đź”· Open Thread

This is horrible news. That building is incredible and like Ms. Tsein said, it's a building that we study in architecture school because it is so successful from its initial parti to its programatic layout to its facade and tectonics.

Based on how much we talked about it, I wouldn't be surprised if Wentworth and other architecture schools held a vigil for the building. Such a shame for such a rich building to just be tossed in the trash in order to build another edgy glass box.

Headquarters of some of the largest electronics, car, and home appliance manufacturers in the world? Seems about right to me. Samsung alone would get them pretty high.

I wasn't aware Samsung was a bank. This is a list of financial centers, not corporate/industrial ones.

Yeah, I'm aware, but I still don't think their one "Samsung Securities" division is really enough to propel Seoul to the top of the list of world financial centers.

On top of that, they also have the 14th largest insurance company in the world. And that's just two of their divisions. And that's just in ONE South Korean company. Again, not crazy to think they'd be ranked so high.

Edit: Sorry, should have said LIFE insurance.

In any case, just take a look at the cursory wiki list and you'll realize it's not crazy to think Seoul is big time. Who knows what criteria the ranking was based on, but it's hardly laughable on it's face.

Last edited:
On top of that, they also have the 14th largest insurance company in the world. And that's just two of their divisions. And that's just in ONE South Korean company. Again, not crazy to think they'd be ranked so high.

They have the 14th largest life insurance company, overall they're the 49th largest insurance company worldwide. I don't know a lot about Seoul's finance scene but it takes more than a few major headquarters to put a city at the top of this list.

Damn.

In more traditional jobs, the fallout from the subprime- mortgage collapse a half-decade ago continues to pummel people, including the architects who designed homes. The number of them ages 25 to 34 has fallen by 41 percent since 2007, compared with the total drop in the profession of 25 percent.

Architecture graduates ages 25 to 29 had the highest unemployment rate of 57 degree programs surveyed by the Education Department in 2009. Their 9.6 percent jobless level rivaled the 10.6 percent unemployment for all Americans ages 25 to 29 that year, including those without college degrees.

American Dream Fades for Generation Y Professionals

Computers and Technology are to blame with the reduction in jobs.... Lets hope they don't automate trains or buses otherwise I will have a hard future...

Someone needs to design the automated system, and such a system needs even more maintenance and repair.

Someone needs to design the automated system, and such a system needs even more maintenance and repair.

This, and the the savings from automation free up capital for investment in new jobs, technology, and other productive business opportunities. Automated mass production has driven costs down and opened up markets to people that previously couldn't have afford the goods along with creating new sales and distribution jobs.

The internet, modern low cost international freight, and 3d printing technology will allow every individual to run a global cottage industry. Think about how incredible that is.

This, and the the savings from automation free up capital for investment in new jobs, technology, and other productive business opportunities. Automated mass production has driven costs down and opened up markets to people that previously couldn't have afford the goods along with creating new sales and distribution jobs.

The internet, modern low cost international freight, and 3d printing technology will allow every individual to run a global cottage industry. Think about how incredible that is.

It destories jobs and makes the human race more lazy....those markets are in poorer nations which have balanced economies....in the US its tilted....

If you think dangerous back breaking monotonous work in a factory is better than automation, you haven't shoveled enough coal in your life to know better.

Bad. Ass.

http://www.theatlantic.com/national...ls-trial-should-be-a-front-page-story/274944/

One rich white girl missing in Aruba? WALL TO WALL COVERAGE! Hundreds of poor minority babies murdered, their feet saved as trophies by a 'doctor' that upon conviction and likely execution will be the worst serial killer in US history? Crickets.

And thanks for posting this. Without you, I'd never have heard of this.

+1. Technology is the greatest boon there is for productivity increases - which means people moving to more value-add / intellectual tasks, and therefore higher living standards / quality of life. The plow, the tractor, the steam engine, the loom, the cotton gin - all of these things were disruptive technologies, and we should all be happy today that 90% of us aren't needed to do mindless manual-labor tasks to keep the rest of us from starving or drowning in sewage.

As for Gosnell, well, the mainstream media are fully invested in the Democrats' agenda, a key point of which is massively politicizing abortion ("the Republicans are waging a war on women! they want to steal your womb and tell it what to do! they hate women! haaatteee wooomennnn!"). Anything that shines a negative light on that agenda - no matter how monstrous the act in question is, or how tangentially it might impact that agenda - will not be covered by the mainstream media. For them ideology trumps reporting responsibilities, and even business sense.

Re. Seoul's placement in the list of top financial services centers globally: I have no idea what algorithm put it ahead of Frankfurt and Tokyo in particular. Ditto for Zurich and Geneva over Frankfurt. And Vancouver over Sydney and SF? Come on.

Back