100 Pier 4 | 136-146 Northern Avenue | Seaport

Re: New residential mid-tower set for Pier 4

No idea what that Hanover rendering is. Like most renderings, I suspect it's just a placeholder just to present the site to investors and prospects.

Here's another, I think probably more in line with what will be built.

http://www.arrowstreet.com/project.php?p=42&c=7

My guess is that Add Inc. hasn't had their final design approved yet.

The only problem is that rendering has been around for a long time...it was the first--and I believe only other--rendering of this project until this nightmare reared its ugly head. One looks beautiful, the other looks like a nightmare.

Do these buildings actually have architects, or is it like cul-de-sac developments where the developer just sort of mish-mashes a bunch of shit together?

Miami called and wants that back.

Surely you're not talking about the render that Sicilian posted...right?

No, I meant Mike's...

I'm sorry to say it but that's uglier than anything built in Miami over the past decade. This is Philly-ugly.

that rendering has to be old. One Marina Park isn't in it.

You're right; no self-respecting Miami condoplex would be that squat.

But still, it screams South Florida. It's basically this:

marquis-condo-miami-view.jpg

...plus this:

1089_one-miami-condo.jpg

(posting these pics I have to remark that, for all that we condemn the Seaport's superblock-ness, it still looks quaintly "Bostonian" compared to what they've got down in the Sunbelt)

Look on the bright side, since it's all pre-cast one day you can just pop off this hideous facade and put on a more attractive one. Right?

(posting these pics I have to remark that, for all that we condemn the Seaport's superblock-ness, it still looks quaintly "Bostonian" compared to what they've got down in the Sunbelt)

Rubbish -- if the Sunbelt is the paradigm then surely the bar has been set too low to fail. Even still, I can name plenty of Sunbelt city development projects vastly superior to the Seaport.

Yeah, this is definitely extremely outdated. The other image on Hanover's project page is this extremely outdated master plan of the Seaport with zoning for "New City Hall."

imagegen.ashx

Rubbish -- if the Sunbelt is the paradigm then surely the bar has been set too low to fail. Even still, I can name plenty of Sunbelt city development projects vastly superior to the Seaport.

I wasn't setting the bar at the Sunbelt -- just remarking that a lot of our criticisms stem from our superior local urban product. If the Seaport were being built in Miami we might be marvelling at how restrained, relative to the rest of the city, its street widths were. If it were being built in Tampa, we'd be praising the city for building at least an approximation of continuous urban streetwalls.

Look on the bright side, since it's all pre-cast one day you can just pop off this hideous facade and put on a more attractive one. Right?

More likely it will get re-skinned with the 2050 version of AlucoBond & EIFS.

I wasn't setting the bar at the Sunbelt -- just remarking that a lot of our criticisms stem from our superior local urban product. If the Seaport were being built in Miami we might be marvelling at how restrained, relative to the rest of the city, its street widths were. If it were being built in Tampa, we'd be praising the city for building at least an approximation of continuous urban streetwalls.

I don't understand where people get that Boston has "superior local urban products" (aside from density). Our architecture is shit. I would have to say, with a few exceptions, none of our high-rises would stand out in any major city in the US. The only exceptional example of architecture found in Boston are low-rises.

And for bdurden. Have you even been to Philly? I dropped by there last summer and their products are vastly superior than the poor showings we have here. Their City Hall is already more marvelous than anything you can find in Boston.

he only exceptional example of architecture found in Boston are low-rises.

....and for some reason that doesn't count?

....and for some reason that doesn't count?

It does count. Unfortunately, every city have examples of exceptional low-rise architecture. So how does that make Boston superior?

It does count. Unfortunately, every city have examples of exceptional low-rise architecture. So how does that make Boston superior?

Boston has more of it.

Boston has more of it.

I would say Boston has a comparable amount to, let's say Philly, which earlier was suggested as ugly.

Philly is another good example, and definitely not ugly.

Boston has the North End, South End, Back Bay, Beacon Hill, and the Fens for starters! And that only takes in the core neighborhoods. Does Philly have the same? I would suggest that only NYC, Chicago, DC and San Francisco match or surpass Boston's low rise neighborhoods/architecture
!

Back