⚫ One Marina Park @ Fan Pier | One Marina Park Drive | Seaport

Re: Fan Pier

Den,

I wasn't bustin' on him. He proved he wasn't some cheap "drive by" artist, and manfully showed what he had. I like his style.

OK, its better, no doubt, but you are setting the bar pretty low. The office building looks like the progeny of the JFK Building and the pre-remodel "Little Pru". The yellow buildings look like the pre-dye job project tenements at Columbia Point. I'm looking real close for the GM Motorama architect's stamp on the renderings.

Yeah, the FAA screwed the pooch. Toby don't dig it, but its cool if others do!

I wasn't bustin' on him. He proved he wasn't some cheap "drive by" artist, and manfully showed what he had. I like his style.

Phew, it's getting kinda hot in here! LOL

OK, its better, no doubt, but you are setting the bar pretty low.

Considering what Joe built over at Park Lane, I felt like I didn't have a choice. Sorta like anything's better than a parking lot thing.

I actually like the development as presented. I tend not to trust "star" architecture trying to be more than it is. The human scale of the streetscape and the relationship with the "background" architecture are important elements for me, and I think this development addresses these concerns.

i'm also a fan of the current renderings... I'll note, however, I was lucky enough to see an early (2003) rendering, of Park Lane Seaport (which I sadly can't put my hands on right now)... the building as constructed barely resembles the building in the rendering... a few of the differences include: much larger windows with better looking glass, a red brick 'appearance' to much of the building... suffice it to say building materials were of significantly higher quality prior to the (suspected) value engineering...
lets hope that MassMutuals deep pockets will save this project.

None of the buildings look bad in my opinion, but they don't look great either. I'm happy that they're using more glass than many of the other South Boston projects which used a ridiculous amount of precast. The layout of the area looks pretty good, but I wish they would release renderings of each individual tower so we can get a better idea of what we're going to be getting.

The problem with Fan Pier and Seaport Square is that they're only owned by two companies. 7 Buildings are being built in Fan Pier, and something like 14 buildings in Seaport Square...this means there are over 20 buildings being built with only 2 architects. Although I do like both of these projects, I wish more architects could have been hired in order to mix-up the styles a bit more.

However, I feel one advantage of having only two developers being involved in the projects is that they will probably be able to turn this area into a "true" neighborhood, since they already have areas planned out to be their neighborhood center, etc.

I would be more of a fan of Fan Pier... but my problem is that Park Lane looked pretty nice in the renderings and the execution was horrible.

That isn't necessarily just an architect's bad design, Park Lane is the blunder of a developer cutting corners, and cheaping out.

Forgive me for being pessimistic, but just take a look at Park Lane and it's hard not to be pessimistic. There is no attention to detail and the whole thing feels like the Cadillac's of the 1980s: they were just Chevy's with different hood ornaments and extra chrome.

As somebody who's lived in Boston my whole life, I hope Fan Pier is an amazing destination, but I am fearful it wont' be.

Last edited:

For some of the buildings. Nothing ICA level here, but decent looking buildings

Thank god. I never liked the ICA. Its a glass tetris piece and a lego piece on top of it. I think the outside wall is deteriorating too.

I think the outside wall is deteriorating too.

I believe this finish was supposed to be clad in wood like the underside of the big harborside cantilever. Value engineering.

At 2 A.M.
Last call.
Strap on beer goggles,
Size up the "beauties" left in the hall.
It might look smart now,
But in the morning
Its still
A cow.

fan001hj0.jpg

fan002ez2.jpg

This is incorrect, at least for Fan Pier. There is a master plan architect, but each building will be designed by a different architect.

None of the buildings look bad in my opinion, but they don't look great either. I'm happy that they're using more glass than many of the other South Boston projects which used a ridiculous amount of precast. The layout of the area looks pretty good, but I wish they would release renderings of each individual tower so we can get a better idea of what we're going to be getting.

The problem with Fan Pier and Seaport Square is that they're only owned by two companies. 7 Buildings are being built in Fan Pier, and something like 14 buildings in Seaport Square...this means there are over 20 buildings being built with only 2 architects. Although I do like both of these projects, I wish more architects could have been hired in order to mix-up the styles a bit more.

However, I feel one advantage of having only two developers being involved in the projects is that they will probably be able to turn this area into a "true" neighborhood, since they already have areas planned out to be their neighborhood center, etc.

Van

the Mayor for Life calls the facilities -- Pottopotties -- please as the Moderator -- you should be helping us in keeping up with the correct Terminology

After all what did you expect -- Jumbletrons?

Westy

I recently heard Mayuh Memimo speak about the economic strength of downtown and he said that "down at Fan Pier, we got a biotech company gonna sign a lease - will be officially announced in the middla July"

He said it with certainty, so I suppose Vertex has overcome their objections and have settled on the building once and for all. This makes me nervous because Vertex has never posted a profit and may or may not be selling snake oil at he moment - nobody's really sure.

The Mayor followed this statement about Fan Pier up with this:

"Also got Gemzine. Doin Biotech."

At the MFA door opening, the Mayor:

"The MFA, which opened in 1972 ..."

"When Roger opened the Huntington Ave doors ..."

Oh, Mumbles, what will we do with you, you're incorrigible!

the crane is up! I saw it yesterday when I flew into Logan from Nashville!

Back