10 Farnsworth Street | Fort Point

Oh good! Guilty myself of conclusion jumping - relieved to see this won't suck after all.

The girder is at the ground floor level. Any sign of girders or flanges appearing on the upper floors?

I'll walk my comment back. It does look like there are slots between the black panels to accept fins all the way up the facade. Here's hoping.

I think the original pics I posted earlier were too big? They disappeared somehow.

These were from earlier this afternoon:

QFL1TEVl.jpg

jM1aYvrl.jpg

TiAhppZl.jpg

What's the architectural reason for having the top level and mech level have a different pattern from levels 2-5? The pattern is shifted over ever so slightly and altered so little that I find it hard to argue this is form follows function. This is such a minor detail you have to look at it for a while to notice it, so I don't mind it as much as other random pattern facades, but I'm still trying to understand the method from a design standpoint. My guess is to break up what could end up being a repetitious wall/add something slightly interesting while maintaining the uniformity seen on the neighboring buildings, but that's from my non-professional viewpoint...

Regardless, once these girders/fins are added, this is easily going to be one of the best designed buildings in Boston from this building boom. Can't wait for it to be finished. BostonDrew's photos look extremely promising for how this will turn out.

What's the architectural reason for having the top level and mech level have a different pattern from levels 2-5? The pattern is shifted over ever so slightly and altered so little that I find it hard to argue this is form follows function. This is such a minor detail you have to look at it for a while to notice it, so I don't mind it as much as other random pattern facades, but I'm still trying to understand the method from a design standpoint. My guess is to break up what could end up being a repetitious wall/add something slightly interesting while maintaining the uniformity seen on the neighboring buildings, but that's from my non-professional viewpoint...

It is form follows function design.

Check out the floor plans on the 10 Farnsworth website:
http://www.10farnsworth.com/

The top floor penthouse is a full floor, 3 BR unit, plus a private roof deck section on the mechanical floor above.

The lower level units are smaller, and have a cutout section for the elevator garage component in the back of the building.

The change in window pattern accommodates the different unit layouts.

The fins make this. Big sigh of relief seeing them go up, the texture they add is absolutely necessary.

Hey AB,

You know what 80% of this buildings opaque surfaces are made out of?

Alucobond. (gasp heard around the forums)

I suggest that instead of critiquing a useful material, you critique the thoughtless use of it on other projects. This is a great example of what a good material can do in the hands of a thoughtful designer.

cca

Hey AB,

I suggest that instead of critiquing a useful material, you critique the thoughtless use of it on other projects. This is a great example of what a good material can do in the hands of a thoughtful designer.

cca

+1. Although I must have missed the posts where people were actually critiquing the material? I thought most of the critique was around the apparent lack of girders as shown in the renders, which of course we now know is untrue.

+1. Although I must have missed the posts where people were actually critiquing the material? I thought most of the critique was around the apparent lack of girders as shown in the renders, which of course we now know is untrue.

I think s/he's talking about in other threads. I agree, it definitely gets a bad rap here and there on aB.

But some buildings deserve it **clear throat**

CCA proves others most certainly do not.

I shall henceforth not blame the material for its implementation.

Hot damn. The fins/fake flanges MAKE this. Fantastic architecture.

Hey AB,

cca

My impression of the complaints concerning Alucobond around here have been in reference not to its use but to its overuse.

Back