100 Pier 4 | 136-146 Northern Avenue | Seaport

Re: New residential mid-tower set for Pier 4

Boston has the North End, South End, Back Bay, Beacon Hill, and the Fens for starters! And that only takes in the core neighborhoods. Does Philly have the same? I would suggest that only NYC, Chicago, DC and San Francisco match or surpass Boston's low rise neighborhoods/architecture
!

atlanta -- i'd subtract a couple from your list (you can pick 2 except SF) but I'd add New Orleans

It does count. Unfortunately, every city have examples of exceptional low-rise architecture. So how does that make Boston superior?

When I said "superior," I wasn't using it in a sense that conveyed that it was superior to anywhere else specifically (i.e. as a synonym for "awesome"). But if I were, I would have been using it in comparison to the Sunbelt, not Philly, SF, or DC...

I wasn't setting the bar at the Sunbelt -- just remarking that a lot of our criticisms stem from our superior local urban product. If the Seaport were being built in Miami we might be marvelling at how restrained, relative to the rest of the city, its street widths were. If it were being built in Tampa, we'd be praising the city for building at least an approximation of continuous urban streetwalls.

If you are looking for restraint and a superior local urban product, look no farther than Miami Beach.

When I said "superior," I wasn't using it in a sense that conveyed that it was superior to anywhere else specifically (i.e. as a synonym for "awesome"). But if I were, I would have been using it in comparison to the Sunbelt, not Philly, SF, or DC...

I was referring to bdurden on that one

Boston has the North End, South End, Back Bay, Beacon Hill, and the Fens for starters! And that only takes in the core neighborhoods. Does Philly have the same? I would suggest that only NYC, Chicago, DC and San Francisco match or surpass Boston's low rise neighborhoods/architecture
!

Actually they do. If you are looking for rowhouses, Philly takes the cake. Old City resembles a bit like North End and the neighborhood surrounding City Center are comparable to the SE, BB, and the Fens. I spent a 2 hour walk around the city on my first day visiting all the art studio that they have during the first Friday of each month and there were times when I felt like I didn't leave Boston.

Boston's downtown however is better IMO because it is more centralized whereas Philly's feels like I am walking down rows of cubicles in a giant office.

^My comment on Philly had absolutely nothing to do with Philly low-rise architecture, rather the dozens of pre-fab apartment/condo towers going up in the city center that look just like our Seaport proposal. Realistically it doesn't matter whether it is built in Philly, Boston, Miami, Houston, it remains ugly and a stain on the urban fabric of a city.

Of course Philly has great low-rise urban character, like New Orleans, Miami Beach, Brooklyn, etc.

Brace yourselves. This is bad. Really bad.

Plans afloat for Anthony’s

Family inks deal for Pier 4

0bc55c_050312Pier_square.jpg

By Greg Turner
Thursday, May 3, 2012

The table is set at Anthony’s Pier 4 for developers to cook up the latest property transformation on the South Boston waterfront.

New England Development has finalized a deal with the Athanas family to take over the storied culinary destination and — after 13 years of negotiations and permitting — launch a three-building project across the 1,000-foot pier.

“It’s an imminent closing. We hope to be under construction with the utilities virtually immediately,” said Bill Cronin, a vice president at the Newton firm led by mall king Stephen Karp.

In the project’s estimated $150 million first phase, development partner Hanover Co. of Houston will erect a 21-story luxury apartment tower on Seaport Boulevard next to the Atlantic Beer Garden. A hotel and condo complex will follow.

The 1,000-seat Anthony’s Pier 4 will continue dishing out lunch and dinner to patrons — until eventually moving into the base of the hotel.

“At end of construction, Anthony’s Pier 4 will be in a much smaller location. It was a mega-restaurant, but that was then, this is now,” said George Regan, spokesman for the Athanas family.

The iconic restaurant, operated by late founder Anthony Athanas’ four sons, opened in 1963 and grossed as much as $28 million a year in its heyday in the 1970s.

“Anthony built a landmark in Boston that became world-recognized. Obviously it’s emotional, but times change,” Regan told the Herald. “The change is good and it’s exciting.”

Like other Hub restaurants, Pier 4’s business declined during the recession, contributing to missed city tax payments. The redevelopment is expected to generate $8 million a year in property taxes and $4 million annually in hotel taxes.

The eatery’s spot at the far end of the pier, beyond a parking lot, will become a park — an open-space trade-off for the building density the developers requested for the rest of the 9.5-acre site.

“It’s the most expensive piece of real estate that won’t be developed in Massachusetts history,” Cronin said during a real estate industry event held yesterday at the restaurant.

The apartment tower, set to open in the fall of 2014, will contain 369 units ranging from penthouses to small “innovation units” for young professionals. The building will have underground parking, club amenities, a restaurant and a second-floor outdoor pool deck.

“We think on a hot summer day,” said Hanover’s David Hall, “that it’s going to be a spectacular space in the middle of the burgeoning Seaport District with restaurants and bars all around it.”

-— gturner@bostonherald.com

http://bostonherald.com/business/real_estate/view.bg?articleid=1061128891&srvc=business&position=3

That design is rather dreadful.

Regarding the park at the end of the pier - this was expected. I think by now we need to accept that the BRA is intent on building out the actual waterfront to be just another Greenway - no imagination beyond park park park bench shrub park.

Re the other kind of park - I have no reason to believe that any surface parking will remain in the final build out.

Looks like MIAMI VICE episode...

looks like the old Travelers building after it was blown up!

Is this:

wtsnpu.png

16k8dmv.png

no longer happening? Or does the render in the article match somewhat the towers near the back of the drawing, labelled as office/retail on the schematic?

yes, i believe this is the tower labelled as office. It was mentioned earlier in the thread that the office was changed to residential.

I think you're off by a block. The building referenced in the article is in the bottom left of the schematic, immediately adjacent to the "pier 4 water commons"

That may be. I also understood this building matched the background towers on the rendering you posted. Although by "match" we would both need to mean either a value-engineered downgrade or a sketchup fart.

I'm so confused. Where is the park supposed to go if the ICA is in front of this new residential building?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see where this is supposed to go now. Is the Pier4 park supposed to be the proposed park? It doesn't seem that big.

See the site schematic that Henry posted. This building is far left, against Seaport Blvd. New park will be far right on the pier, where the restaurant is now. Two buildings seem to awaiting construction in the middle.

I'm so confused. Where is the park supposed to go if the ICA is in front of this new residential building?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see where this is supposed to go now. Is the Pier4 park supposed to be the proposed park? It doesn't seem that big.

type, et al -- the park is the circle at the end of Pier 4 -- where the eponymous restaurant is now located The building is at the other end of the Pier
16k8dmv.png

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=140+N...Boston,+Suffolk,+Massachusetts+02127&t=h&z=18

From looking at the pdf available on the New England Development website the building in question is only slightly visible in this render -- not the one outlined in Red -- but just to the left of it
wtsnpu.png
[/img]

Last edited:

The above images ^^ that HenryAlan is using are images that I modified with a red box when I was asking some questions about the tower that was supposed to go in front of the ICA. Please ignore it in regards to this thread. It is not related to Pier 4.

Sorry for all the confusion. The images were taken out of context.

I hope the original rendering there gets built out as is, its great. As i understand it, this is the third and farthest building from the water on the Pier 4 side. Seeing this rendering, my optimism for the future quality is somewhat shaken.

I hope the original rendering there gets built out as is, its great. As i understand it, this is the third and farthest building from the water on the Pier 4 side. Seeing this rendering, my optimism for the future quality is somewhat shaken.

choo -- given as the description of this first phase building includes some of Mayor Menio's Tokyo flats -- I think that the quality for the overall comple will go into the the front building to be built atop the Pier 4 Restaurant footprint, and the Hotel in the middle of Pier 4 that sticks out into the harbor even with the ICA

Back