đź”· Open Thread

Yes , please come ...its very hard getting the members to post on the newer section...there still on the World section...

Flew back into Boston to disapprovingly meet one of my daughters' fiance. It went much alike:
[youtube]https://youtu.be/LS-ErOKpO4E?t=43s[/youtube]

The BVG attempts a viral video for their new "Weil wir dich lieben." (Because we love you.) campaign:

It's a parody, by the same guy, of the song of the same name, "Is Mir Egal," or I Don't Care (it's all the same to me), which went viral last year on YouTube in Germany.

Some highlights: "Loud music? I don't care." "Granny with Goths? I don't care." "Man on Horse? I don't Care."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvcpy4WjZMs

So tired of seeing that atrocity all over the net recently. It's fucking horrendous and not worthy of calling itself "architecture."

It's different. Don't see many proposals like this get seriously(?) floated. People like (or at least like talking about) novel things.

I think if it were toned down about 50% he'd be on to something

I think it fails functionally the most; people arent going to want all this weird shit blocking their windows and their views out. Imagine some of the shadows and whatnot created in the interior spaces

I agree that a toned down version that shows more restraint in its use of ornamentation and is more cohesive could be really beautiful and very popular.

"Paging Mr. Chiafaro..."

But seriously, the design is funny as shit, and reminds me of a totem pole.

Random thought. Recently came back from NYC where I stayed in the 44-story DoubleTree by the Hilton on 8 Stone Street in Fidi. Got placed on the 29th floor with a terrible view which gave me the time to wonder and realize, Boston doesn't really have any tall hotels. The tallest is probably either the Ritz Carlton at Millennium Place or the Marriot at the Custom House or the Weston at Back Bay. I wonder why is that, as in why hasn't a hotel chain considered opening a hotel where they are located high above the city. I guess the Four Season going into 1 Dalton will be a started but I feel like the market is probably there and they can probably command a hefty price for any wealthy tourist who wants to stay 500 ft+ above the city for a couple of days.

Random thought. Recently came back from NYC where I stayed in the 44-story DoubleTree by the Hilton on 8 Stone Street in Fidi. Got placed on the 29th floor with a terrible view which gave me the time to wonder and realize, Boston doesn't really have any tall hotels. The tallest is probably either the Ritz Carlton at Millennium Place or the Marriot at the Custom House or the Weston at Back Bay. I wonder why is that, as in why hasn't a hotel chain considered opening a hotel where they are located high above the city. I guess the Four Season going into 1 Dalton will be a started but I feel like the market is probably there and they can probably command a hefty price for any wealthy tourist who wants to stay 500 ft+ above the city for a couple of days.

The Ritz hotel (in Millennium Place I) only goes up to Level 12. The rest of the tower is residential.

Also, the Marriott Copley Place & Westin Copley Place are 38 and 36 stories respectively. They are essentially the same height, with the Westin allegedly actually being slightly taller than the Marriott.

Last edited:
The hotel portion of the Four Seasons is on the lower floors it only goes up about 1/3 of the tower. The upper portion is reserved for the residences. I think the reason for that is that it is more important to get high prices from condo sales for views than it is to get the higher room rates.

Be careful what you wish for. Many of the tall hotels are tall because land prices are so high and they are built cheaply. There is a notorious developer, Sam Chang, who has been throwing these up all over town and they are as cookie cutter as a suburban shopping mall.

Be careful what you wish for. Many of the tall hotels are tall because land prices are so high and they are built cheaply. There is a notorious developer, Sam Chang, who has been throwing these up all over town and they are as cookie cutter as a suburban shopping mall.

True but if we could get something like the new Comcast Tower going up in Philly where only the top 15 floors are hotel space and the bottom 44 office space, developers can make the necessary revenue and support a hotel without foregoing quality. Perhaps that's what Boston should consider doing for the Winthrop Garage.

http://philly.curbed.com/archives/2014/01/15/new-comcast-tower-to-dwarf-old-comcast-tower.php

Back