Yotel Hotel | SPSQ parcel J | 65 Seaport Blvd | South Boston Waterfront

From Sunday.

28596276805_fb67226667_h.jpg

27980275383_0e151a6cc0_h.jpg

27980251263_5086f5ec1b_h.jpg

The final facade is going up from the top down on the corner next to Shake Shack. Red brick and white brick on this part.

Down below, there's the metal white/silver going from the bottom up.

The final facade is going up from the top down on the corner next to Shake Shack. Red brick and white brick on this part.

Down below, there's the metal white/silver going from the bottom up.

CjbSki -- are we going to get the facade equivalent of the Transcontinental Railroad's Golden Spike when the meet :cool:

So theyre laying real brick here...on a yotel..from the top down? Random, but sounds good.

So it's debatable if these are 'real' brick... They are thinner than traditional brick and look to be more tile-like

BostonDrew -- that would explain why you can "lay" them from the top down -- real brick has to sit on the course below -- you can't hang it from above

Tile of course you can "stick" to the underlying backing material -- it doesn't actually rest on anything below -- ultimately just grout in the joints

From the renders, I thought the building was going to be a concrete / off white color. Did I miss the update where this changed to brick color??

Brick/tile in the corners/roof, paneling inside around the windows. If you look close at the render its there.

20141126_Final_YotelA.jpg

It's there, it's just not "brick red" in the render. Not that I'm complaining. What we're getting will look better.

The brick red part is on the rear of the building not shown in the render. It is going to look much better the render though. This along with watermarks ground level add some "brick and mortar" class done right to the street level. The pwc building at night also looks incredible with the hanging chandeliers visible in the lobby.

I wonder if the whole back will be brick. That would be cool so from the fort point neighborhood it blends in but when your at fan pier you see the modern side to match with all the new towers around you.

I wonder if the whole back will be brick. That would be cool so from the fort point neighborhood it blends in but when your at fan pier you see the modern side to match with all the new towers around you.

My guess is that it won't be - I think anywhere you see the tan/yellow insulation will have metal panels over it. It looks like this will just have red brick accents (in my non-professional opinion). I spent a good 15 minutes searching through Google for more renderings of this project and came up with nothing.

My guess is that it won't be - I think anywhere you see the tan/yellow insulation will have metal panels over it. It looks like this will just have red brick accents (in my non-professional opinion). I spent a good 15 minutes searching through Google for more renderings of this project and came up with nothing.

Similar insulation and mount systems are used for precast / masonry panels too, not just metal. But, unless its a faux brick system that mounts similarly, I agree with your guess.

Although this isn't the greatest building of all time look how far we've come on details just since waterside place. That thing had good massing, alright design, but horrendous materials. Were now going out of our way to make sure there is some of that human touch to most new projects going up, lovejoy wharf is another great example. Rowes wharf was built in 1987, theres no excuse for some of the laziness that slipped by, but it seems like its come full circle. There was like a 3-5 year period where huge white precast panels were in style, and it seems although the white isn't gone, the horrendous detail lacking panels are going away. North station may (hopefully be the last) and even there its coming out pretty good. I think some of it was just rushing to get a few things up to get the ball rolling, but luckily pretty much everything thats is going up and has gone up lately is very good. The verdict is still out on this, but at least they're trying.

Back