe20801be_b.jpg

6421426869_44f78256d2_b.jpg

6421431287_95eac44f5f_b.jpg

6421432697_4b3d327977_b.jpg

6421434137_eafeb7e5c5_b.jpg

Nice one, KZ:

6421426869_44f78256d2_b.jpg

img1851qd2.jpg

What time were you shooting today?

These pictures were taken a little past 3. It was a very awkward day to shoot on given how it was mostly overcast, then there'd be a bit of blue sky (like you see above), then the sun would pop out for 5 minutes, etc. and made all the more awkward by my barely having a grasp on the new camera's capabilities. But enough about me...

I believe this is the campus remodeling?

7185430290_b1929461b4_b.jpg

7517658348_1ff755240c_b.jpg

7517654696_906895207a_b.jpg

I was surprised to see how well-populated the front was. A cafe has gone in, and, despite the rather nasty presence of Brookline Ave right at their feet, there were lots of people happily chilling and chatting away:

7517656574_895cf4b8d1_b.jpg

Progress on the remodeling across the way:

7517653582_ae1e491288_b.jpg

And some very fine glass:

7517651298_fa20f6a293_b.jpg

I really love Longwood, its such a sprawling, dense, vibrant place (at least during the day). It feels like Manhattan, one of the few places that does in our city. The architecture also reminds me of Manhattan: some decent, some bad, most just exists: but it's always changing and evolving, and has a lot of height relative to street width. The rest of the city tends to stagnate (a stagnate pond can still be beautiful, but its always the same), The LMA is continually changing.

I like the building and think the final outcome looks better than the initial renderings.

Looking up Binney at the remodeling:

8734557104_53a0a145f7_b.jpg

Back