Yotel Hotel | SPSQ parcel J | 65 Seaport Blvd | South Boston Waterfront

Girder-slab always reminds me of the modular system used to build the Contemporary Hotel at Walt Disney World.

I think they aren't worrying about the floor to floor because guests aren't expected to spend a lot of time awake in their rooms.

Girder-slab always reminds me of the modular system used to build the Contemporary Hotel at Walt Disney World.

I think they aren't worrying about the floor to floor because guests aren't expected to spend a lot of time awake in their rooms.

The expressed reason for girder slab is to reduce the floor to floor. Its pretty clever really. It can really make a difference in a project if getting one more floor will make your pro-forma work. Just think about it. You can save 12 inches per floor ... every 11 floors you can add one that you could not previously. Pretty neat.

cca

The expressed reason for girder slab is to reduce the floor to floor. Its pretty clever really. It can really make a difference in a project if getting one more floor will make your pro-forma work. Just think about it. You can save 12 inches per floor ... every 11 floors you can add one that you could not previously. Pretty neat.

cca

CCA -- looking at the floor slabs -- and mindful that there are derogatory connotations -- it looks as if this could be called Cinder Block Slab and Girder -- for a more poetic description :p

dbpcp.png

How well do girder slabs handle sound insulation between floors vs. a more traditional metal deck + thin layer of concrete setup?

How well do girder slabs handle sound insulation between floors vs. a more traditional metal deck + thin layer of concrete setup?

Arborway

In general -- the air inside the concrete matrix is a very poor transmitter of sound. When a sound wave is traveling it encounters a dense material, the tremendous difference in speed of sound in the concrete versus the air means that the sound that hits the concrete from inside the room mostly rebounds. Thus one would expect there to be very little sound passing through the concrete-air-concrete interface from one floor to another.

However, the concrete web within the slab will transmit sound quite well -- its basically rock that has been cast in a mold -- it will function as a good conductor from one relatively thin diaphragm to the other

Overall transmission will depend on how much of the slab is air versus concrete and a bit on how the cells are constructed

CCA -- looking at the floor slabs -- and mindful that there are derogatory connotations -- it looks as if this could be called Cinder Block Slab and Girder -- for a more poetic description :p

ok

The precast plank is not the only layer. There is often a 1"-2" topping slab on top. All of that mass does a very good job with acoustics.

To tell the truth, this is never where there is acoustic intrusion in my experience. The walls are almost always the culprit these days. No one will pay for a true acoustic separated wall it seems.

(At least not in the cheap hotels I can afford to stay at.)

cca

The precast plank is not the only layer. There is often a 1"-2" topping slab on top. All of that mass does a very good job with acoustics.

To tell the truth, this is never where there is acoustic intrusion in my experience. The walls are almost always the culprit these days. No one will pay for a true acoustic separated wall it seems.

(At least not in the cheap hotels I can afford to stay at.)

cca

Sorry to resurrect the girder-slab question, but are those spaces in the precast slab used as chases for electrical, sprinkler, plumbing or does that conflict with their structural purposes?

Sorry to resurrect the girder-slab question, but are those spaces in the precast slab used as chases for electrical, sprinkler, plumbing or does that conflict with their structural purposes?

Nah, nothing goes in those cores. Plumbing & fire protection-wise you really couldn't put plumbing in those hollow cores, especially waste piping pitched at 1/4"/12" (3" & smaller) and 1/8"/12" (4" and larger). Fire protection you couldn't either because you'd be coring through the slab so often with all the drops to the pendents and compromise the integrity of the slab. The hollow cores are really just to minimize the material and thus the cost of the slabs.

Nah, nothing goes in those cores. Plumbing & fire protection-wise you really couldn't put plumbing in those hollow cores, especially waste piping pitched at 1/4"/12" (3" & smaller) and 1/8"/12" (4" and larger). Fire protection you couldn't either because you'd be coring through the slab so often with all the drops to the pendents and compromise the integrity of the slab. The hollow cores are really just to minimize the material and thus the cost of the slabs.

Cost and weight. Less weight can mean lighter steel which also equals less cost. It's a nice compounding approach.

There's nothing more hipster-chic these days than exposed fire protection system plumbing. I hope they don't burry it in a soffit ; )

Back