Yotel Hotel | SPSQ parcel J | 65 Seaport Blvd | South Boston Waterfront

That architectural style is called "second tier midwestern state university dormitory circa 1963 revival".

Bingo

The Fort Point Landmarks Commission has a lot of say what is going on in the neighborhood. Having been through the process with them, it was most likely a concession to appease them.

Well I hope the Commission learns from this disaster. I'm sure there were folks who told them it would turn out poorly, but they didn't listen. This resulting mess can't be what they really wanted. The backside looks like the projects.

The only thing this achieves is making the front less ugly than the back.

"Woof" indeed.

I like the front. Something different from all the glass and steel nearby. The back is a fucking disaster and I hope the neighborhood gets the message for next time.

^^True. The Pru Center Revival is so horrid, it's almost comic.

The Ft Point side is extremely piss poor. They should faux age it.

The back is barely noticeable from anywhere in the seaport and the few angles it is most of it is blocked by the other brick buildings. I honestly think if you look at this besides the one or two places where you can have the back entirely in front of you, it actually blends in well and it was a smart idea to not have a huge white blob at the end of a couple historic fort point streets.

Well I hope the Commission learns from this disaster. I'm sure there were folks who told them it would turn out poorly, but they didn't listen. This resulting mess can't be what they really wanted. The backside looks like the projects.

The only thing this achieves is making the front less ugly than the back.

"Woof" indeed.

Technically The FPLC doesn't have jurisdiction of this parcel, their boundary ends at 47 Farnsworth where the new construction begins. (see plan below)The owners of the Yotel still wanted to play nice with the commission to keep relations positive, so they voluntarily worked with them. This was their attempt to stay respectful to the old neighborhood, however lacking it is.

vXAOSgH.jpg

Technically The FPLC doesn't have jurisdiction of this parcel, their boundary ends at 47 Farnsworth where the new construction begins. (see plan below)The owners of the Yotel still wanted to play nice with the commission to keep relations positive, so they voluntarily worked with them. This was their attempt to stay respectful to the old neighborhood, however lacking it is.

So what you're saying is that we can go back to aiming our pitchforks back towards Yotel for this mess? I get that some like the front, but most would agree the back is more than loathed, even moreso than the back of the Lucas.

woah, woah...woah

let's not get all crazy here

My guess is that if they did the front design in the back, people would be on here freaking out about not respecting the history in Fort Point. Obviously you aren't going to make a 2017 building look like something from 1902. It will and should never look like it always belonged there.

Exactly. Most sight lines to the entire back of this will be covered up and if you've ever been down one of these fort point streets you can clearly see that the brick helps this building blend in vs having a ginormous blob of white hulking over these small brick buildings in historical fort point. These streets time capsule look would have been ruined if the white carried over to the back.

They have it under control, a lot of people cant see the end game here and are too focused on the now. This is going to be one of Bostons better neighborhoods in 10 years. In 5 its still going to be a wonderful place to go, it already is in some ways.

They're building an entire neighborhood from scratch...which has a historically negative outcome in most cases, and so far they're doing a good job. 1MPD was a huge dud but thankfully not much was going up at the time and it was a 1 of 1. Each new round of buildings coming up gets better than the last. Now pier 4 and parcel M are next up. Those are going to be incredible, and then even better yet will come up after they do.

Last edited:
Obviously you aren't going to make a 2017 building look like something from 1902. It will and should never look like it always belonged there.

Fugazi aging one wall is absolutely wrong in every case? i don't understand. If it looks better, is it not better? Or just do it like Stop and Shop Bakery or Lovejoy Wharf.... or even 110 Broad St. it's just a wall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btZi6EiIXbY

For all the failings of this particular project, it is what's visible in Beeline's last two photos that is the clear win here: the new pedestrian and bike connection to Farnsworth St.

Yotel has opened. Time to check out a new rooftop lounge. From Hoteliers.com:

Sky Lounge is Boston’s newest indoor and outdoor rooftop spot serving refreshing, creatively crafted cocktails, local beer and small bites alongside 360 degree views. On the 12th floor, the indoor lounge opens to a rooftop terrace where guests and locals can relax and enjoy views of the neighborhood, harbor and the city skyline.

Back